Unknown DUIs: Requesting some assistance.

Gentlemen,
In my collection of U.S. Army Distinctive Unit Insignias are three I have never been able to identify. Perhaps someone out there can help me.

1) A silver colored piece with a round bottomed shield. Accross the shield is a vertical black bar. Over that is a rampant lion or griffin clutching a yellow fleur-de-lis in its right forepaw. The motto on a scroll accross the bottom reads, "Gallantly Forward".

2) A mostly buff colored insignia with three black discs arranged horizontally down the center. On either side is what looks like raindrops. A wavy line goes down through the buff color and raindrops on each side of the discs. The motto, on a scroll accross the bottom reads, "First and Finest".

3) A mostly gold colored piece that has an eight point sunburst with the head of a longhorn steer superimposed. The horns are white, with a white five point star between them. On a green scroll accross the top is the motto, "Star Dragoons".

I have my suspitions about two of these, but I have never been able to confirm anything. Any assistance anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated. I have the great honour to remain,
Your Most Humble Obedient Servant,
Kevin. J. Mansfield,
Adkins, Texas.

3) A mostly gold colored piece that has an eight point sunburst with the head of a longhorn steer superimposed. The horns are white, with a white five point star between them. On a green scroll accross the top is the motto, "Star Dragoons".

Longhorn might be Texas
Sunburst might be Ft Bliss
Star Dragoons might White Sands missile range in New Mexico which was part of Ft Bliss once

Star Dragoons, Gallantlt Forward

"Star Dragoons" was issued to the Texas Army National Guard. I recall seeing the original U.S. Army Institue of Heraldry certificate in one of the library display cases of what is now the 71st Brigade in Dallas, TX. Try calling or writing the HQ at 1775 Calif Crossing Rd, Dallas, TX 75220-7098 (972) 556-0350. Perhaps some obliging soul will copy the certificate for you or at least tell you how it reads.

The 56th Brigade Combat Team displays the DUI on their website at http://www.agd.state.tx.us/36id/56BCT/ I don't know if they are the current bearers of the Star Dragoons lineage.
--------------
"Gallantly Forward" is the motto of the 71st Cavalry Regiment

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Cav/71CavalryRegiment.htm

3) star dragoons

This is the crest, now obsolete, of the 49th Armored Division--Texas National Guard. The DUI was issued to division staff and HQ units. Line units used DUI from their respective lineage i.e. 112 Cavalry(Armor). I associated withthese units in the mid 70s. :cheers:

Back