Unlikely Victories.

Welshwarrior said:
I asked a question of you, obviously to difficult.

Repeat the question and I will attempt a reply.

The US proved that there could not possibly be a NVN victory after the TET offensive. Country/Force Killed Wounded Missing
US, Korea, Australia 1,536 - 7,764 - 11

South Viet Nam 2,788 - 8,299 - 587

North Viet Nam and Viet Cong 45,000 - not known - not known

Civilian 14,000 - 24,000
630,000 - homeless

chewie_nz said:
Whispering Death said:
Welshwarrior said:
But they still won. The means justifies the end?

No, you misunderstand what I'm saying. Technology is only one factor in warfare. Mass is another factor and is, in fact, one of the origional principles of warfare as enumerated by Clauswitz.

So in Vietnam, mass overpowered technology but is that really an unlikely victory? Or is it really just simply the MASS overpowering the numerical multipliers that technology gives, which is what happened.

the north vietnamese didn't defeat the US forces, the US media & public opinion did.

I agree here!
The only reason the US withdrew from Vietnam was because of public pressure back home and the Media. The only reason we had severely restricted targets was because of dummies in govt. and the media. If the US forces had unrestricted target lists, and the full force of the Marices, Navy, Airforce and Army were released in Vietnam, N Vietnam would have been crushed in weeks, but because our "elected" officials didn't want a bad mark on their record, they decided to pull out. I think that's why people hate Bush so much - because he doesn't give a damn about his "record", he gets the job done and stays the course....something our administration didn't do during Vietnam. We weren't really commited to that war as a nation - with the manpower and technology we had, we could have done more.
Every single US soldier that died in Vietnam should receive a personal apology from the idiots that supported the enemy - does the name Jane Fonda ring a bell?

I do agree with all of that chewie, I am not sure if I am quoting this correctly but someone did say, "war is too serious to be run by the military" Maybe that should be amended to something along the lines of, "war is too serious to be run by civilians"

I think I should get a good response for that post :)

Welshwarrior said:
I do agree with all of that chewie, I am not sure if I am quoting this correctly but someone did say, "war is too serious to be run by the military" Maybe that should be amended to something along the lines of, "war is too serious to be run by civilians"

I think I should get a good response for that post :)

hehehe I agree - it shouldn't be run by Civvies!

TBA_PAKI said:
Dozens of (1 Million Dollar) MBT's gets blown up by a cheap road-side bombs or RPG strikes in IRAQ. Yes! I am talking about M1A2's and even they offen get damaged by road side bombs or RPG strikes.

Very few pictures are available!

Few Links:

-> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1010333/posts
-> http://www.afvnews.ca/cgi-bin/web-bbs/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/62119

Thus victory for Iraqi insurgents in such sabotage or ambush cases!

Might wanna peruse your own links.

Big difference in "blowing up" an MBT as opposed to disabling it.

03USMC said:
TBA_PAKI said:
Dozens of (1 Million Dollar) MBT's gets blown up by a cheap road-side bombs or RPG strikes in IRAQ. Yes! I am talking about M1A2's and even they offen get damaged by road side bombs or RPG strikes.

Very few pictures are available!

Few Links:

-> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1010333/posts
-> http://www.afvnews.ca/cgi-bin/web-bbs/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/62119

Thus victory for Iraqi insurgents in such sabotage or ambush cases!

Might wanna peruse your own links.

Big difference in "blowing up" an MBT as opposed to disabling it.

By blown-up, I meant burning of the Turret which results in casualties of crew inside. By the way let me term it as "Serious Damage".

Back