undeployable status:

OIFguy

I just returned from a year ofArmy service in Iraq (as an E-5). When I returned I got attached to a new unit who says they will be deploying in 6 months. I cant bear the thought of going to Iraq for another year. I have a career, a house payment and, well, a life. Im not some kid out of high school.
Does anyone know how I can avoid going back? Is there a program I can join that will make me undeployable? I dont want to sound unpatriotic, but I feel like I served my time and shouldnt have to go back, at least for a couple years.
Thanks for any info you guys provide!

First off let me thank you for your service from the bottom of my heart, yall did and went were nobody else In the world wanted to go, and noone can take that away.

Unfortunatly, I dont know If your going to be able to get out of another deployment. Id make an effort to talk to your new CO about this.

questions answered

I am still reading all your responses. To answer some of your questions. First and most important, I am NOT weasling out of a deployment, if you spent one year there then came back to the states, you wouldnt want to go back in 6 months either.
Second, I did go to college, I have 2 bachelors degree and a masters degree. I am a scientist by profession.
Third, I have no kids and am not married, but i do have a girlfriend.
Thanks for all your advice, I will continue to monitor this topic.

I was told if I joined the national guard and went into officer training that would put me on undeployable status. But to be truthfull, i like being a sergeant and I certainly dont want to have to go through basic again

There is no positive way out of the deployment. I can tell you that for sure I have been in service for five years and been on five deployments. I think you should just go and do what you signed that line 14 times to do. when your nation calls you should answer the phone. You took an oath live it.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh but you are an NCO i know you can take it. You should think about leading your Soldiers back home not saving your own :cen:

I won't bother to comment in depth, I'm too annoyed with your post and Sgt. Breeden covered it fairly well.

Suck it up, quit whining and do your duty - we all make sacrifices and we all volunteered.

Well OIFguy the last part of your last post seems contradicting to me. You say you like being a NCO but you don't want to go back to the place where your country needs you. (I know that i'm not in the military and im just a high schooler, but i agree with sgtbreeden and RnderSafe, they know what their talking about)

My cousins husband is going through the same thing. He does some kinda satellite thing or something, and he just found out like a couple weeks after he got back that in Jan, he's going back for another year. He and his wife were going to try for another child, and no affirmations on what came of that. They also have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. He is stationed in Arizona, and the whole last year, my cousin lived there by herself on Ft. Huachucha, across the nation from all of her family.

You aren't the only one going through this. It's called volunteerism... sometimes it sucks, yes.

It sucks.

Im not gunna lie im pissed. Guess what im going through the same exact thing as you. When i get back after being deployed for almost a year. I go back to my original unit. And deploy six months later. If your reserve or guard. Just do another inner state transfer that can keep you from deploying. Or if you claim your back is messed up your non deployable. they cant prove it. Doctors now are strict and seem like they almost dont want people to deploy. And for the people that say suck it up. Wow i should smack you. This guy has a life he makes good money. He probably looses money in deployment. For the highschooler. You have no idea what its like being in the pit of hell. untill you have been there. You have no idea what a cold sweat is like. Waking up, night mares every darn day. The stresses that overwhelming feeling that you will never make it. Your family saying you have changed and you not knowing what the hell they are talking about. You think highschool is hard. **** that was a breeze. something i accomplished with a 3.5 overall gpa trashed everyday. So brother my advice to you is do the same thing i do. the army term take it like a champ cause your getting screwed.

sweet jesus, that sucks. thats how the army scams ya. i just BARELY got out myself. i was active duty, deployed in OIF 06-08. 15 months. when we got back, we had about a 5 month window to get out, cause theyd stop-loss us a few months out from going to NTC or JRTC, not from the date wed redeploy to iraq. as for your situation, id just guess that you could try to get put into the WTU for PTSD or a TBI (provided you were close enough to an explosion to have gotten one), beyond that, im not sure. it really depends on your leadership, your MTOE (yes, theyll take that into consideration before letting you go. the more valuable or the longer itd take to fill your slot, the harder theyre gonna make it. meh, youre an NCO, im sure you know that.) in any case, i really hope everything works out for you.

Back