Uniform of GLA Leader in Command & Conquer Generals Zero

If you've played the game, the guy in my avatar may look familiar to you. If not, you can look at it now ;)

Does anybody know what country the uniform is from or if it is a real uniform at all?

For some reason, my avatar isn't displayed next to my posts. It is however displayed in my profile (at least when I view it).

I don't think that's a real uniform..
It looks like a crossbreed between a Russian and Chinese one??

And for your avatar question:
You'll need to head over to the MilForum PX (Link at the top) and buy the avatar privilege in the special effects store.. :)

Thanks Redleg. Can't afford an avatar yet, unfortunately. :( Would you be willing to lend me 44 MilBucks? :D

I used to think the uniform was from some country with mostly desert, or something. I checked some Iranian, Iraqi and Egyptian stuff on the web but they all seem to have green uniforms.

First of all, Command and Conquer Generals is a completely fictitious game. Second of all, Command and Conquer Generals is heavily stereotyped. Third of all, Command and Conquer Generals departed itself away from reality.

1. The American side have the Commanche. Well....the Pentagon will not field the Commanche at all in the near future. In terms of the technology, although there are a few exceptions to several units such as the Predator Drones, Paladin, Night Hawk, B-2, etc in terms of reality....however all of them are not accurate in all details.

2. The Chinese side of course has many stereotypes in there. All the units and the weapons used by the Chinese Side is a completely false. It explains why the Game Developer's has their weaknesses in their knowledge of Foreign Weapons.

3. GLA? Again, its the stereotypes that insults people from the Middle East. I don't believe any organized Splinter Cells and Terrorist Organizations can form such a well-resourceful militia such as the GLA. As for weapons, again, the Developers have their weaknesses in knowledge of several equipments used.

Overall Command and Conquer Generals have captured the minds of many gamers in terms of its Prestigious RTS title, Graphics, and fun...but it is insulting to many people I know who came from Chinese or Arabic backgrounds.

EA GAMES however is attempting to come to a more realistic approach and to continue another popular Franchise known as "Battlefield".

http://www.totalbf2.com/game/classes/

The Game sets in the near future. The sides are USA, China, and the Middle East Coalition. Because of EA Game's knowledge about militaries of other nations are still lacking, but Battlefield 2 at least provides a more closer look to the real thing than Command and Conquer Generals.

Command and Conquer Generals even parted from Command and Conquer in general!
It was a pretty crap game to begin with and didn't improve much. And yes, very stereotyping.

From what I have remembered during 1996, the Command and Conquer Title was such a hit after Command and Conquer Red Alert was released. From then on, I have became a fan of the Command and Conquer series. But as time goes on and as every person ages, I didn't even bother begin going into gaming again.....not unless I have completely nothing to do.

Yea that game has a lot of stereotypes like how the chinese yell, "kill the foreign devils!" But it was released after 9/11 and so america had to seem nice and the gla was needed to be a real threat, not just random rebels. The chinese were the equivalent of the soviets in earlier games, so they had to use the whole mass produced out dated weapons thing. But the game takes place roughly 20 years from now so a lot of those weapons in the game arfe supposed to be high-tech for the US, that's why you see comanches and all.

Afterall, you can't have an rts without balanced sides.

Cabal said:
First of all, Command and Conquer Generals is a completely fictitious game. Second of all, Command and Conquer Generals is heavily stereotyped. Third of all, Command and Conquer Generals departed itself away from reality.

1. The American side have the Commanche. Well....the Pentagon will not field the Commanche at all in the near future. In terms of the technology, although there are a few exceptions to several units such as the Predator Drones, Paladin, Night Hawk, B-2, etc in terms of reality....however all of them are not accurate in all details.

2. The Chinese side of course has many stereotypes in there. All the units and the weapons used by the Chinese Side is a completely false. It explains why the Game Developer's has their weaknesses in their knowledge of Foreign Weapons.

3. GLA? Again, its the stereotypes that insults people from the Middle East. I don't believe any organized Splinter Cells and Terrorist Organizations can form such a well-resourceful militia such as the GLA. As for weapons, again, the Developers have their weaknesses in knowledge of several equipments used.

Overall Command and Conquer Generals have captured the minds of many gamers in terms of its Prestigious RTS title, Graphics, and fun...but it is insulting to many people I know who came from Chinese or Arabic backgrounds.

EA GAMES however is attempting to come to a more realistic approach and to continue another popular Franchise known as "Battlefield".

The Game sets in the near future. The sides are USA, China, and the Middle East Coalition. Because of EA Game's knowledge about militaries of other nations are still lacking, but Battlefield 2 at least provides a more closer look to the real thing than Command and Conquer Generals.

1. The Commanche was cancelled AFTER Zero Hour was released. OT: If the Pentagon doesn't like the RAH-66, does that mean no other country would be allowed to buy it? An outdated USA weapon which appears in a few missions: The Battleships with 2x3 hi-cal. cannons. I don't think any navy in the world still use these babies.

2. Not all Chinese equipment is false: The Battlemaster is the Type 88 MBT, the Helix is in use with the PLA, but I don't think China is allowed to licence build them in real life. However, it serves a different purpose (anti-sub warfare?). The Inferno Cannon may also be a real SPH (Type 88 perhaps). But yeah. the rest is pretty much fictuous or not in use with the PLA (Mig 1.44). I don't think the Tank Hunter's launcher is even real. What's fairly unstereotypical (as in Chinese only using outdated Soviet-style weaponry), however, is his PASGToid helmet.

3. Yeah, the GLA use either fictional weapons or weapons that would be of no use in a modern battlefield: Scorpion (WWII era Carro Armato P40) and Scud Launcher. Technicals have been used successfully by Chad militiamen against Libyan tanks and other forces in the early 80s.

As for stereotypes: I thought the USA side was stereotyped aswell by making them have hillbilly accents and being über-patriotic: "Destroy everything UnAmerican!", "Enemies of the Free World!" "Carryin' out the law." (This is a quote from the USA POW Truck cut from the final version of the game but featured in www.deezire.net 's ProGen mod.

A really strong case of GLA/Middle eastern sterotyping was GLA mission 4 of Zero:Hour in which you commad a small GLA commando which infiltrates a USA base on the west-coast of the 'States. As you proceed through what looks like a residential suburb there is a block containing houses with stereotypical middle-eastern architecture. Of course, GLA agents come out of those houses to aid you in your mission of raiding American weapons of mass destrcution. :roll:

What I found interesting is that the Chinese use weapons tipically used by Americans: DU Rounds (an upgrade for tanks) and Napalm. The GLA POW Truck also says "Find him and blindfold him!", which is a method notably used by coalition forces in the early stages of the Iraq war.

PS: From your flag, I assume you are German and aware on how the German version of Generals was butchered. I've never played it myself but heard that the voices sound robotic and that infantry avatars have implants in their faces which is supposed to make them look like androids. What is your opinion on this :cen: -ship? I heard EA complainedabout it and claimed that this was only done as a revenge for the American aggression on Iraq which is ridiculous. :D

WarMachine said:
Yea that game has a lot of stereotypes like how the chinese yell, "kill the foreign devils!" But it was released after 9/11 and so america had to seem nice and the gla was needed to be a real threat, not just random rebels. The chinese were the equivalent of the soviets in earlier games, so they had to use the whole mass produced out dated weapons thing. But the game takes place roughly 20 years from now so a lot of those weapons in the game arfe supposed to be high-tech for the US, that's why you see comanches and all.

Afterall, you can't have an rts without balanced sides.

Command and Conquer Generals have been released during 2003. By then they didn't learn about China's recent weapons developments and the Pentagon turning down on the Commanche plus downsizing their order for F-22s.

Again, as you have rightfully stated, RTS games require balanced sides for it to be successful in online play.

PS: From your flag, I assume you are German and aware on how the German version of Generals was butchered. I've never played it myself but heard that the voices sound robotic and that infantry avatars have implants in their faces which is supposed to make them look like androids. What is your opinion on this -ship? I heard EA complainedabout it and claimed that this was only done as a revenge for the American aggression on Iraq which is ridiculous.

In my opinion, Original Works cannot be fooled with if there is only foul play that exists. I don't have the German Version of Generals but instead the American One knowing that the German One is toned down....so I decided to go to the extreme.

I have purchased the Box Set thru the Ebay Auctioning site where one person ships worldwide.

Borat Sagdiyev said:
Cabal said:

1. The Commanche was cancelled AFTER Zero Hour was released. OT: If the Pentagon doesn't like the RAH-66, does that mean no other country would be allowed to buy it? An outdated USA weapon which appears in a few missions: The Battleships with 2x3 hi-cal. cannons. I don't think any navy in the world still use these babies.

2. Not all Chinese equipment is false: The Battlemaster is the Type 88 MBT, the Helix is in use with the PLA, but I don't think China is allowed to licence build them in real life. However, it serves a different purpose (anti-sub warfare?). The Inferno Cannon may also be a real SPH (Type 88 perhaps). But yeah. the rest is pretty much fictuous or not in use with the PLA (Mig 1.44). I don't think the Tank Hunter's launcher is even real. What's fairly unstereotypical (as in Chinese only using outdated Soviet-style weaponry), however, is his PASGToid helmet.

3. Yeah, the GLA use either fictional weapons or weapons that would be of no use in a modern battlefield: Scorpion (WWII era Carro Armato P40) and Scud Launcher. Technicals have been used successfully by Chad militiamen against Libyan tanks and other forces in the early 80s.

As for stereotypes: I thought the USA side was stereotyped aswell by making them have hillbilly accents and being über-patriotic: "Destroy everything UnAmerican!", "Enemies of the Free World!" "Carryin' out the law." (This is a quote from the USA POW Truck cut from the final version of the game but featured in www.deezire.net 's ProGen mod.

A really strong case of GLA/Middle eastern sterotyping was GLA mission 4 of Zero:Hour in which you commad a small GLA commando which infiltrates a USA base on the west-coast of the 'States. As you proceed through what looks like a residential suburb there is a block containing houses with stereotypical middle-eastern architecture. Of course, GLA agents come out of those houses to aid you in your mission of raiding American weapons of mass destrcution. :roll:

What I found interesting is that the Chinese use weapons tipically used by Americans: DU Rounds (an upgrade for tanks) and Napalm. The GLA POW Truck also says "Find him and blindfold him!", which is a method notably used by coalition forces in the early stages of the Iraq war.

I see that your defense of Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour as relating to the real world.

But as an Original Command and Conquer Fan, Command and Conquer Generals is dissapointing in terms of gameplay and weapons. If they claim that "it was ripped right off the headline news", it would be more acceptable if they drop the "traditional and custom styles" sense and to explore the inventories fielded and being planed to field in the future. More depressingly, Command and Conquer Generals is a product of cliche's made by the Media Biased Prejudices.

I have the Command and Conquer Generals set which includes the Expansion pack. After playing it several times, I have realized I have consumed several Euros for unpleasantness.

The dissapoiting Command and Conquer Games are:

Command and Conquer Red Alert 2: Humorously Ridiculous. This game portrays Russians as evil and destroyers of American Cities.

Command and Conquer Yuri's Revenge: The Storyline is absolutely absurd and it seems that Westwood is having too much fun. It wrongfully portrays war as fun.

Command and Conquer Generals: Claimed to be realistic, but too inaccurate in many aspects.

Command and Conquer Zero Hour: Same above. Released right after the initial strikes against Iraqi Cities during Gulf War II.

After the release of Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun, Westwood's last game of subperb quality, workmanship, and seriousness, Westwood have trailed into a direction which many of the original Command and Conquer Fans were dissapointed with.

as someone who has played ALL the C & C games;

generals is my favourite. yes it casts stereotypes but it casts them against EVERYONE! my fav US quote is "i'll fire at anything". (which links back to the propaganda as a weapon thread!)

it succeded in it primary mission....which was FUN as it is, afterall, a game.

tiberium sun BTW, great story...a natural progression, but a horrible pig of a game to play!

Actually Tiberian Sun is more professional in which Westwood put a great amount of work into it at almost all aspects. The project is among the biggest budgetted games and it was clear that it required a large crew to create it.

The only thing Command and Conquer Generals stood out is the animation, graphics, sound effects, and the amazing music that actually sets the situations in motion.

I agree that westwood does a lot of work on their games, but by the time they made generals, EA owned them and their games couldn't be as thought out because of how EA wanted to do things. So that's probably the reason you have some sides being stereotyped and using the most ridiculous things to fight with, like the scorpion or the rifle chinese troops.
generals is a good game for sure, but EA wanted it to appeal to the mainstream a lot more than earlier c&c games, so they had to put the obvious stereotypes in to show people what was going on. Marketing you know. Ah well.

i dont think generals was ever meant to be realistic. it was made to be a game that people could just have some fun with. if you guys want a rediculously realistic game i suggest hearts of iron 2. Generals is like NFL blitz. not meant for those who are really into the military, just those who want to blow stuff up. they use some recognizable names like the B-2 and the Commanche to draw the attention of people. so to knock on the game for not being realistic is like bashing on NFL Blitz for clotheslining, legdrops, and 15-yd first downs.

nice, emperor tanks and red guards, a good mix any day

whatever, it doesnt really insult me, its just a game, but a serious bf player like me expects better reality in battlefiled 2 though

I played Generals for literally 2 minutes and got sick of it. It was weird and unlike the other C&C games. I just couldn't be bothered with it... :(

Back