Unknown Backpack-Need Info

dittamedia

I have a backpack I hope someone can tell me about.
Its marked on the inside of the top flap'Powers & Co. 1941', and US on the outside.
The top flap also has a snap inside and is made to hold a mess kit. The pack is khaki with a solidframe of light metal, app. 1/2 ''round. The straps are padded. It has the bayonet mounton the side, and its for a long '03 type bayo.
It is a top loading pack with a heavy drawstring. The clasps are marked 'Anchor' and 'Pat June 25, 1912'. It has two side pockets, and two front pockets on the body. the lower front has a zipper that is marked 'Anchor". Has a small lift the dot fastened strap in the middle of the waist belt (the small of the back), with a strap to go around the waist.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Hi Dittamedia, welcome to the forum. :D

I moved you post abit, hope you don't mind...

Do you have a photo of the backpack??

I have sent the photos to your contact url.
Let me know if they need to be re-sized, re-named, whatever.
Thanks very much.

Here's some of the pics.

pack3.jpg

pack4.jpg

Perhaps someone out there has the books that cover all this stuff. I'd like a model number, and it's purpose; mountain, heavy load, etc. I've never seen one in old photos, and don't know anyone yet who has either. Could it be an experimental model?

MOuntain/Alpine troops rucksack

U.S. Army developed and adopted its first rucksack during the summer of 1941. The canvas duck sack was mounted on a steel wire or rattan frame that supported the load and held it off the soldier's back. Three pockets on the outside of the bag carried extra gear. Heavy felt pads on both the back support and the shoulder straps eased the burden. Brass snap hooks closed the two side pockets and the cover flap. The 1941 pattern rucksacks were made during late 1941 and into early 1942. Most rucksacks are stamped “1941,” although some made by Powers Company can be found stamped "1942."
Being based on a typical commercial rucksack, this first army rucksack was poorly suited for military use. The National Ski Association's Winter Equipment Committee reviewed the rucksack at the War Department's request and suggested twelve improvements that the QMC then incorporated into the next generation rucksack. With the adoption of the Specification J.Q.D. 88 rucksack, the Army withdrew the 1941 pattern from service. Because the two patterns never overlapped within the supply system, they were never known as the M-1941 or M-1942 version. Its official name was always just "Rucksack."

Hope this helps...
Michael Marietta GA

Heres a couple shots of mine...

Mine is a Revision 88B Mountain troops rucksack stamped and dated HINSON MFG CO 1943....
1433_348.ts1096590906000.jpg

1432_348.ts1096590934000.jpg

Michael Marietta GA

Back