Unternehmen Seelöwe...

The Germans never had any chance to win (unless in the movie with the same name),and,if they won,nothing would change .

But here is the kicker in all this the Sandhurst experiment says that significant numbers of German troops would have got ashore and operated for at least 6-8 weeks before supply became the issue that caused collapse.

So they clearly believed that German had the ability to get troops ashore in significant numbers.

But here is the kicker in all this the Sandhurst experiment says that significant numbers of German troops would have got ashore and operated for at least 6-8 weeks before supply became the issue that caused collapse.

So they clearly believed that German had the ability to get troops ashore in significant numbers.
I think that you are referring to the 1974 Kriegsspiel at the Staff College ,Camberley,of which the results were:
1)The Germans would get some troops ashore
2)Their advance would be delayed by a combination of RAF attacks,stubborn defensive actions and local counterattacks by groundforces
3)Eventually,the RN destroys the German second echelon
I disagree with the first point :IMHO,the Germans only could get a few thousand men ashore on the first day,without ammunition,heavy weapons ,and,this would be all.Nothing on the following days .These few thousands would capitulate after less than a week,the intervention of the RN would not be needed .
Source:The Royal Navy did not win the Battle of Britain .

But the the Sandhurst experiment starts with the landing of the troops in England.(the beaches between Folkestone and Rottingdean). It wil take the barges approx 9 to 20 hours to reach the beaches. Plus a couple of hours to load. I think the British would be 100% ready to "receive" the Germans.

Operation Sealion - summary of an exercise held at the Staff College, Sandhurst in 1974.

http://mr-home.staff.shef.ac.uk/hobbies/seelowe.txt

I doubt that the barges would have the possibility to reach the beaches,because the east-west current in the Channell was stronger than the speed of the barges .

It is an interesting point and to be honest I had not really looked at the barges in any great depth as it was general knowledge that they were unsuitable for the task.

It is an interesting point and to be honest I had not really looked at the barges in any great depth as it was general knowledge that they were unsuitable for the task.

Plus Bomber Command attacked and sunk a number of them in German occupied ports.

Back