Is United Kingdom a Superpower? - Page 5

--

August 19th, 2005  
SAINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
In a fictional scenario let's just say that in case 1 China was angry at France, in case 2 america is angry at france. In case 1 France doesn't get it's cheaply manufactured products, inflating prices somewhat as companies seek more expensive countries to manufacture in. In case 2 America blockades all of it's technology and resources from France, it exerts preassure on other close countries like Japan to also prevent its electronics, cars etc. from being sold to France. Oh boy, I wouldn't want to be in the market for a new TV in France in Case 2! And if it came to all out hatred all China could do is sit and brood in their country hopeing they could use the only weapon that could hit France from China, the nuclear ICBM. Whereas America could use its bases and 12 aircraft carriers to pummell France into a rubble that hasn't been seen since WW2. This is the difference in capability between a superpower and a regional power.

Now why doesn't China have the same millitary power? Because its economy isn't as strong... it can't afford to build huge carriers with smart bombs stationed all around the world. But, it is growing and may one day become a superpower, as might England. But the future is speculate and the present is factual.
Then how well would France compare in its military to the UK...?

August 20th, 2005  
LeEnfield

Saint.......How would you compare France to England,, well the answer would all depend if yopu were french or English
August 20th, 2005  
Corocotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Saint.......How would you compare France to England,, well the answer would all depend if yopu were french or English
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn´t France have more nukes( around 350) than England?
--
August 20th, 2005  
Shadowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corocotta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn´t France have more nukes( around 350) than England?
Yea i believe france does have more nukes than us, they also have Mirage varients designed specially to drop nukes - Mirage 2000N. France also has a larger aircraft carrier which can carry the rafale, unlike britain which only has 1 carrier at the minute which can only carry harriers and helicopters.
August 20th, 2005  
ill be damed if i know

we did have three aircraft carriers but HMS invicible was decommisioned now we have two however there are two large aircraft carriers coming in 2015 and only the american aircraft carriers will be bigger.
August 20th, 2005  
Shadowalker

Yea lookin forward to the new carriers. ark royal is in refit at the minute and dont think shes back in action for awhile tho cant remember how long it is.
August 20th, 2005  
ozmilman

Anyone heard of Coca-Cola Imperialism? Sorry fi this has been mentioned, i'm tired and just came across this thread. America is the ONLY superpower. 200 years ago people in 75 percent of the world were speaking with English accents, now most of the world loves everything American and we are slowly being Americanized. That is the mark of a true superpower - massive cultural influence. What would make it even better though would be if everything coming along culturally from America was good. Oprah for instance - bad! She represents everything that is wrong with the world - self centred greed and materialism. But mindless droogs lap it up like the idiots they are and soon a national identity is lost. I think it's amazing to watch, these little white kids born in country towns walking around with their pants around their knees making weird signs with their fingers and pretending they are HOMIES.
America is indeed a superpower in almost every way.
It'd be nice, though, if they could take a couple of percent out of their military budget and try to help the sick and homeless or something. I mean, they could afford a few less nukes couldn't they?

Rich.
August 20th, 2005  
LeEnfield

ozmilman......Well at least they are still all speaking English even if it has an American accent. All those years ago English was much more broken than it is today. Back then the Regional accents in Britain were almost like a foreign language, even now you find words and sayings in different counties that are only used there.
August 21st, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET

I agree. The British armies are well trained, and honorable.
August 22nd, 2005  
SAINT

So what can we say about the UK?

Is she a Superpower or is she not...

Or maybe UK is a lesser Superpower?