is the UN obsolete?

But to change that they have to vote for it and i think that some countrys don't want to lose there possibility of giving a veto and will veto against the vote

Jäger said:
But to change that they have to vote for it and i think that some countrys don't want to lose there possibility of giving a veto and will veto against the vote

I dont see that as a major obsticle most countries have seen the pointlessness of the GA essentially all power rests in the hands of the SC therefore you either have to decide whether:

A) You do away with the GA all together and leave the whole thing up to the SC and a few aid agencies.

B) You add weight to the GA and allow it to control the SC.

My personal view is option B
If the general assembly cant with a sizable majority vote rule over the Security Council then it really serves no purpose disband it and leave the whole process to the SC.

Seems as I understood something wrong, It's too long ago since I used my english knowledge to discuss political issues.
Generally I agree with you.

The USA will never give up their veto power, they still need it to block all those resolutions against Israel :) They have been doing that for decades now.

That may be true and I am not advocating that the veto power be removed but rather tempered by a majority vote whether it is 50%, 66% or 90% is somewhat irrelevant.
The unfortunate side effect of the veto power is that it gives those with it almost total control over UN activities which makes the position of the other nations seemingly pointless.

If you take the Iraqi fiasco and apply these rules then it would have been possible for the US/UK to get around the French veto threat with a specific majority in the GA and of course the same deal applies to those trying to censure Israel.

And basically if some nations believe they are above that then perhaps the UN isnt for them.

The Un has to bodies, the SC and the Ga, one of them is there for looks and one has the power. Care to take any guesses?

Dragonbone said:
The USA will never give up their veto power, they still need it to block all those resolutions against Israel :) They have been doing that for decades now.

:shock: I dont think you were supposed to say that.

I would have to say that the UN has supplied many great services to the world. It now is acting as an intermediary, the UN really has no power, but to provide a ground to connect the world. The UN should be given more power, considering they did not even try to stop the U.S, ironically the major supporter of the UN. I think that the UN could use more powers, and become more of a central goverment to the world. I do not think that the UN has been hurt by the US in this war, and that the UN still has many great political pulls.

Well they tried to stop america but we went on to war anyways, no International Body of the world represenetives will stop us. :D .

However the UN should be given a bit more funding for peacekeeping and humaniterian aid.

Well they tried to stop america but we went on to war anyways, no International Body of the world represenetives will stop us. .

Yeah, Uh, good work on the arrogance. Pride comes before a fall mate, remember that.

Back