Unknown Motto.

CtahhR

I have a military badge on a U.S. uniform I've acquired with the motto "Weather Or Not" The badge is "silver" with orange enamelling depicting a horizontal lightning bolt at the top with telegraph poles in the centre and a rising sun at the bottom under which is the motto. It is placed on a green belt around the left epaulette on the uniform of a logistical staff seargant in the 7th Army european theatre of operations advanced base with 24 years service. The uniform itself being tailored on the 10th May 1957. This soldier is a vetran of the european theatre of the second world war and army of occupation and is also wearing 3 mertitorious unit citations. Is there any chance anyone out there has any idea as to which unit this man was posted to?

Hi and welcome to the forums. :smil:

Could you post an image of the badge here as well?
That could make it a bit easier to identify the unit.

Unknown Motto Pics

Here's the best I can do with the equipment I have on hand....
Firstly the badge itself and then the uniform on which it's displayed....

Hope it helps someone because I'm stuck....

Attachments

• CAPT001.JPG
    CAPT001.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CAPT000.JPG
    CAPT000.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 10
That's the U.S. Army's 26th Signal Battalion's (93rd Signal Brigade) unit insignia.
COAT OF ARMS
SHIELD: Tenne, on a fess between in chief a bolt of lightning fesswise and a demi-sun issu-ing from base argent, three telegraph poles wired by two wires throughout of the first.

CREST: On a wreath of the colors (argent and tenne) in front of a chevron, the point termi-nating in a fleur-de-lis gules two torches crossed in saltire of the first, each emitting five tongues of flame or.

MOTTO: Weather or not.
Orange and white are the colors used for the Signal Corps. The three telephone poles refer to the unit's mission of (1) installing, (2) operating and (3) maintaining area signal centers as part of the Army area signal system. The lightning bolt alludes to all electric and electronic equipment used in the accomplishment of mission. The demi-sun, a symbol of and source of energy and power, refers to both sunrise (day) and sunset (night) and indicates round-the-clock service given by the unit regardless of weather and conditions. The ten tongues of flame in the crest represent the total of the combined campaigns credited the organization for service in France during World War II, as represented by the fleur-de-lis and in Korea represented by the chevron, an allusion to the mountainous terrain of that area. The color red of the fleur-de-lis and chevron further alludes to the Meritorious Unit Commendations received during these campaigns.

DISTINCTIVE INSIGNIA
The insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms.

http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageHistory/1,13506,104485|100051,00.html

Also:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
26thSig%20Bn%20crest.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1961 - 19..[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Source: 93rd Sig Bde PAO, early 1980s.)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 26th Signal Bn DUI[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On August 15 1961, the 26th Signal Bn moved from the States to Germany where it became part of the 505th Signal Group. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In January 1965, the Battalion was reduced to zero strength but was later reconstituted on September 19 1965 from elements of other units in the 7th Signal Group.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On April 16 1980, the battalion was reassigned to the 93rd Signal Brigade of VII Corps.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The mission of the 26th Signal Battalion is the installation of three Corps Area Signal Centers. These centers provide telephone and record communications which link Corps Headquarters to the Division Field Artillery Brigades, higher headquarters and lateral Corps Headquarters. [/FONT]
http://www.usarmygermany.com/Units/Signal/USAREUR_26thSigBn.htm

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back