UN Security Council not stepping up to the plate. . . ?

Marinerhodes

Russia and China, both allies of Iran, oppose sanctions. They wanted any council statement to make explicit that the IAEA, not the Security Council, must take the lead in confronting Iran. The draft circulated to the council calls upon Iran to “resolve outstanding questions, and underlines ... the particular importance of re-establishing full and sustained suspension of all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities.” However, it removed language that China and Russia opposed, e.g. the statement that proliferation is a threat to international peace and security. Also gone is any mention of the fact that the council is specifically charged under the U.N. charter with addressing such threats.

So who still thinks China and Russia aren't trying to delay things? I mean outright ommitting one of the purposes for the UN Security Council?

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/03/30/iranresolution.shtml

I know the US has its hands full right now (militarily), but the use of military force against Iran is looking really good. While the UN/IAEA is squabbling over how some crack piece of paper is written (which the Iranians promptly spat on), the Iranians are powering up their centrifuges and preparing for full scale enrichment... Sad world we live in really.

What I find highly disturbing is the ease with which you guys like to bomb somebody else to pieces. It seems that using a bit of analytical power is redundant for your lot. "They are not us, we don't like 'm so let's bomb them. We just invaded a country on grounds of suspicion and we'd like to bomb another on the same grounds... " I thought you guys would have learned your lesson by now.
I know Iran is bad mouthing the international community, but that is politics for you. Bomb first check later is not the approach you'd expect from a country that claims to be the world leader of free nations.

What I find highly disturbing is the ease with which you guys like to bomb somebody else to pieces. It seems that using a bit of analytical power is redundant for your lot. "They are not us, we don't like 'm so let's bomb them. We just invaded a country on grounds of suspicion and we'd like to bomb another on the same grounds... " I thought you guys would have learned your lesson by now.
I know Iran is bad mouthing the international community, but that is politics for you. Bomb first check later is not the approach you'd expect from a country that claims to be the world leader of free nations.

not the same kind of grounds, though, its like turf and sand. We know that they are building Nukes and i believe it was last Monday we gave them thirty days to stand down and they brushed it off saying they dont respond well to intimidation. they are digging their own graves.

China gets quite a bit of their oil from Iran, getting them to be "reasonable" about all of this just ain't gonna happen. Also remember that Russia and China have the pipeline deal going on, Russia isn't about to lose out on that money.

I didn't know all that. But it is kind of the point I was making. Rather than watch out for the world in general (as was the original plan) they are only worrying about their own little slice of the pie and telling everyone else to get bent.

Marinerhodes said:
I didn't know all that. But it is kind of the point I was making. Rather than watch out for the world in general (as was the original plan) they are only worrying about their own little slice of the pie and telling everyone else to get bent.

Yeah, go figure a country doing that. :mrgreen:

I wish we'd do that more often.

PJ24 said:
Yeah, go figure a country doing that. :mrgreen:

I wish we'd do that more often.

That is one sure way to get people to hate you. Instead of fighting terrorism you are maintaining it... so you'll be fighting your own actions! I understands that he who wields the big stick gets his way, but children grow up and build a nuke.... You do the math.

Ted said:
That is one sure way to get people to hate you. Instead of fighting terrorism you are maintaining it... so you'll be fighting your own actions! I understands that he who wields the big stick gets his way, but children grow up and build a nuke.... You do the math.

I would if I understood what that paragraph even meant. <scratching head> I just woke up from a nap too, so that's not helping.

So who grows up with the big stick? China? Russia? The US? Someone else?

Last edited:
PJ24 said:
I would if I understood what that paragraph even meant. <scratching head> I just woke up from a nap too, so that's not helping.

So who grows up with the big stick? China? Russia? The US? Someone else?

I think it's one of them thar paradoxes.:confused:

Ted said:

That is a bit odd considering many in the world dislikes or hates the US as it is.

How many other countries contribute as much as the US does to foreign aid? How many other countries are as involved or willing to be as involved in world affairs as the US? How many other countries have the different programs in place to assist as many different foreign countries, either politically, militarily, or financially as the US?

It seems to me the US is more interested in "making the world go 'round" than the rest of the world is.

Like I said, many countries that can help, however much or little, are too caught up in self interest. Kind of like a child unwilling to share his toys because he is afraid someone else will get more pleasure out of them.

Just imagine for a moment if the US took a stance like that. Became an isolationist state and only concerned ourselves with what is good for us and screw the rest of the world.

I would if I understood what that paragraph even meant. <scratching head> I just woke up from a nap too, so that's not helping

What I meant is that the US has been wielding the stick for the last 150 years. (I referred to I believe Teddy R's Big Stick policy). The nations that accepted that have gronw up and have gotten more opportunities to do something about that. All children will have a rub off with their parents once in a while, only the stakes are higher.

How many other countries contribute as much as the US does to foreign aid?

Do you really think that the terrorists and insurgents care at all about how much aid the US gives. They are a group that doen't benefit from it anyway.

Like I said, many countries that can help, however much or little, are too caught up in self interest.

You know, just as I do, that the US will never lose it's own interests from sight. Sure, the US helps in many countries, but they also have many interests in these countries.

Ted said:
Do you really think that the terrorists and insurgents care at all about how much aid the US gives. They are a group that doen't benefit from it anyway.

Not sure where this plays into the conversation but ok I will accept that argument for what it's worth.

Ted said:
You know, just as I do, that the US will never lose it's own interests from sight. Sure, the US helps in many countries, but they also have many interests in these countries.

The US has alot of foreign interests to be sure. The point I was making is that the US doesn't look to just it's own interests. It looks to it's own interests and the interests of it's allies.

Again I will mention the aid given to countries or groups of people that can not really help the US on any meaningful level.

Back