ULTRA armored patrol vehicle

sandy

ultra_armor.jpg

ultra-onr50.jpg

ultra-onr3.jpg

Survivability: This factor involves a vehicle’s ability to shield occupants from hostile action. The ULTRA AP will feature novel design concepts and research advances in lightweight and cost-effective armor to maximize capability and protection. The new armor was designed at GTRI in partnership with the Georgia Tech School of Materials Science and Engineering. The vehicle also incorporates a “blast bucket” designed to provide ballistic, blast and enhanced roll-over protection. New vehicle designs must incorporate dramatically increased resistance to explosions caused by mines and improvised explosive devices, Caille noted.Safety with Performance: The ULTRA design explored the use of on-board computers to integrate steering, suspension and brakes to provide an unparalleled level of mobility and safety, Caille added. The new vehicle’s integrated chassis represents an advancement over the most advanced
current production vehicles.
http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/newsrelease/ultra-ap.htm
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・Ultra?

that is an interesting looking vehicle. i guess if it works it is a good thing, but how many people can it hold?

Doesn't look very practical. Without knowing more than I do, I think KISS applies here.

Anyone have an update on this toy? I remember another post about it oh, maybe 6 months back but nothing came of it I don't think. As PJ said, things that look spiffy in pictures and on the drawing board of college clasrooms rarely prove up to that level in the field.

Too many protrusions etc. You'll probably lose these in a blast?????
Seems very over engineered............
And HOW many people does it carry???
If it is only a couple then what is the point???

It is very rare that I come in here with nothing but an off-the-cuff remark with nothing to back it up, but this time I will.
Dang! This thing is ugly with a capital U!!!!

I have one question. It seems to me that the multiple windows were designed to show facets rather than a flat face to an enemy shooter. If you shoot at it, chances are that you will hit something on an angle, and the shot will (hopefully) be deflected off. But the trade-off seems to be visibility. I am not sure that I would want to try to drive that thing. Seeing in any other direction but forwards seems somewhat.... problematic.

Dean.

Back