United States Marines branded?

In the movie Jarhead, senior Marines brand Junior ones with a hot iron shaped like 'USMC' on the leg as a sign of acceptance to the Corps.

Is this a real tradition among American Marines or is it made up, or was it real in the specific unit Swoff served? I haven't read the book, but it's safe to say the movie is a dramatization of events described in the authobiographical book.

If it is true it is within that particular unit. I am a Corporal in the USMC and I have never been nor will ever allow myself to be branded.

This is called hazing and it has severe penalties under the UCMJ.

Worse case the people that made the movie took artistic license.

Dramatization is a very accurate word when civilians deal with many aspects of military life and have never served themselves.

How do you know the book was full of lies? (I have never read it, but I'm sure that even if the book was accurate, the movie was lies).

Either way, the move is worth watching. I've noticed at least one equipment inarccuracy: You briefly see guys stickin their heads out an M1A1, wearing PASGT helmets rather than Tank-guy helmets. :D

I haven't seen the movie (heard it was sort of boring) but it is on the list. As I understand it, this movie takes place back during the Desert Storm days. Even then, I can't believe that this was in any way required.

Around that time, I was working up in 'Stands Alone' country in Korea and there was a group of Marines (can't remember the unit) who were there from Okinawa (my birthplace, BTW) and quite a few of the Marines had 'USMC' brands. I was told that it was entirely optional and just a different version than the nearly ubiquitous devil dog tats. Just something that many of them got together and decided to do.

Heck, I knew several fraternities in undergrad. where brands were accepted and several guys who have them today.

msgtmedleyusmc said:
I haven't seen the movie (heard it was sort of boring) but it is on the list. As I understand it, this movie takes place back during the Desert Storm days. Even then, I can't believe that this was in any way required.

Around that time, I was working up in 'Stands Alone' country in Korea and there was a group of Marines (can't remember the unit) who were there from Okinawa (my birthplace, BTW) and quite a few of the Marines had 'USMC' brands. I was told that it was entirely optional and just a different version than the nearly ubiquitous devil dog tats. Just something that many of them got together and decided to do.

Heck, I knew several fraternities in undergrad. where brands were accepted and several guys who have them today.

Thanks for partially confirming this. The movie made it appear as though you were forced into being branded, because several fellow jarheads would immobilize you, while another one applied the brand.

I remember there being a big uproar when a vid of some U.S soldiers , I think they were airborne, were shown having there wings with the pins pushed into there chests. Think that was about 10 years ago. Anyone remember anything like that?

I remember there being a big uproar when a vid of some U.S soldiers , I think they were airborne, were shown having there wings with the pins pushed into there chests. Think that was about 10 years ago. Anyone remember anything like that?

The practice was called "Blood Wing's" or "Blood Winging". When my Marine buddy got his Gold Wings back in the 80's, they were not simply pushed into his chest with the clutches removed, but were punched on by every one else who wore the wings in his unit.
As far as the branding goes, I can't imagine that a Jr Officer, or a Senior NCO would let a practice like that fly.

Forrest_Gump said:
The practice was called "Blood Wing's" or "Blood Winging". When my Marine buddy got his Gold Wings back in the 80's, they were not simply pushed into his chest with the clutches removed, but were punched on by every one else who wore the wings in his unit.
As far as the branding goes, I can't imagine that a Jr Officer, or a Senior NCO would let a practice like that fly.

The process of applying the "blood wings" falls under hazing as is no longer allowed as per DoD policy. Nope, we don't do that anymore..surely not..never ever never. :mrgreen:

Back to the topic, I read the book and it was mostly old wives tales, general military ones and USMC specific ones spun into experiences. The USMC S/S community doesn't recognize this guy Swafford and really, he sounded like a shitty Marine. I think he had a lot of mental problems and it doesn't surprise me that Hollywood decided to make a movie off of that book as opposed to the hundreds of other military books that have real accounts in them.

The branding thing, I've never heard of. I know of guys that went out and did it, sort of like guys that decide to go out and get a tattoo. But never seen or heard of it as some type of requirement, it's mostly just something a bunch of guys decide to do, if the want.

In the movie, Swofford DOES say that he's losing his mind :D. He also said he began to think joining the Marine Corps was a bad idea and resigned after Desert Storm. So, he probably was a shitty Marine.

I read the book, and Swofford said it was an optional thing. However, I'm not sure it's entirely accurate, much like the rest of the book.

Low recoil? Barrett?
MOPP- football game? Yeah right! That's a good way to kill yourself.

I did 6.5 years active duty and never heard of branding either. I was an AAV crewman so I had a lot of interaction with the grunts, then on Embassy duty I interacted with Marines from the Airwing's and FSSG's

wow i have never heard of this kind of stuff i have heard of tattoos but they were optional i personnely think that the hole braning thing is stupid i would rather gat a tattoo cause they would look nicer the if you got branded and probly hurt less to lol but ya thats just my two sense

Back