is the UN obsolete? - Page 2

--
Boots

May 27th, 2005  
behemoth79

by helping 3rd world countries i meant helping feed and give them free medical care and educating them about AIDS and limitied families. They do a decent job in that. its the militarist and diplomatic sides that i believe have become useless. the UN is better off as a peace corps-like program that goes around feeding the hungry.
May 27th, 2005  
craig

Totally agree with you behemoth79 in regards to peace keeping and aid working but it is still avery expensive aid agency which in my opinion it has become. But once again if they Govnment of the country are not the issue then any aid agency can forfil this roll well eg world vision. But when the local Govnment is the issue and refuse help from the outside world they do nothing so my point and opinion whether it is right or wrong who knows is thatwhen military action is not required world vision or the like can suffice when it is required they tend to do nothing and will not repress or push out crooked govnments. If that is the case what is there real function?????
Surely unless they start prodocing results I believe the money could be spent better elsewhere.
But this is only my opinion and am in no way trashing yours but just participating in a friendly discussion. have a good day
May 27th, 2005  
A Can of Man

The UN is good at providing aid and organizing relief efforts and this is actually a very important thing. If the UN is ever disbanded, there isn't anyone around who will fill this void.
--
Boots
May 28th, 2005  
Darcia

The UN in general has never completed it's objectives. Though it may seem like it is obsolete the UN is still vital to the continuel level of peace we know have. However the UN will need to begin changing some of it's policeas if it is to last. For Example Japan and Germany should take two permanet seats on the UNSC and the GA should be given more power and not remain as a simple debating ground.
May 29th, 2005  
A Can of Man

The inclusion of Japan isn't as simple as you think.
If you did that, you'd piss off pretty much the whole Asia Pacific region.
May 30th, 2005  
Darcia

Yes I agree, Germany would be easir to get in thanks to the poltical power NATO and the EU has in the UN, Japan on the otherhand would be hard. Mostly due to China, and Russia would probably demand that India be allowed to join the UNSC. Though they have been trying to do that a while now.
May 30th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcia
Yes I agree, Germany would be easir to get in thanks to the poltical power NATO and the EU has in the UN, Japan on the otherhand would be hard. Mostly due to China, and Russia would probably demand that India be allowed to join the UNSC. Though they have been trying to do that a while now.
If we are looking at filling two seats then I would personally prefer it to be Germany and India as without some fairly major consessions on the part of Japan regarding WW2 I think there would be too many objections from Pacific nations.
May 31st, 2005  
Darcia

Nations must learn to let the past be the past. Sure History repeats itself but look. America used to have no interferance with the outside world besides the America's. Now we are the Police of the world. That happend in under 75 years.
June 6th, 2005  
Dragonbone

^Germany is going to have a ghard time getting into the UNSC seeing as both China and the USA have stated they are against it in recent articles. The whole UN needs to be reformed, the Vetos should be taken away and replaced with a majority voting system.
June 6th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonbone
^Germany is going to have a hard time getting into the UNSC seeing as both China and the USA have stated they are against it in recent articles. The whole UN needs to be reformed, the Vetos should be taken away and replaced with a majority voting system.
I certainly agree that when it comes to adding nations to the UNSC there should be no option to use veto it should be a simple majority vote from the GA.

To some degree I agree that the veto power needs to be controlled as it seems odd to me that the entire UNGA can agree to something but as long as one UNSC country disagrees then its stopped in its tracks.
My personal preference would be to allow a 2/3 majority vote in the GA to over ride a veto.