United Kingdom Military

DingleRipper

Hey , please can people tell me how strong the UK Really is. It is a small country etc yet i've heard the uk has the 2nd biggest navy and some of the best technology.

Also please does anyone know which countries are the UKS allies and would always fight i know of . Nato , us , france , austrailia and few others.

Thank you.

DingleRipper said:
Also please does anyone know which countries are the UKS allies and would always fight i know of . Nato , us , france , austrailia and few others.

Thank you.
France? Mmh :lol:
Well UK is a member of NATO and that's the only binding military agreement it is part of, that I know of. Another non-Nato countries that would want to intervene on its side in case of hostilities against UK would probably be Australia.
Basically it all boils down to the US, if you want my opinion.
And this should help you on the Navy information.

The brits are some of the best trained armed forces around. However with the exception of of the new Type 45 destroyers basically everything is a generation behind what the US has. Exception of the Challenger 2 arguably the best MBT on earth.

There are larger Navies but the RN is well trained and fairly well equipped, The Army is under strength and they fairly good equipment but there is room for further improvement. The Air force, well that totally under equipped in departments and is short on all sorts of aircraft

I don't know if their navy is the 2nd largest in the world or not but I would agree if you said it was the 2nd best in the world. I believe that Britain is one of those countries where they have a relatively small navy, but it's so freakin powerful that it can do the job of a much larger navy with the same style of finesse if not better. In other words, quality over quantity. Then again, Britain has always had to maintain a formidable navy because they're surrounded by water, and they have done so since the 1600s.

As for their air force, I think it leaves much to be improved upon which is why I think they invested so heavily in the X-35/JSF project ($2 billion I believe....). I tend to hold their military in high regard. If I had to choose five militaries to come with me on my world domination quest :pirate:, I'd choose the US, Britain, Japan, Israel, and Australia.

In terms of numbers (man-power) i think its

Army 106,000
RAF 75,000
RN 50,000

As for Equiment the UK's is good not great, its best strengths are it training and NCO's

UK has one of the best trained Military in the world.

Mod Edit: We will not engage in a "Who's better" discussion here.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very strong and respected military. The British military is very similar to the Aussies in a lot of ways (which is why I like you guys), but have the benifit of a much larger population to support the military. In Australia we have no choice but to focus on quality, not quantity. The Brits seem to do both (quanitity by comparison to Australia) very well.

As for nations that'll fight alongside the UK always, I put it like this. There are only 3 that I belive will always jump in. Australia, UK and the USA. That's it. The others have in the past not proved so loyal/quick off the mark as these three.

AussieNick said:
As for nations that'll fight alongside the UK always, I put it like this. There are only 3 that I belive will always jump in. Australia, UK and the USA. That's it. The others have in the past not proved so loyal/quick off the mark as these three.

Very true.

I did an exchange tour with the Royal Air Force in a past life. An extraordinarily capable organization that does amazing things leveraging technology to make up for small numbers.
But the small numbers are telling. With the collapse of the Warsaw PAct, the Brits have no natural enemies and support for a robust military has wained.

And the Brits carry some very heavy post-colonial baggage that complicates thier involvement in any coalition activities. Remember, Brit fingerprints are all over the Middle East and not ususally in a good way.

But, all that being said, if I went to war, there is no service I'd rather partner with than the Brits. And they through some hellacious mess dinners.

I wouldn't say the Brits are the best in the world, not after WWII. Well, like any army in the world, they have their weakness too.

zander_0633 said:
I wouldn't say the Brits are the best in the world, not after WWII. Well, like any army in the world, they have their weakness too.
Care to back up your presumptous claims?

zander_0633 said:
Look at their records in the Afghan war, Iraq war, WWII.
You'll know wad I am talking about.

World War II (1939–1945)
Anglo-Iraqi War (1941)
Greek Civil War (1941–1949)
Cold War (1945–1991)
Malayan Emergency (1948–1960)
Korean War (1950–1953)
Mau Mau Uprising (1952–1960)
Cyprus Emergency (1955–1959)
Suez Crisis (1956)
Brunei Uprising (1962)
Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation (1962–1966)
Aden Emergency (1963–1967)
Northern Ireland Troubles (1969-mid 1990s)
Cod War Confrontation (1975–1976)
Falklands War (1982)
The First Gulf War (1990–1991)
The Bosnian War (1995–1996)
The Kosovo War (1999)
Sierra Leone Civil War (2000)

I have looked at the records (I think you should also)and I have no idea what you're talking about.

I wouldn't say the Brits are the best in the world either. But they are one of the best.

Back