United States Marine Corps

Matt, it's pot luck. No matter how bright you are or how much you excell -a lot of it still comes down to luck. If you're willing to risk it, and take the chance in having to serve in the Navy, go for it. If the Marine Corps is what you want and nothing else, I would recommend another route.

rgr, Marines are what I really want. I guess I have a while though to figure out how I want to approach joining the military :)

Ya well about the whole military going to school then the Marine Corps, ummm... I was thinkin about ( and tell me if im making a mistake or overlooking something.) but i wanted to go into the Marines RIGHT AFTER high school, and then i wanted to go to school from there, the enlisted ranks. I kinda wanted to go in and at least KNOW the men before im in command of their lives or whatever ill do. I just wanted to earn their respect and all that. But again i dont know how it will work out. Any people in here that have done that :?: Personally, i HATE money, but as the guy in Its a Wonderful Life says, " It comes in pretty handy down here bub." I just want to join the Marine Corps because i think its right for me and i want to be part of something, really big. And to me thats the Corps. It might sound fairy tale ish. And you're right. :? And im making very awkward transitions...sorry.....Any body with any experience with a situation kinda like this, can you offer any advice :?:

Thanks! SemperFi!
-SemperFi!

I dont know how everyone else will answer this but, I had more respect for the Mustangs than I did other Officers, just for the fact that they had been there already.

782.matt said:
Would it be the right move if one was to go to Annapolis and hope to be commisioned as a Marine Officer?
A freind and I were told by a retired Marine thats its best to go to Boot Camp because if you can make it their you can make it anywhere. (well not those exact words but close) But if you want to go into the Corps as a 2nd LT. go for it. Just remember "Respect is earned not given."

Yeah I have alot more respect for prior enlisted officers, as a matter of fact that is what I am gonna do. I am on Marine Security Guard duty right now, I will reenlist and go MECEP from there. About the whole job garentee thing what did you want to do that you think you will not get maybe I can tell you whether you will get it or not. You are however guaranteed a job feild. Combat arms is the way to go as far as I am concerned, that is the beating heart of the Corps though almost everyone is gettin some right now. I suggest you go enlisted pic an MOS that you like though supply and Motor-T really sucks and take some classes then when it comes time for you to reenlist go officer if you want. There are many carear opertunities in the Corps who knows you might want to be a CWO or a SgtMaj some day instead. At any rate it will make you a better person if nothing else. If nothing else you know you are doing something honorable and respectable and once you are a Marine no one can take that away from you.

Semper Fidelis

Mustangs

Sooners1 said:
I dont know how everyone else will answer this but, I had more respect for the Mustangs than I did other Officers, just for the fact that they had been there already.

My best CO's were either Mustangs or Gunners, the fact that they had served in my boots gave them much more respect in the platoon/detachment.

This thread has helped me a lot. Ummm, here's a question.. I think it was answered earlier, but I'm sure somebody won't mind answering it again. Would it be better to go to ROTC during college, then enlist in the Marines.. or join the Marine Reserves while attending college, then after college enlist in the Active Marines for a while?

MosquitoMan73 said:
This thread has helped me a lot. Ummm, here's a question.. I think it was answered earlier, but I'm sure somebody won't mind answering it again. Would it be better to go to ROTC during college, then enlist in the Marines.. or join the Marine Reserves while attending college, then after college enlist in the Active Marines for a while?

Well here's the deal it is what ever works for you. You can do either very effectivly I know people who have done either who are very good friends of mine infact I have a friend who was a reservist/enlisted who is going to the next OCS class that lucky b*stard, but anyway depending on your MOS and unit in the reserves you may get called to get activated like what happpen to my friend here, he would have went a year ago but OIF happened. The quicker safer route to officer is ROTC, there is where your advantage is. If you are already in college and have some done go for ROTC and make sure you follow through. Instead of going through all that extra crap cause you are not really gonna get the respect as a prior enlisted officer unless you've done atleast a full enlistment first, they're just gonna say you were a tampon that got to go to OCS. If you are young though go for a full tour as enlisted first then put in a package for OCS/MECEP but hey that's just what I'm doing, If you want to be an officer right away then go ROTC. Does that answer your question?

Anyone heard of PLC--Platoon Leaders Course

All right--I'm going to Boot Camp (USMC) within the next couple months. If I switch to Reserves, it'll be next month;enlisted, not until 7 September. Members of PLC train during the summers throughout college. I know technically I'll be a Mustang, but will the enlited ranks respect me a lot less since I did the PLC way? Also, I'm 19 and have a year of college behind me. I don't have a lot of time to spend if I want to get a 4-5 year degree and get a commission. All comments appreciated!

Well there soon to be DevilDog, that is a decision you have to make. No one active duty really respects a tampon. If you are able to pay for college without the Marine Corps help then finish college first and then see about going to OCS, if you can't then enlist and let the Marine Corps pay for it. A couple tips though, 1. make use since you have college credits already that you get contract PFC on your contract. I did and it is half the reason I am a Cpl almost a year ahead of my peers. 2. Talk to your recruiter about other bonuses like the 50k college fund. I got it just because I asked him what else he could do for me. If you can get a signing bonus great but I wouldn't count on that. Next explore all the jobs that the recruiter has to offer. It's gonna be really hard for you to get any college done as a grunt so check all the fields, your recruiter will have a binder with every enlisted MOS in it and a description as well as a GT score requirement, so check that out and don't let him tell you that he doesn't. At this point in the year your recruiter is gonna be hurting for people so you should be able to get a good deal, though if you hold out until Oct, he will have alot more jobs to choose from for you, because that is the new fiscal year. The bottom line is if you don't think the deal is sweet enough then don't sign. And btw that contract you signed does not mean a thing the real one is signed right before you get on the bus so you don't have to worry about getting in trouble by breaking the contract. You are the most important person right now and you have to make the right decision for your self and the hell with everyone else cause this is the most serious decision you have ever had to make in your life. Cause after you sign and you get on that bus, you are not the most important anymore, the Corps is, so make sure you take advantage when you can. :2guns:

Semper Fi!

I had the PLC question--update and question about Bootstrap

Rereading that last post, I made a mistake with something--I meant If I enlisted ACTIVE I'd be going in September (Freudian slip, I guess).
Anyway, I talked with a retired USMC Colonel and he said if I went Reserves I'd be in Iraq in 9 months. So, I'm sticking with my original plan to go active and go to Basic 7 September. My MOS is Fire Direction/Control which I hope would allow me to complete some college course work. It also comes with $6,000 bonus when I finish the school at Ft. Sill, OK. My plans are to do the 4 years, then decide whether to stay in or not. If I stay in, it'll depend on the possibility of getting a commission somehow.
And then another question--my recruiter told me about a program (called the "Bootstrap" program, maybe?) where the Corps will pay for you to go to college (Corporals and up) if you meet the requirements. Anyone heard of it?

Bootstrap? I never heard of it, I know that you can go to "Boost" or the "Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program" or MECEP. both afford you a chance to go to college as an enlisted man making Sgt pay or your respective rank above Sgt. Maybe Bootstrap is NickName for one of these programs. You can apply to both of the above programs as a LCpl.
But you cannot qualify until you are a Cpl. Fire/signal is an Artillery MOS.
Do you have a guarantee on that particular MOS on your contract? If not you might be stuck as just regular Arty 0811
You are still gonna be in the field alot with that MOS. So you won't have all that much time to go to school, infact alot of artillery guys are in the field more than grunts or for longer periods of time on exercises. I would suggest being an 0511 MAGTF Planner or 0231 Intel analyst, or perhaps something in the 04xx field which is logistics, something that gets you in a headquarters so you have more time to take courses. Why? Because the people that decide whether you should go to one of those programs look at you on paper and see you have taken advantage of college already while you are enlisted and gotten good grades they will be more apt to accept your application. But you have to do what makes the most sense for you.

MECEP

Hey Hulk, did you stay in and switch to the dark side?

Nope, took a reserve position and headed off to engineering school. Stayed in the reserves for years and switched to NG once I moved to Wi. What kinda Pro/Con marks do you have? And what is your relationship with your CO, he needs to write the recommendation plus you have to submit to the same crap as a WO, pictures and such.

Semper Fi.

Yeah, I'm motivated

Don't worry--I just want to be a Marine. If the chance comes to lead Marines as an officer, I'll take it. You don't have to worry about me being a unmotivated!
And thanks for the clarification on the college program.

I'm on Marine Security Guard Duty, my last pro/cons were from when I was a Lance, I don't have any for Cpl yet, I'll be a Sgt before I have to submit that package though. My CO just changed, but I know alot of officers that would write me good recommendations back at my old Unit. I worked at II MEF HQ, so there was alot of brass. Don't worry, the Gunny here is pretty good with admin so we'll hook up the package. How many Marines do you know that actually get a hug from your 1stSgt when your checking out of your unit? In his office no less. And yes he was a DI at one time. :drill:

My SgtMaj actually kept me clean....

Like your 1st Sgt, my SgtMaj used to protect our rears. Got caught once with an OB Beer in my footlocker right after doing a mission into Korea and the LtCol found it :shock: The SgtMaj spoke up for me and actually convinced the LtCol to write my Letter of Rec for MECEP, great guy, retired right after our tour in Korea.

Anyway, get some pro/con marks as an NCO and get the package together earlier than later.

Semper Fi.

An Officer who was an enlisted Marine prior to becoming an Officer. I hear they are generally more respected because they've been in the enlisted men's shoes.

Back