UN Security Council not stepping up to the plate. . . ? - Page 2




 
--
Boots
 
April 6th, 2006  
PJ24
 
 
China gets quite a bit of their oil from Iran, getting them to be "reasonable" about all of this just ain't gonna happen. Also remember that Russia and China have the pipeline deal going on, Russia isn't about to lose out on that money.
April 6th, 2006  
Marinerhodes
 
 
I didn't know all that. But it is kind of the point I was making. Rather than watch out for the world in general (as was the original plan) they are only worrying about their own little slice of the pie and telling everyone else to get bent.
April 6th, 2006  
PJ24
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
I didn't know all that. But it is kind of the point I was making. Rather than watch out for the world in general (as was the original plan) they are only worrying about their own little slice of the pie and telling everyone else to get bent.
Yeah, go figure a country doing that.

I wish we'd do that more often.

--
Boots
April 6th, 2006  
Ted
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
Yeah, go figure a country doing that.

I wish we'd do that more often.
That is one sure way to get people to hate you. Instead of fighting terrorism you are maintaining it... so you'll be fighting your own actions! I understands that he who wields the big stick gets his way, but children grow up and build a nuke.... You do the math.
April 6th, 2006  
PJ24
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
That is one sure way to get people to hate you. Instead of fighting terrorism you are maintaining it... so you'll be fighting your own actions! I understands that he who wields the big stick gets his way, but children grow up and build a nuke.... You do the math.
I would if I understood what that paragraph even meant. <scratching head> I just woke up from a nap too, so that's not helping.

So who grows up with the big stick? China? Russia? The US? Someone else?
April 6th, 2006  
Missileer
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
I would if I understood what that paragraph even meant. <scratching head> I just woke up from a nap too, so that's not helping.

So who grows up with the big stick? China? Russia? The US? Someone else?
I think it's one of them thar paradoxes.
April 6th, 2006  
Marinerhodes
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
That is one sure way to get people to hate you. Instead of fighting terrorism you are maintaining it... so you'll be fighting your own actions! I understands that he who wields the big stick gets his way, but children grow up and build a nuke.... You do the math.
That is a bit odd considering many in the world dislikes or hates the US as it is.

How many other countries contribute as much as the US does to foreign aid? How many other countries are as involved or willing to be as involved in world affairs as the US? How many other countries have the different programs in place to assist as many different foreign countries, either politically, militarily, or financially as the US?

It seems to me the US is more interested in "making the world go 'round" than the rest of the world is.

Like I said, many countries that can help, however much or little, are too caught up in self interest. Kind of like a child unwilling to share his toys because he is afraid someone else will get more pleasure out of them.

Just imagine for a moment if the US took a stance like that. Became an isolationist state and only concerned ourselves with what is good for us and screw the rest of the world.
April 7th, 2006  
Ted
 
 
Quote:
I would if I understood what that paragraph even meant. <scratching head> I just woke up from a nap too, so that's not helping
.

What I meant is that the US has been wielding the stick for the last 150 years. (I referred to I believe Teddy R's Big Stick policy). The nations that accepted that have gronw up and have gotten more opportunities to do something about that. All children will have a rub off with their parents once in a while, only the stakes are higher.

Quote:
How many other countries contribute as much as the US does to foreign aid?
Do you really think that the terrorists and insurgents care at all about how much aid the US gives. They are a group that doen't benefit from it anyway.

Quote:
Like I said, many countries that can help, however much or little, are too caught up in self interest.

You know, just as I do, that the US will never lose it's own interests from sight. Sure, the US helps in many countries, but they also have many interests in these countries.

April 7th, 2006  
Chief Bones
 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I think it's one of them thar paradoxes.
Is that somtin like a flock of boyds??? heehee
April 8th, 2006  
Marinerhodes
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Do you really think that the terrorists and insurgents care at all about how much aid the US gives. They are a group that doen't benefit from it anyway.
Not sure where this plays into the conversation but ok I will accept that argument for what it's worth.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
You know, just as I do, that the US will never lose it's own interests from sight. Sure, the US helps in many countries, but they also have many interests in these countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
The US has alot of foreign interests to be sure. The point I was making is that the US doesn't look to just it's own interests. It looks to it's own interests and the interests of it's allies.

Again I will mention the aid given to countries or groups of people that can not really help the US on any meaningful level.