An unusual Hurricane

Indeed it is the first time I have seen that model, it seems like rather an odd solution though.

The production Hurricane which we all know and love, was basically built like a bi-plane from a previous era with the top wing removed. Even though she was slower then the Spitfire or the BF109, she turned out to be a very good and very tough gun platform.

I would assume that the version with the top wing fitted would result in shorter take off distances.

The production Hurricane which we all know and love, was basically built like a bi-plane from a previous era with the top wing removed. Even though she was slower then the Spitfire or the BF109, she turned out to be a very good and very tough gun platform.

I would assume that the version with the top wing fitted would result in shorter take off distances.

If I recall the Spitfire was know for being a maneuverable and graceful fighter, but not a "tough" one. Like say the Hurricane or P_47

Oddly enough that is the bit that confuses me as the old saying goes, what goes up, must come down.

Now if you add a top wing and reduce the take off distance then jetison the wing in flight surely you will still need a reduced distance to land?

So theoretically you have solved an issue with aircraft needing a shorter take off but if you cant get the damn thing down in one piece what is the point.

ANd as pilots so often say "it's the landing that kills ya every time".

If I recall the Spitfire was know for being a maneuverable and graceful fighter, but not a "tough" one. Like say the Hurricane or P_47

Both the Hurricane and the P47 could take a great deal more punishment then the Spitfire, but despite her failings, she was an iconic aeroplane. Despite the fact that the Hurricane shooting down more enemy aircraft then the Spitfire, the Spitfire was the aircraft (according to many) that won the Battle of Britain. Every German aircrew shot down and captured said they were shot down by a Spitfire, Hurricane pilots called it "Spitfire snobbery." Many pilots regarded the Spitfire Mk9 (or Mk16 fitted with the Packard Merlin) as the finest Spitfire ever built.

Oddly enough that is the bit that confuses me as the old saying goes, what goes up, must come down.

Now if you add a top wing and reduce the take off distance then jetison the wing in flight surely you will still need a reduced distance to land?

So theoretically you have solved an issue with aircraft needing a shorter take off but if you cant get the damn thing down in one piece what is the point.

ANd as pilots so often say "it's the landing that kills ya every time".

I would assume part of the reasoning behind the top wing was to get in the air and gain as much height as soon as possible. Enemy aircraft picked up on radar could cross the channel in a matter of minutes, so the quicker fighters could gain height the better. After expending fuel and or ammunition it didn't matter if the landing distance was greater with the top wing jettisoned, as most/all airfields whether grass or tarmac were plenty long enough.

Back