The UN wants to control the internet

DTop

Any thoughts on this possibility?

July 11, 2005, 4:00 AM PT
By Declan McCullagh

An international political spat is brewing over whether the United Nations will seize control of the heart of the Internet.
U.N. bureaucrats and telecommunications ministers from many less-developed nations claim the U.S. government has undue influence over how things run online. Now they want to be the ones in charge.

While the formal proposal from a U.N. working group will be released July 18, it's already clear what it will contain. A preliminary summary of governmental views claims there's a "convergence of views" supporting a new organization to oversee crucial Internet functions, most likely under the aegis of the United Nations or the International Telecommunications Union.
http://zdnet.com.au/news/communications/0,2000061791,39201971,00.htm

http://sympatico-msn-ca.com.com/United+Nations+ponders+Nets+future/2100-1028_3-5179694.html?tag=nl[/quote]

Well, considering how they deal with the things they're already tasked with, it would be funny to sit back and watch anyway. I have also read that the UN wants to tax the internet :roll:

considering how much bitching there is over standards for layout and content, there is no way they will ever succeed. unless they do it ona country by country basis, but its still stupid

thought you may not have noticed THIS:

Source : Wired

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration asked a federal appeals court Friday to restore its ability to compel Internet service providers to turn over information about their customers or subscribers as part of its fight against terrorism.

The legal filing with the 2nd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in New York comes amid a debate in Congress over renewal of the Patriot Act and whether to expand the FBI's power to seek records without the approval of a judge or grand jury.

I really do love not living in America.

http://forums.punkas.com/viewtopic.php?p=373397&highlight=bush+internet#373397

with most ISP's and internet based magicry being based in the US, the ramification of any ONE body having control are huge

So, are you saying that this UN effort is a response/reaction to the US efforts to gain access to ISP user info for security reasons?

wait a minute...hold the phone...there is a run in SGT Doody's panty hose

I THOUGHT the whole world is pissed off that the United States is medling in world affairs. The cry of "stay out of OUR business" is something I have read in the world media. Now it seems the US is not influencing something and we get hell for it.

Does anyone else see where I am coming from?????

Oh I see where your coming from Sgt.

Word of advice to the UN.

Drugs are bad M'kay. And apparently you guys are smoking crack if you think this is gonna happen.

Hi,

umm uhhh ........... Most of the Internet Organisation are not Limited to one nation ........... the Current Spat is about Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) which oversees the running of the net's addressing system.

After the Current UN's World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) failed to reach an Agreement over the Future of Internet ...... it has set up a Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG) .

WGIG has issued its report about net governance and has tabled four possible futures for what should be done about policy issues, such as spam , hi-tech crime , Mobile Phones etc.

• Option One - create a UN body known as the Global Internet Council that draws its members from governments and "other stakeholders" and takes over the US oversight role of Icann.
  • Option Two - no changes apart from strengthening Icann's Governmental Advisory Committee to become a forum for official debate on net issues.
  • Option Three - relegate Icann to a narrow technical role and set up an International Internet Council that sits outside the UN. US loses oversight of Icann.
  • Option Four - create three new bodies. One to take over from Icann and look after the net's addressing system. One to be a debating chamber for governments, businesses and the public; and one to co-ordinate work on "internet-related public policy issues".

"Technological decisions should meet the needs of people, not enrich companies or enable control by governments"

Peace
-=SF_13=-

03USMC said:
Oh I see where your coming from Sgt.

Word of advice to the UN.

Drugs are bad M'kay. And apparently you guys are smoking crack if you think this is gonna happen.

ding ding ding!! we've got a winner!! well, he figured it our for me. it aint gonna happen, im sorry, but theres no way itll go thru

DTop said:
So, are you saying that this UN effort is a response/reaction to the US efforts to gain access to ISP user info for security reasons?

sorry for the delay in answering!

ummm no, i actually think that ANY one body (be it the UN, or US govt....whatever) having control over the internet to be a huge problem.

Thats okay by me, Just tell them to buy all the INTERNET companies up at the market rate and then they can run it. As they can't run a p^ss up in brewery and they can never keep their fingers out of the till, then they will never have the money to it.

Back