UN Peacekeeper Question...

Ezra77

Hi,i'm new to this site and wanted to ask a question about the military.Okay here goes,how does a soldier go about being a UN peacekeeper?The reason I ask this question is because I have always been interested in that part of the military.Back in the 90's in my high school days I was in the JROTC for all my four years in high school.It was then that I was starting to have some kind of interest in joining the military just to be a UN peacekeeper.And I have always loved the blue military uniforms they ware for some reason.And recently watching the movie Hotel Rwanda (which was a wonderful movie) hyped me up into asking this question that has always plagued me since my JROTC school days...Well any help with this question would be great.

What Are My Chances?

I have another question related to that same topic but I forgot to posted with my pervious question.My question is,let's say if I ever decide to join the army
what are my chances of serving as a UN peacekeeper?I mean I would probably join if my chances were high since I have always had some kind of interest in that UN peacekeeping stuff...So any help would be great.

It depends on what countries military you join. For instance, If you join the American Military your chances of being an actual U.N. Peacekeeper are slim. Not that it's a bad thing. Now if you were in the Canadian Military, you can count on wearing the Blue Beret at least a couple of times during your career. Same with a lot of the E.U. countries.

Oh well,I had my high hopes and everything but now I guess i'll just have to buy the hole UN uniform just to feel the blue... :( Can anyone tell me where I can buy UN beret's and stuff? I would like to start collecting UN things... :)

Military Surplus catalogs and stores are full of them for some odd reason. The one near me has Berets and Blue Kevlars.

Re: What Are My Chances?

Ezra77 said:
I have another question related to that same topic but I forgot to posted with my pervious question.My question is,let's say if I ever decide to join the army
what are my chances of serving as a UN peacekeeper?I mean I would probably join if my chances were high since I have always had some kind of interest in that UN peacekeeping stuff...So any help would be great.

I did some time with the UN in Cyprus with the Brit contingent on the green line. I can assure it was not a walk in the park. Greeks on one side, Turks on the other and you in your cute blue beret in the middle. Nobody loves you :)

Back