Upside Down Flag - Distress Signal

Cutsu

Hey everyone i'll be short and to the point, down a couple streets from my house there is a house. They are flying an upside down flag and my first thought is to go over there and see whats wrong but what do i say?

" Hello sir, whats the problem? "

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but i didn't know where else to put it.

If you have your patched BDUs or Class A's, do it in uniform. It may just put a bit of reality in him....

ETA- I just thought of something. Imagine this- the same man ends up with local National Guard unit performing a rescue. They hold everyone at gunpoint until they find out it's only because of an opinion.
THAT would be great!

Personally, I don't care about his opinion. I pay my taxes. If he disagrees, that's fine. His business, not mine. But to me hanging Old Glory out upside down is like dialing 911 over the same issue.

Last edited:
First Amendment right. can't do anything about it, he has the right to be an idiot.

this was tried in the seventies with the Souix Nation he can do it.

lol like your train of thought Hmmm, wish i would have thought bout putting my uniform on. Turns out it was a woman that lives their and her son is in the Army. I showed up in my civilian clothes and at first she thought i was trying to sell her something or that i was up to no good. I told her i was there about her flag and after a moment of staring at me like an idiot she told me that it was "Military code for distress"...

I stared at her and told her thats why i was there, then she told me about 10 more times that it meant DISTRESS... :) I asked her what was wrong and if i could help her with anything... then she promptly shut the door in my face...

So my thoughts are that either her son was dead, got deployed to somewhere dangerous or a political opinion... whatever floats her boat.... her flag has been that way for about a month now...

Now that i think about it it would be really funny to get my unit together with weapons and have us circle the house to find an entry point check the house top to bottom and say " Well, Ma'am, since we didn't find any terrorists on the property we can only assume its you." imagine how much she'd freak out...

But sadly, thats probably not an option... I did my part its her problem now.

Last edited:
First Amendment right. can't do anything about it, he has the right to be an idiot.

Roger that, Marine but you still don't gotta like it. Idiots scare the crap out of me anyway. Too many of them.

Read my sig

Oh and somebody needs to find out what the emergency is at his house, if there's no emergency, tell him to either fly the Flag right or don;t fly it at all.

Hey everyone i'll be short and to the point, down a couple streets from my house there is a house. They are flying an upside down flag and my first thought is to go over there and see whats wrong but what do i say?

" Hello sir, whats the problem? "

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but i didn't know where else to put it.

The nation is in distress my friend. Definitely go over and ask what is wrong with this country. I bet he'll point you out to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VebOTc-7shU

As far as the other gentleman's suggestion of putting your uniform on and going over there, scaring the guy off, I don't suggest you do that. Instead, learn about this organization, called Oath Keepers. http://oathkeepers.org/oath/

Let the swat team tell him

Wouldn't that cause people to unite, form militias, and overthrow the government?

You know, so that you remember your history, Thomas Jefferson once said "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." This is UNITED STATES, not Nazi Germany, not Soviet Russia, not North Korea, or Cuba for crying out loud. You don't terrorize civilians. If you are into terror I suggest you join Al Qaeda, or CIA operatives that run it.

When you shut down freedom of speech, and institute tyranny, people are going to come after you to kill you. Believe me, this is the most just type of killing that there could ever be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nation is in distress my friend. Definitely go over and ask what is wrong with this country. I bet he'll point you out to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VebOTc-7shU

As far as the other gentleman's suggestion of putting your uniform on and going over there, scaring the guy off, I don't suggest you do that. Instead, learn about this organization, called Oath Keepers. http://oathkeepers.org/oath/

Wouldn't that cause people to unite, form militias, and overthrow the government?

You know, so that you remember your history, Thomas Jefferson once said "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." This is UNITED STATES, not Nazi Germany, not Soviet Russia, not North Korea, or Cuba for crying out loud. You don't terrorize civilians. If you are into terror I suggest you join Al Qaeda, or CIA operatives that run it.

When you shut down freedom of speech, and institute tyranny, people are going to come after you to kill you. Believe me, this is the most just type of killing that there could ever be.

A SWAT team asking why your flag is upside down isn't terror its a trained police team responding to a signal of an emergency, so if that terror to you then please don't quote me in the same paragraph as a terrorist country.

And no that wouldn't cause people to form militias, it would cause some idiot to put his flag up right.

I think I remember history enough to know what Jefferson said too, since I paid attention in history class, here's a little history for ya, here in the past 10 years or so more and ore Americans have began to fear our government

Does that apply in this case, what she is doing is no different to an SOS message or firing off red flares as it is just another form of signalling distress.

I know that in this place you will get arrested for sending a false distress message and probably charged for using it as a political statement.

Have you ever had to deal with those kind of people? Actually one on one communications? They demand so much of others, yet they will not give the same.
I have dealt with them before, had one as a neighbor. If I describe him I'm then putting this thread on the same subject matter as the stupidity in humans thread.
He demanded and expected everyone respect his rights and privacies. But expect the same of him and his attitude was "So? Are you gonna MAKE me?" Well, the neighbor on the other side of him DID, and he spent a while in a wheel chair.

These "freedom fighters", as they call themselves, they don't care about freedom other than the freedom to smoke pot and bang little kids. The real "freedom fighters" have far more respect for everyones rights, because after all, they ARE fighting so you can retain those rights.

Does that apply in this case, what she is doing is no different to an SOS message or firing off red flares as it is just another form of signalling distress.

I know that in this place you will get arrested for sending a false distress message and probably charged for using it as a political statement.

Covered by 1st amendment rights...gives the right to be jag off, Per SCOTUS.

Weird around these parts they would be charged with making a false distress call and wasting police time.

The only way around it would be for them to notify the local authorities that they were doing it as a protest prior to starting.

Back