Uninstall Mandriva/Reinstall XP

Mr KillKill

I installed Mandriva on my PC but have since decided to return to XP, Ithought I could just restart the PC and install XP once I reformatted the HD but I get a message that says I don't have a HD installed.
Really starting to be a headache.:bang:

If it makes a difference, I didn't partition the drive when I put Mandriva on so Mandriva takes up the whole drive.

If you want to test Linux and you haven't tried it before you should install Ubuntu Linux.
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/804features/

It's really easy to install and use and has a lot of great features. :smil:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I installed Mandriva on my PC but have since decided to return to XP, Ithought I could just restart the PC and install XP once I reformatted the HD but I get a message that says I don't have a HD installed.
Are you using the original installation CD for windows XP?
That one should be bootable and you should be able to format your HDD and install XP directly from that one..

Does the Win XP CD start at all when you try to reboot with it??

Sorry, am writing this from work so won't be able to accuratly anwer until I recheck my PC.
I have a store bought version of WinXP home that I can load up, it loads all the install settings, gets to a screen that says to hit enter to install windows and then I get a screen that says I don't have a HD.
But I will recheck the PC and write out the full message.

What kind of HDD do you have? SATA or IDE?
Is the HDD detected if you enter BIOS setup??

Its an IDE drive in a removable drive rack, my other HDD drives load OK so I know its not a problem with the rack.
As for the BIOS, not sure, will have to check on that but bear with in regards to anything RE: BIOS. I can muddle through most stuff on a PC but some gets a bit beyond me at times.

EDIT:
All sorted, ran "repair Windows XP" then DISKPART, partitioned the drive, rebooted the sytem, reformated and installed XP.
Think I'll stick with what I'm used to

Last edited:
Back