Is United Kingdom a Superpower?

Whispering Death said:
In a fictional scenario let's just say that in case 1 China was angry at France, in case 2 america is angry at france. In case 1 France doesn't get it's cheaply manufactured products, inflating prices somewhat as companies seek more expensive countries to manufacture in. In case 2 America blockades all of it's technology and resources from France, it exerts preassure on other close countries like Japan to also prevent its electronics, cars etc. from being sold to France. Oh boy, I wouldn't want to be in the market for a new TV in France in Case 2! And if it came to all out hatred all China could do is sit and brood in their country hopeing they could use the only weapon that could hit France from China, the nuclear ICBM. Whereas America could use its bases and 12 aircraft carriers to pummell France into a rubble that hasn't been seen since WW2. This is the difference in capability between a superpower and a regional power.

Now why doesn't China have the same millitary power? Because its economy isn't as strong... it can't afford to build huge carriers with smart bombs stationed all around the world. But, it is growing and may one day become a superpower, as might England. But the future is speculate and the present is factual.

Then how well would France compare in its military to the UK...?

:roll: ;)

Saint.......How would you compare France to England,, well the answer would all depend if yopu were french or English

LeEnfield said:
Saint.......How would you compare France to England,, well the answer would all depend if yopu were french or English

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn´t France have more nukes( around 350) than England?

Corocotta said:
LeEnfield said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn´t France have more nukes( around 350) than England?

Yea i believe france does have more nukes than us, they also have Mirage varients designed specially to drop nukes - Mirage 2000N. France also has a larger aircraft carrier which can carry the rafale, unlike britain which only has 1 carrier at the minute which can only carry harriers and helicopters.

we did have three aircraft carriers but HMS invicible was decommisioned now we have two however there are two large aircraft carriers coming in 2015 and only the american aircraft carriers will be bigger. :D

Yea lookin forward to the new carriers. ark royal is in refit at the minute and dont think shes back in action for awhile tho cant remember how long it is.

Anyone heard of Coca-Cola Imperialism? Sorry fi this has been mentioned, i'm tired and just came across this thread. America is the ONLY superpower. 200 years ago people in 75 percent of the world were speaking with English accents, now most of the world loves everything American and we are slowly being Americanized. That is the mark of a true superpower - massive cultural influence. What would make it even better though would be if everything coming along culturally from America was good. Oprah for instance - bad! She represents everything that is wrong with the world - self centred greed and materialism. But mindless droogs lap it up like the idiots they are and soon a national identity is lost. I think it's amazing to watch, these little white kids born in country towns walking around with their pants around their knees making weird signs with their fingers and pretending they are HOMIES.
America is indeed a superpower in almost every way.
It'd be nice, though, if they could take a couple of percent out of their military budget and try to help the sick and homeless or something. I mean, they could afford a few less nukes couldn't they?

Rich.

ozmilman......Well at least they are still all speaking English even if it has an American accent. All those years ago English was much more broken than it is today. Back then the Regional accents in Britain were almost like a foreign language, even now you find words and sayings in different counties that are only used there.

So what can we say about the UK?

Is she a Superpower or is she not...

Or maybe UK is a lesser Superpower?

:roll: ;)

I think the term we are looking for is "World Power"... Britiain isn't a superpower, but it IS a world power in that it has power on a global level, but doesn't control as much as a superpower would. I think there can only REALLY be one superpower at a time.

Rich.

Summarizing...

I agree with UK being a world power. We've let alot of things drop since empire, HOWEVER, our Air force and i believe our Navy, are the second largest in NATO, and THE LARGEST in Europe. Our political clout is considered to be one of the hardest, simply out of respect, i don't know, but it still is.

On the subject of France having more nukes then the UK... WTH... What moron would deploy nukes at the distance between UK and France? The fall off would be swept to France, causing mass radiation poisoning for years to come. On that note, nukes aside, UK has more aircraft, a larger and soon to be better Equipped and capable Navy, and a (in most peoples opinion) a better trained Army. On the subject of SF's.... Frances best Special forces, arent even French, they just owe Allegiance to France. Third... we wouldn't fight with the French, in fact, we are actually working with them for better security of both nations.

On the subject of the US and its power projection capability. YES, it does have more power projection then china, however. US could not militarily threaten France without due reason, because whether it likes it or not, it couldn't afford a war with Europe if it did happen, which WOULD happen in the event of the US raising even one rifle in Frances direction. The US is limited by the fact that, it is powerful, and yet it needs to constantly be wary of how it uses it. The US uses the European market more then anyone else, and if that were to cut off, aswell as European exports, AND a war with Europe, which would consist of Germany aswell, the current largest Arms prducer in Europe.

Lastly, UK as a power during Empire, it had the largest empire in the world, and in known history. It's current state is a modern, manageable one, which had to come about due to freedom of nations from under Imperial rule, and Monitary concerns which grew from the resources thrown into WWI and WWII, of course, dont forget, if the US had been in the Wars from the start, and not come in 3-4 years later, then they would have lost as much as the rest of us, but they didn't, and they haven't. If the war had been on the US's doorstep, lets say a tooled up Mexico, which Germany had tried to conscript during WWI into a War with the US, which at the time only had Coast Guard / Militia forces, not even a full time army, the world would be so much different today.

Shock, 07

P.S. Sorry for the Necro....

Last edited:
Way to pick up on ONE comment i made guys :) FFL, to my knowledge has been acclaimed as SF's, if they aren't then that's a mistake ive made, not exactly like im pretending to be an expert on France, just simply stating basic facts.

I had a whole other post to go over, France was the middle part, :p

Shock, 07

The FFL does have a large number of French nationals within its ranks.
They sign on as Belgians, or Swiss, or any other French speaking nation they can think of!

Bootneck 42 you are are cleared hot. I say again you are Wings level and cleared hot, I have your tally.:D
Roger that :smil:

Way to pick up on ONE comment i made guys :) FFL, to my knowledge has been acclaimed as SF's, if they aren't then that's a mistake ive made, not exactly like im pretending to be an expert on France, just simply stating basic facts.

I had a whole other post to go over, France was the middle part, :p

Shock, 07
For christ's sake mate!
You are on a military forum - what do you expect!

Back