United States - how are we seen?

godofthunder9010

I'd like to get a feeling for how the USA is seen by those not in the United States on this forum. Most importantly, what are some thoughts about the US military/diplomatic involvement internationally? If you are from the US, please don't respond. Just looking for the brutally honest truth here.

well.. from Singapore's point of view, the US is seen to lead the world in almost all aspects of the worldly affairs. In politics, in arms, in economy... and most importantly, in maintaining world peace and order.

I think no other country in the world will be so involved in maintaining peace and security in the world as much as the US. In short, the world's prosperity relies heavily on the US.

Americans may not feel that heavy burden of responsibility and example that most of the world see and follow the US. For most Americans, everyday is just another day.

Especially friends of the US see America as the forerunner of many things which we may copy and adopt from America. Be it social, economical or political.
;)

Yeah yeah SAINT is right. Uhm, specially Europe hasnt got the balls to spend men and money to protect itself. Shame on us.
The US helps promote stability and democracy in the world.
I would be speaking Russian now if hundreds of thousands young americans hadnt sacrificed their lives for ME. For us all.
Gratitude is the feeling of true men.

This is my view and not "my" countrys view.

Bad thing: nationalism in the highs, or patrioism as its called over there.
Which is a thing that buggs me.

Good thing: opertunitys land.

America is seen here as being the dominant country in the world, but also being self-centred, in that you bully other countries and dont respect any views apart from your own - nationalism/patriotism is again something that bugs us as you were your heart on your sleeve with the love you have for your country which makes you look like you dont care about other countries views and your seen as being ignorant about global issues, foreign countries customs/beliefs etc.

We Chinese generally "hate" Americans to act like "world police", messing up in other countries internal affairs, quite sick of this.

For Chinese special case, it is Taiwan, without USA we can solve Taiwan problem easily and in a peaceful way just like we did to HongKong, but USA is messing up there, of course for the interests of Americans, not really for Taiwanese.

Except Taiwan issue, Chinese generally like the country of USA and the people Americans.

But he*l, USA cannot make trouble to China for long time more, China is rising, who is to bully whom is a big question in the near future (just kidding) :D

In France, the american way is seen as a threat to our culture and most of what is imported or copied there is not the best America could provide. Nobody forces the French to adopt the base ball hat toward the back and the baggy pants dragging crotches on a the curb...sure! but come on: the US marketting is huge and via TV shows, movies and video Games the junk culture is spreading like the plague.
Politically, the US is a young powerful country, a kid, a bully with attention disorder and short term memory. Italian guy is right, I would be German or Russian without the cold war....but I know better now and history showed me it was not just an act of greatness of heart. For one country the US brought freedom too, I can easily name one that was messed up, most of the time with a good intent at the start.
As far as remembering our debts, again, we celebrate May 8 and October 11 every year on top of each little city or town celebrating its liberation day. Military honors, vets, civilians crowd the US military cemetaries back home and "celebrate" all the US soldiers who died for us...we remember! In America everything was packed up in Vets day! I wonder how many among you can right away, from the top of their head, tell me what 6/6, 5/8 and 10/11 are? We all do and it is a day off!
As far as relations go you have 3 things in motion: the media and their agenda but not representative of the people (french hatred vs US hatred), the politicians (power play, national agenda) and the military (France is the second force provider in Afghanistan after the US, supports the US in Haiti and former Yugoslavia, just moved to help Sudan on its own and has 1 third of its total forces deployed in various countries within the UN or NATO!).
We have our own culture, national agenda, sensitivity. Too often the US tried to boss us around or stabbed us on the back too (Indochina, Suez).
It is the famous French - American love-hate partnership!

AsianAmerican said:
Seems like us Americans are the most hated country in the world? :cry:

You are American citizen therefore you are NOT allowed to mess in the Topic :lol:

Check the Original Post, NO Americans :D

I'll insert this much. Flying Frog is quite correct, I want to get the straight truth and allowing Americans to flame or respond limits what people from other countries are willing to share.

Don't make any mistake about it: if tomorow push comes to showe and Western democracies and cultures are at risk, we'll be 100% on the US's side! :rambo:

By the way,we just got Polished rocks for our water fountains at work and they are "made in China"!!!! :?: :?: :?: :cry:
America has reached the point were even river rocks are cheaper to get from China than from its own land! :shock:
The US might need a lot of help sooner than we think! :lol: :p :lol:

I'm from the UK so generally we see the US as a close ally and our friends. That would be the majority view. A minority view is that the US are meddlers and exploiters and that they should just keep their noses out of things.

Even though most British people view the US warmly there are major unfavourable opinions that always come out:

The US is insular
The US is disrespectful of anything that isn't 'American'
The US believes that it cannot learn anything from foreign powers
The US is full of over-the-top idiots
The US is populated by Jerry Springer contestants
The US tries to stamp its culture on other nations
The US holds 'World Series' in sports that only itself and Canada participate in
The US Armed Forces regard themselves as the best in the world

There are more but that's the general gist. I'd like to point out that these are not my opinions. Having been to the US on more than several occasions most of these opinions in the main are stereotypes with little foundation in fact. I'm more annoyed that you guys call 'the beautiful game' soccer. :p

My personal point of view is that the USA is just a country like everyone else. It has good sides and bad sides.

The only thing that annoys me is this "we're the best, f**k the rest" mentality that some people, especially in the government, like to show.

The last Iraq politics of America indicated us obviously, America care herself only.

I must be out of forum now.May be later I could explain the reasons.

Some will argue that many muslims hate America/american for their freedoms and way of life. This is absolutely wrong US culture has a huge impact on culture in my place of birth (Pakistan). There are 2 Main reasons people don't like the US One of them which I don't want to talk about is the Israel/Palestine Issue the other is that people hate the way the US goes around being the world police (or claiming to be) because 9 out of ten times the US will not act on a problem unless acting on it somehow is beneficial to them. This obvious in places like Iraq while Saddam was Useful to the US no one did anything about him the US actually Sold him weapons. He did not become this Horrible monster overnight he was still doing Every thing back then that was used to Justify the war in Iraq. Personally i think this just Bush's personal agenda because He needed a distraction since he lost Osama well that or revenge for daddy dearest. (This really is a huge problem the US has a VERY bad case of ADD cant focus on one thing).Long story short people think the US meddles in other peoples business for personal gain. (But then again so do most other countrys i guess this is just what comes with being on top)

venom928 said:
Some will argue that many muslims hate America/american for their freedoms and way of life. This is absolutely wrong US culture has a huge impact on culture in my place of birth (Pakistan). There are 2 Main reasons people don't like the US One of them which I don't want to talk about is the Israel/Palestine Issue the other is that people hate the way the US goes around being the world police (or claiming to be) because 9 out of ten times the US will not act on a problem unless acting on it somehow is beneficial to them. This obvious in places like Iraq while Saddam was Useful to the US no one did anything about him the US actually Sold him weapons. He did not become this Horrible monster overnight he was still doing Every thing back then that was used to Justify the war in Iraq. Personally i think this just Bush's personal agenda because He needed a distraction since he lost Osama well that or revenge for daddy dearest. (This really is a huge problem the US has a VERY bad case of ADD cant focus on one thing).Long story short people think the US meddles in other peoples business for personal gain. (But then again so do most other countrys i guess this is just what comes with being on top)

You're absolutely correct, but IMO most other countries do exactly the same, i.e. follow a course of self interest. You only notice it with the US so much because their profile is so unbelievably high and the ramifications of any action they make are felt far outside the US itself.

Unfortunately this will continue until somehow we develop into more responsible, less emotional animals. Joking aside, we could do worse than evolve into a species of Vulcans, hopefully without the silly eyebrows and ears. 8)

Mexico

Most of us Mexicans ( the ones we live in Mexico, not in the U.S.) think this when United States is mentioned :

arrogant
racist
selfish
meddler
ignorant

However, theres exceptions.

Thank you.

they are two types of American.
One is showing responsibility as leading power of the world, smart, open mind, promoting democracy, hate "bad guys", like to travel around the world.
The second one is extactly described as the Mexian guys said.

I think US shall be devided into two countries, UN shall setup agenda for this, put the first one as real leader. And, throw all those second type peope into texas or alabama,

It was sad Southern didn get independence back in 1860s, otherwise, they won't even survivie until this time. Now, we have to put up with those stupid Southern American stay in US government and bring so much trouble in the world

Mod edit: Adjust your attitude immediately, if you cannot make your point without using insults and with at least some maturity, do not post anything at all. Word to the wise, somebody with your demonstrated command of spelling, grammar, and punctuation should probably tread lightly as far as calling others "stupid" goes.

Back