Unwittingly, is the West enabling its future Executioners?

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
Extremists winning war of words, too

Thursday, May 31, 2007
Greg Sheridan

SIX years after the 9/11 terror attacks that destroyed the World Trade Centre in New York and killed almost 3000 people, a majority of American Muslims do not believe the attacks were carried out by Arabs. And more than one-quarter of young US Muslims believe suicide bombings can be justified in some circumstances.
These shocking and tragic findings, which come from the Pew Research Centre, tell us much about why the war against Islamist terror is going to last for generations.
The West is losing the information and propaganda war against Islamist extremism. It is not losing because it is being insufficiently kind to Muslims at home or in the Middle East.
As Britain’s Tony Blair wrote in The Sunday Times: “Extremism will be defeated only by recognising that we have not created it ... pandering to its sense of grievance will only encourage it.”
Blair confronted the argument that Muslims hate the West because it has taken military action in Afghanistan and Iraq: “Tell me what exactly they feel angry about? We remove two utterly brutal and dictatorial regimes; we replace them with a UN-supervised democratic process. And the only reason it is difficult still is because other Muslims are using terrorism to try to destroy the fledgling democracy and, in doing so, are killing fellow Muslims. Why aren’t they angry about the people doing the killing?”
The reason we are losing the battle of information and ideas is because the coherent religious and ideological position that al-Qa’ida represents has an extraordinary degree of support within the Muslim world. Even sentiments that don’t finally endorse al-Qa’ida often adopt a similar world outlook that embraces much of al-Qa’ida’s historical narrative and paranoid world view.
Most Muslims are moderates and abhor terrorism. But the minority that is extremist is a big one.
The flipside of al-Qa’ida’s success in the information war is our own dismal effort in this field. This does not mean endlessly telling Muslims how much we love them. Although in principle a bit of that is OK, as Blair implies it can be counterproductive by feeding an unjustified sense of grievance.
A better guide to the roots of our failure comes in a new report from US think tank the Rand Corporation, Building Moderate Muslim Networks. Rand recommends that the US, and by implication allied governments such as Australia’s, should consciously support, materially and morally, and where necessary create, networks of moderate Muslims across the world who reject Islamist extremism.
What is insightful about the report is its comparison of the shambles in the information war today with the effective information and political strategy the US and its allies ran during the Cold War.
To be sure, the Cold War is different from the war on terror. In the Cold War we confronted a central state enemy, the Soviet Union, which had state interests and could be deterred. But the similarities are also instructive: the West faces a confusing geo-strategic environment with new security threats and is involved, among other things, in an ideological conflict.
Moreover, moderate Muslims are being outmuscled. As Rand comments, Saudi funding has greatly enhanced religious extremism all over the world (which raises again the question why nobody, in the Labor Party or the Government, has followed up this newspaper’s revelations of Saudi embassy funding of extremists in Australia).
In many nations, moderate Muslims have been intimidated or even killed.
During the Cold War, the US created or supported democratic institutions to fight against totalitarianism in civil society all over the world, especially in any margins of free space in communist societies.
The US acted as a foundation, evaluating projects, funding them, then adopting a hands-off approach. In the war on terror, the US has a freedom agenda but no coherent idea of how to support it.
It often cannot distinguish moderates from extremists.
The Danish imams who campaigned successfully to turn a few cartoons into a worldwide jihad had previously been wrongly identified as moderates and benefited from state travel grants and the like.
Rand sets out a template for the US to follow in trying to build networks of moderate Muslims to help them stand against the extremists. I’m not sure its suggestions would work, but it recognises the nature of the problem and the fundamental fact we are, whether we like it or not, locked in a profound ideological struggle.
One of the many disturbing features of the US Pew survey on the attitudes of American Muslims is that younger Muslims are substantially more extreme than their parents or grandparents. This reflects the experience in Europe, and probably Australia, that far from the second generation being more integrated, as has happened with every other migrant group, it is becoming more prey to the appeal of extremist ideologies and more alienated from its host society.
It is important to emphasise that the US survey does show that most American Muslims are moderate and reject extremism, and that American Muslims tend to be more moderate than European Muslims or Muslim populations in most majority Muslim nations.
But the US poll is merely the latest from across the world to show that the extremist minority is a very big, and therefore dangerous, one. A poll by the British think tank Policy Exchange showed similar results. Although most British Muslims are moderate, among 16 to 24-year-olds, 37 per cent would prefer to live under sharia law than British law, while 36per cent believe a Muslim changing their religion to something else should be punishable by death and 13per cent support al-Qa’ida.
Similarly, a joint Asia-Europe Foundation and University of Malaya poll found that 98 per cent of Malay Muslims believe Muslims should not be allowed by law to change their religion, 31 per cent want sharia law to replace the Malaysian constitution, 12 per cent support suicide bombings and a clear majority dislike or hate Europe, the US and Australia.
And in Australia, Taj Din al-Hilali, after all his extremist statements, remains the mufti. After everything, the national imams council still has not dismissed him. To equate this with Christian fundamentalism is utterly absurd. The widespread presence of extremist views in large minorities among Muslim communities poses acute dilemmas for a liberal society that no one has yet begun to face up to.

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com...comments/extremists_winning_war_of_words_too/

Interesting although as usual some artistic license has been taken by the writer, here is the whole survey he is quoting.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/483/muslim-americans

One of the negatives about only quoting aspects of other peoples work is that you open yourself up to claims of bias which in turn reduces the credibility of anything accurate in subsequent claims.

Last edited:
i certainly can endorse, have endorsed, such findings here in Britain, where we already have demands for sharia law - and which has been accepted in parts of the country. They look to see us an Islamic state within a short time. Our authorities are no match for them because denial is easier. We have the trojan horse in here, we have been betrayed. I keep entreating people to wake up, but as I say, you get the government you deserve. You will find me always urging the American spirit not to fall it.
the moderates are the eternal victims of ours, of course! But tell me where on earth they live in peace with anyone. I realise that I am talking of the problem and not the solution, but at least I am on the watchtower. They are happy with the long game, but they have unlimited ambitions, and consider us weak and decadent.

Last edited:
The Muslims, like the Jews have a strong streak of the "poor downtrodden me" syndrome which they attempt to enhance every time something is done to a Muslim by a non Muslim, regardless if it is for good or evil.

Interesting although as usual some artistic license has been taken by the writer, here is the whole survey he is quoting.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/483/muslim-americans

One of the negatives about only quoting aspects of other peoples work is that you open yourself up to claims of bias which in turn reduces the credibility of anything accurate in subsequent claims.

I've had a read of the 101 page doc Monty. Can you help me to see where he has misrepresented the empirical data with his interpretation? I may be missing the obvious.

I've had a read of the 101 page doc Monty. Can you help me to see where he has misrepresented the empirical data with his interpretation? I may be missing the obvious.

He not misrepresenting the data he is misrepresenting the whole story as being the findings of the Pew Research Centre when only the first two lines of his editorial (2 lines from a 100+ page report) are based on their findings the rest of it is his own personal views.

Here are the findings of the Pew Research Centre and oddly enough not a lot of them seem to be covered in his editorial. (you will notice I left the good and bad parts in)

Key findings include:
  • Overall, Muslim Americans have a generally positive view of the larger society. Most say their communities are excellent or good places to live.
  • A large majority of Muslim Americans believe that hard work pays off in this society. Fully 71% agree that most people who want to get ahead in the United States can make it if they are willing to work hard.
  • The survey shows that although many Muslims are relative newcomers to the U.S., they are highly assimilated into American society. On balance, they believe that Muslims coming to the U.S. should try and adopt American customs, rather than trying to remain distinct from the larger society. And by nearly two-to-one (63%-32%) Muslim Americans do not see a conflict between being a devout Muslim and living in a modern society.
  • Roughly two-thirds (65%) of adult Muslims in the U.S. were born elsewhere. A relatively large proportion of Muslim immigrants are from Arab countries, but many also come from Pakistan and other South Asian countries. Among native-born Muslims, roughly half are African American (20% of U.S. Muslims overall), many of whom are converts to Islam.
  • Muslim Americans reject Islamic extremism by larger margins than do Muslim minorities in Western European countries. However, there is somewhat more acceptance of Islamic extremism in some segments of the U.S. Muslim public than others. Fewer native-born African American Muslims than others completely condemn al Qaeda. In addition, younger Muslims in the U.S. are much more likely than older Muslim Americans to say that suicide bombing in the defense of Islam can be at least sometimes justified. Nonetheless, absolute levels of support for Islamic extremism among Muslim Americans are quite low, especially when compared with Muslims around the world.
  • A majority of Muslim Americans (53%) say it has become more difficult to be a Muslim in the United States since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Most also believe that the government "singles out" Muslims for increased surveillance and monitoring.
  • Relatively few Muslim Americans believe the U.S.-led war on terror is a sincere effort to reduce terrorism, and many doubt that Arabs were responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Just 40% of Muslim Americans say groups of Arabs carried out those attacks.

So, um, yeah, can you delineate where exactly in the paper he wrote, as in quote the sections from his paper, wherein he "misrepresented"? Not yanking your chain, I seriously would like to understand your claim.

Well for those amongst us that have trouble reading:

SIX years after the 9/11 terror attacks that destroyed the World Trade Centre in New York and killed almost 3000 people, a majority of American Muslims do not believe the attacks were carried out by Arabs. And more than one-quarter of young US Muslims believe suicide bombings can be justified in some circumstances.
These shocking and tragic findings, which come from the Pew Research Centre, tell us much about why the war against Islamist terror is going to last for generations.
You will notice his claims (the bit in red because everyone know red is important)

Now the actual findings of the Pew Reseach Centre:

Key findings include:
  • Overall, Muslim Americans have a generally positive view of the larger society. Most say their communities are excellent or good places to live.
  • A large majority of Muslim Americans believe that hard work pays off in this society. Fully 71% agree that most people who want to get ahead in the United States can make it if they are willing to work hard.
  • The survey shows that although many Muslims are relative newcomers to the U.S., they are highly assimilated into American society. On balance, they believe that Muslims coming to the U.S. should try and adopt American customs, rather than trying to remain distinct from the larger society. And by nearly two-to-one (63%-32%) Muslim Americans do not see a conflict between being a devout Muslim and living in a modern society.
  • Roughly two-thirds (65%) of adult Muslims in the U.S. were born elsewhere. A relatively large proportion of Muslim immigrants are from Arab countries, but many also come from Pakistan and other South Asian countries. Among native-born Muslims, roughly half are African American (20% of U.S. Muslims overall), many of whom are converts to Islam.
  • Muslim Americans reject Islamic extremism by larger margins than do Muslim minorities in Western European countries. However, there is somewhat more acceptance of Islamic extremism in some segments of the U.S. Muslim public than others. Fewer native-born African American Muslims than others completely condemn al Qaeda. In addition, younger Muslims in the U.S. are much more likely than older Muslim Americans to say that suicide bombing in the defense of Islam can be at least sometimes justified. Nonetheless, absolute levels of support for Islamic extremism among Muslim Americans are quite low, especially when compared with Muslims around the world.
  • A majority of Muslim Americans (53%) say it has become more difficult to be a Muslim in the United States since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Most also believe that the government "singles out" Muslims for increased surveillance and monitoring.
  • Relatively few Muslim Americans believe the U.S.-led war on terror is a sincere effort to reduce terrorism, and many doubt that Arabs were responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Just 40% of Muslim Americans say groups of Arabs carried out those attacks.
You will notices how the Pew Centre's finding appear to be more in depth (gosh) and paint a somewhat less bleak picture than you average Aussie redneck with a word processor, now I am not claiming that the one point he chose to use from the 100 pages of the report is misrepresented I am simply claiming he chose the only bit of data that suited his argument hence bias.

So just for you BD since I know how much comprehension means to you, its just another piece of biased media trash and the only reason you and your merry band like it is that it says what you want to hear.

Now how about showing me where I said he misinterpreted empirical data because from my magical ability to scroll up what I see is a comment about only using some aspects of peoples work leading to accusations of bias which I am accusing him of and oddly enough given the intense level of whining about the quality of media reporting on these boards and in particular from yourself I am a little surprised you are not supporting me on this or is it a case of it only being bad media if you don't agree with it?

Last edited:
Show me where I said you said "empirical" and I'll change my name to MontyB Jr.
:)

I note the change of subject as an acceptance as of my point and as I would never want to mistaken for you or vice versa I will concede your point on "empirical" as that was in fact our local "man of the cloth" not yourself.

Last edited:
The Muslims, like the Jews have a strong streak of the "poor downtrodden me" syndrome which they attempt to enhance every time something is done to a Muslim by a non Muslim, regardless if it is for good or evil.
I have never found this to be so in my experience of Jews, who have assimilated brilliantly in Britain, and have enthusiastically embraced all things British. With the exception of a small Hassedic group, it would not be possible to seperate Jew from Christian here. Hindus have also made themselves very acceptable in all respects and are highly successful. Our Jews are proudly patriotic towards Britain, their home country. They come across as fiercely independent. I have never seen a Jew cry or take a dive here, and they are able to live side by side anywhere in the world with anyone, I understand.

Other than that, I take your point, and would add that, politically, as far as their approach to the world is concerned, this is a very well developed strategy. They are tremendous at the mind games.

To group Jews and Moslems together as you describe would not, in my opinion, be correct. And i have to say that every American Jew I ever met wore the Stars and Stripes on their heart.

Just making the point that the two groups are at different ends ofthe spectrum in this respect, in my experience.

Last edited:
I note the change of subject as an acceptance as of my point and as I would never want to mistaken for you or vice versa I will concede your point on "empirical" as that was in fact our local "man of the cloth" not yourself.

Because your initial criticism lacked specifics or examples, I was genuinely curious as to what you found in the data that contradicted his bias or ultimate conclusion. I worded my question fairly politely.

The answer that came back was good in that it was an answer, but sadly, it doesn't invalidate the commentator's concerns. Your "magical ability to scroll" and to "read" deserted you on this occasion in your retort to the wrong person. I'll put this wobbly down to you still recovering perhaps from that nasty bruising Gator delivered to you on immigration.

As you are also quite plainly a member of the "For those amongst us who have trouble reading" Club, welcome among us who are human and falible and biased. For all our faults, we know the rising of a dangerous enemy from within and do not want Western society to make the same mistakes as....say the Germans of the 1920's - wow arn't those poor Nazi's misunderstood and their complaints are fairly reasonable and boy are they growing in number. The Polish and Austrians and Spanish and Maltese did not repel Islam centuries ago from their borders because of bias or that the Mohammedans had bad breath - there was a reason why Christian or free thinking Europeans preferred Christianity, warts and all, to domination by Islamic law. You Monty are enjoying the fruits of their victories won long ago.

I am passing on the spat between Padre and Monty B, but I must applaud Padre's brief history lesson. It has been that way for hundreds of years. Repeating myself, our enemies are dedicated to, and are expert at, the long game. The danger is to underestimate that. That is why, over the centuries the answer has been to squash them as they raised their militant heads. The British regiments constantly served 10 year long stints of pinning down. Leave England at 16 years old, return at 26, like my father in law and my step-father on the North West Frontier. The British understood so well and were so blase that they were quite happy to wake up ar reveille READY SHAVED by the locals! Want to try that guys?

Because your initial criticism lacked specifics or examples, I was genuinely curious as to what you found in the data that contradicted his bias or ultimate conclusion. I worded my question fairly politely.

The answer that came back was good in that it was an answer, but sadly, it doesn't invalidate the commentator's concerns. Your "magical ability to scroll" and to "read" deserted you on this occasion in your retort to the wrong person. I'll put this wobbly down to you still recovering perhaps from that nasty bruising Gator delivered to you on immigration.

Heres a small problem for you though. I don't think Gator gave me a bruising for one simple reason. For the most part I agree with his views on immigration I am just not quite as extreme in expressing those views. I think a lot of what you saw there was me thinking he was joking about the mine field idea hence the recommendation of a moat and alligators so in the end while Gator and myself may disagree on the method of cure we don't disagree on the need for a cure.

As far as your original material goes I don't agree since he chose to use references ie the Pew Research Centre to validate his work then his "concerns" are measurable against their findings and I am sorry his views don't necessarily stack up with theirs therefore his "concerns" invalidate themselves.

However all this aside you are once again making an argument based on your interpretation of what I said, in fact (if you go back and read what I posted) the terms I used were:
- "Interesting although as usual some artistic license has been taken by the writer" Which is another way of saying he has twisted the information not necessarily misrepresented but as we all know a simple change in context can change the entire message meaning.

And:-

- One of the negatives about only quoting aspects of other peoples work is that you open yourself up to claims of bias which in turn reduces the credibility of anything accurate in subsequent claims. Which means if you are not prepared to use both pro and con information in your argument when it is clearly available and relevant then your argument is biased.

Now based on your reply to my original post I would ask you where I mentioned anything about him misrepresenting empirical data?

What I do claim is that through his failure to put forward an impartial view of his references findings he has produced what amounts to little more than another biased media report which given this boards vitriol toward the media as being biased should be receiving the same treatment as any other biased bit of reporting.

The Polish and Austrians and Spanish and Maltese did not repel Islam centuries ago from their borders because of bias or that the Mohammedans had bad breath - there was a reason why Christian or free thinking Europeans preferred Christianity, warts and all, to domination by Islamic law. You Monty are enjoying the fruits of their victories won long ago.

Interestingly enough I don't here a lot of people complaining they missed the dark ages or inquisition either don't you find it odd that your average Pole, Austrian, Spaniard and Maltese isn't complaining that they haven't been burnt at the stake or tortured recently by their local clergy?
Perhaps people are just ungrateful?

I would suggest that the "fruits of victory" I am enjoying come not only from the defeat of Islamic law in Europe but also the European rejection of being ruled by any religion including Christianity.

Last edited:
Monty,

May I recommend two books for you to digest that are not recommended for the purpose of conversion or propaganda, but that you might have a more informed understanding of the contribution of Christian principles and activity to western civilization, the legacy of which you do enjoy benefits.

1. "The Rise of Christianity" by Rodney Stark

2. "Those Terrible Middle Ages" by Regine Pernoud

Monty,

May I recommend two books for you to digest that are not recommended for the purpose of conversion or propaganda, but that you might have a more informed understanding of the contribution of Christian principles and activity to western civilization, the legacy of which you do enjoy benefits.

1. "The Rise of Christianity" by Rodney Stark

2. "Those Terrible Middle Ages" by Regine Pernoud

Actually I have read The Rise of Christianity and I suspect we came to somewhat different conclusions on its message.
To be perfectly honest I am not sure it is applicable to your argument or the argument in general. I have to admit I have seen Those Terrible Middle Ages but it sounds more like a Monty Python title (which isn't a bad thing).

Well, put "The God Delusion" down next to "The Da Vinci Code" for a second, and go have a read of Pernoud's book. Not as funny as the "Life of Brian" or "Black Adder," but still....

Back