Unexploded ordnance

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
VENTURA, Calif. -- A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

http://www.local6.com/news/8472037/detail.html

A quip that I saw on another forum related to this story: hope he wasn't teaching gun safety! :lol:

Dang, that sucks to be him.

Any of you all ever seen the video of the cop teaching gun safety? He says make sure it is on safe and unloaded. Stick the gun in his pants and shoots himself in the leg/groin or whatever.

That's nothing. My gym teacher's buddy decided to throw a package of live rounds into a campfire once. I'm surprised they all lived through the experience. People will do anything:sarc:

Wow, I hate the guy had to lose his hand, but what a stupid thing to do.

Marinerhodes said:
Any of you all ever seen the video of the cop teaching gun safety? He says make sure it is on safe and unloaded. Stick the gun in his pants and shoots himself in the leg/groin or whatever.

He was a former undercover DEA agent (apparently a pretty good one too). He says "I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough to carry this Glock .40" BANG! shoots himself in the foot. I felt sorry for the guy, but the irony was difficult not to laugh at, especially at the end with the kids freaking out when he picks up another weapon.

Here's a link to the video:
http://media.putfile.com/03084899

Unfortunately, a lot of NDs occur with people that are familiar with firearms, they just get too confident and careless.

PJ24 said:
Unfortunately, a lot of NDs occur with people that are familiar with firearms, they just get too confident and careless.

I agree. Was on the rifle range awhile back and had a ND. The tower gives commands. We were in our "prep time". Hadn't even been told to load and chamber a round yet. This guy gets down in the prone, takes his weapon off safety and sends a round down range.

Why? Because he did not make sure his weapon was in condition 4 (Weapon on safe, Chamber empty, magazine removed, bolt forward, ejection port cover closed) and the block NCO (the person in charge of a certain number of targets on the firing line) did not clear him or his weapon at the previous yard line.

This is what happens when people get complacent. I am just glad for him and others that he did not have a ND where it may have hurt someone.

Hello, My name is Corporal Rhodes. I will be your instructor for the next few minutes on safety and weapons conditions for the M16A2 service rifle. (Won't get into TLOs and ELOs)

Always remember the 4 safety rules: Treat, Never, Keep, Keep:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
Keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire.
Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.

Weapons conditions of the M16A2 service rifle:

Condition 1:
Weapon on safe, Magazine inserted, Round in chamber, Bolt forward Ejection port cover closed.
Condition 2:
Weapon on safe, Magazine inserted, Chamber empty, Bolt forward, Ejection port cover closed.
Condition 3:
Does not apply to the M16A2 service rifle.
Condition 4:
Weapon on safe, Magazine removed, Chamber empty, bolt forward, Ejection port cover closed.

Notice how in each condition the weapon is on SAFE.

This concludes your period of instruction on safety and weapons conditions for the M16A2 service rifle. Any questions?

Back