An Unknown Soldier

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
An Unknown Soldier
By Terry Paulson

One day, while changing flights in Chicago, I called my wife to let her know that I would be home shortly.

As we were talking, I overheard a young soldier on the phone next to me leaving a message, “Mom, I don’t know. They just told me that they won’t change the ticket without more money . . . and I don’t have it.” He paused for a moment before continuing, “Okay, I’ll try to stay here by the phone. Please call back soon. The number is . . .”

The soldier hung up, and with a worried look on his face, he stood next to the phone bank, nervously waiting for the phone to ring.

I said good-bye to my wife and then turned to the anxious young man. “How much do you need, soldier?” I asked.

“Sir, I’m twenty dollars short of getting home.”

I reached into my pocket and took out my wallet. “For giving to our country, I am honored to give you this twenty dollars.”

A big smile of relief came over him as he took the money and said, “Thank you, sir.”

“Now, go home,” I smiled back.

And with that, he shook my hand, grabbed his duffel bag and dashed off to the gate and on to his waiting family.

You can’t get much more than that for any amount of money.

Reprinted by permission of Terry L. Paulson (c) 1998 from Chicken Soup for the Traveler's Soul by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Steve Zikman.

That's the kind of thing that doesn't walk up the street every day. Why can't we hear this kind of stuff these days? I mean, back when I was a toddler, a soldier could at least get a free cup of damned coffee. We don't appreciate these men nearly enough for what they do.

Im with ya deerslayer. This stuff should be happening more often. People just dont appreciate the military as much now. But it does make me feel really good when I read about something like this. there are good people out there.

Same here. Soldiers don't get enough respect- bottom line. People today wouldn't accept the military as necessary in times of crisis unless that crisis took fifty people hostage and cut their e-mail out for a week.

When I hear someone in the media running down the soldiers, not the war, it infuriates me. I can understand pacifism and resistance to war, but Jesus H., leave the fighting men themselves out of it. They're keeping you free, and NOBODY has any right to malign a good soldier.

Back