Is United Kingdom a Superpower?

SAINT

United Kingdom -- Can we consider it a Superpower?

Let's say if she's attacked by Russia, can she defend herself and counterattack..

How does she compare in military wise to China's forces?

So do you consider UK a superpower?

:roll: ;)

No, THe UK is not a military super power. They do have a very strong militray force, but they do not have the assests to wage war against a force like China or the Soviets (I still can't call them the Russians). It's naval force is not uo to task. The UK has no major carrier group. And by that I mean somehting on the level of a US Naval carrier. It's naval assests for their carriers are VSTOl aircraft and anti sub choppers. It's ground force are capable of holding their own, but once again.. they do not have the means to move them without NATO (aka...USA) support. It's nuclear force is with it's subs and bombers. It has no ICBMs. No qick strike opition unless it places it's subs near the enemy coast. Yes, you can get a first strike with that opition but then that means the UK has attacked first. It's Air Power can also hold it's own, but remember, most of it's assests are tied in with US Froces in the UK. And that is due to NATO treaties and also the 99 year lease of bases. It's to the point that the UK naval forces play b!tch to the US. I don't want to be mean. But it's the truth. THat's because the UK and the USA have become such close allies, that the UK depends on the USA for alot of things.

The only superpower in the world at the moment is the USA. There are regional powers such as China and the UK but they are not superpowers at all.

No the days of being a super power have passed, but one thing is sure if some one upsets us then they can find them selfs with trouble on their hands. Our forces may not be large but they are well balanced, well trained and well armed with good leadership.

Being a superpower is besides being at the forefront of nations, an onerous responsibility. Something we are all too well aware of in the US these days. Britain is actually better off in many ways to have left those days behind. Not that she doesn't still act responsibly in the world as often as she can.

Before beginning a thread like this one should define what it is they are asking comment on. For example, define superpower, what does that mean.
I don't mean any disrespect , but it would help better define the discourse to follow.
I have the same problem with similar threads, for example what is the best jet fighter? Of all time, or currently?
8)
Just my humble opinion.
:roll:

I hate to say it, but the UK is not a superpower. Not anymore. It was one during its colonial heydays, pre WW II. Damn sorry to say it, but brittania no longer rules the waves... :(

However, I will say this- the british armed forces, albeit their small size, are very potent, well trained and reasonably well equipped. Its SF are most likely (c/f the israelis) the best in the world.

tomtom22 said:
Before beginning a thread like this one should define what it is they are asking comment on. For example, define superpower, what does that mean.

While there are many definitions, superpower as it applies to millitary historians refers to a nation that can project its power effectively to any major geographic region. A regional power is one that carries significant sway in its region, this is the catagory that nations like China and the UK fall under. The difference is that if the US wants to take down Iraq one day in 2002, it can; Brittain does not have the same capabilities to project its power.

Possibly, but the people of Britian (with exceptions of course) have no desire to acheive that status so it wont happen.

Saint what is your signature trying to say. Im obviously too dull to understand it.

It means that grown ups in the world like to have war for their own reasons.. but they have taken little consideration for infants and small children who need peace to grow up safely and happily.

;)

Don't worry Brits, even if the UK is not a superpower.

a superpower country can have a lot of headaches, and cannot be entirely successful militarily as well... ;)

With the Empire now a part of history there is not the need for Britain to have a large standing Army, Navy & Air Force. Yet we still remain one of the richest nations in the world and have a comfortable standard of living. We have a full range of nuclear capability and all the methods of delivering it. Our forces are very mobile and can be sent to any part of the globe in hours if necessary. No we are not on par with man power like America, Russia or China, but they all know we are there.

Britain is a political superpower, with probably the most professional, if not the most infrastructure capable, military in the world. Crossing Britain is crossing a big red political line.

If we're talking about militarily then no, there's only one superpower and that's the US. However, in all other ways Britain is a superpower. I mean look at the size of the country and then realise it has the world's 4th strongest economy. It is also, along with the rest of the G8, one of the most politically influential nations in the world, especially when you consider its colonial links.

It's worth remembering too that Britain in the days of the British Empire was probably the greatest superpower the world has seen.

UK is a regional power in Europe but not at all a Super-power.

Only USA currently holds this position. There are some major factors involved to achieve this situation.

The fundmental factors are:

- Strongest Economy
- Strongest Military
- Industrial Giant
- Massive Political Impact over the world
- VETO power in UN
- The capability to sustain in case of major disastors

USA enjoys all of these options and UK only enjoys 3.

China is the up-coming giant indeed as it enjoys 4 but it is ahead in every aspect to UK except 1 and that is (VETO).

no not a superpower but still a major power
1 4th largest economy in the world
2 one of best equipped and best trained army in the world
3 in g8
4 in the 5 major powers in UN
5 second best navy in world

There is no doubt that Brittain is a large power in the world, especially considering her socio-geographic size.

But here's the difference. If the United States wakes up one day in 2002 and decides to take down Iraq, it can. Brittain just doesn't have capabilities like that.

That ability to project one's power so strongly anywhere in the world is what defines a superpower.

Back