Ultimate weapon of mass destruction...

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
As we all know, the United States, the Russian Fedration, and the Republic of North Korea, are good examples, of world power with along the lines of mass devastation.

Whether along the lines of Nuclear destruction, or Atomic/Anthrax fuse weapons proposed by the U.S. in the 50s, or , last but not least, the germ, and boilogical weapons horded by some nations. Ones that can spread sickness in shocking little time periods.

But, amongest all this, there are elements that could be harnesed for the good of mankind , or the destuction of all civilaziton.

What I am talking about is the priciples of antimatter. And yes, it does exsist, and there is a monoply on it to.

"substance composed of subatomic particles that have the mass, electric charge, and magnetic moment of the electrons, protons, and neutrons of ordinary matter but for which the electric charge and magnetic moment are opposite in sign. The antimatter particles corresponding to electrons, protons, and neutrons are called positrons (e+), antiprotons (p), and antineutrons…"

Encyclopaedia Britannca

Offensive capablilities??

"Matter and antimatter are perfect opposites; for each of the basic particles of matter, there exists an antiparticle, in which properties such as the electric charge are reversed. The electron, for example, has negative charge, whilst its antiparticle, called the positron, has positive charge. Similarly the positively charged proton has a negatively charged antiparticle, the antiproton.
When matter and antimatter meet, they "annihilate" (mutually destroy), and their energy reappears as photons or other particle-antiparticle pairs.
Scientists believe that when the Universe originated, about 13.7 billion years ago, equal amounts of matter and antimatter were created. In today's Universe though, there is no antimatter around (beside the one produced in high energy collisions!). All of it seems to have disappeared, leaving scientists with one of the biggest puzzles yet to be solved: where did the antimatter go? why did the antimatter not completely annihilate the matter, leaving only energy (photons) in the Universe"

SPACE.com

Basiclly folks, a pound of this stuff could have enough energy to power all of the U.S. for two straight days.

Think about it, a reactor for anti matter could be a very good idea, or, a very power weapon.

I cant find any stastics, but, the yield for antimatter, would far surpass that off any exsisting weapon, and, with some elements unstable nature. It could be to dangerous to use in warfare.

We may be entering a new age.

Last edited:
I may be wrong and please correct me if I am.

I am of the understanding that it takes more energy to generate antimatter than what can be generated from it's decay. Other than that, to generate it we need huge cyclotrons or linear accelerators and also antimatter can't be stored.

To me it seems highly impractical, we would be better of using the energy in it's primary state.

Maybe in the future, if we can find some way to contain it, antimatter could be used for power generation or as a weapon. However, that probably won't happen until after mankind has colonized other planets. I don't even want to think of what might happen to the Earth if an anti-matter weapon was deployed on the surface. We might well get knocked off orbit.

I have days where I think that has happened now!!

The concept sounds great, but as you say, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

As we all know, the United States, the Russian Fedration, and the Republic of North Korea, are good examples, of world power with along the lines of mass devastation.

Whether along the lines of Nuclear destruction, or Atomic/Anthrax fuse weapons proposed by the U.S. in the 50s, or , last but not least, the germ, and boilogical weapons horded by some nations. Ones that can spread sickness in shocking little time periods.

But, amongest all this, there are elements that could be harnesed for the good of mankind , or the destuction of all civilaziton.

What I am talking about is the priciples of antimatter. And yes, it does exsist, and there is a monoply on it to.

"substance composed of subatomic particles that have the mass, electric charge, and magnetic moment of the electrons, protons, and neutrons of ordinary matter but for which the electric charge and magnetic moment are opposite in sign. The antimatter particles corresponding to electrons, protons, and neutrons are called positrons (e+), antiprotons (p), and antineutrons…"

Encyclopaedia Britannca

Offensive capablilities??

"Matter and antimatter are perfect opposites; for each of the basic particles of matter, there exists an antiparticle, in which properties such as the electric charge are reversed. The electron, for example, has negative charge, whilst its antiparticle, called the positron, has positive charge. Similarly the positively charged proton has a negatively charged antiparticle, the antiproton.
When matter and antimatter meet, they "annihilate" (mutually destroy), and their energy reappears as photons or other particle-antiparticle pairs.
Scientists believe that when the Universe originated, about 13.7 billion years ago, equal amounts of matter and antimatter were created. In today's Universe though, there is no antimatter around (beside the one produced in high energy collisions!). All of it seems to have disappeared, leaving scientists with one of the biggest puzzles yet to be solved: where did the antimatter go? why did the antimatter not completely annihilate the matter, leaving only energy (photons) in the Universe"

SPACE.com

Basiclly folks, a pound of this stuff could have enough energy to power all of the U.S. for two straight days.

Think about it, a reactor for anti matter could be a very good idea, or, a very power weapon.

I cant find any stastics, but, the yield for antimatter, would far surpass that off any exsisting weapon, and, with some elements unstable nature. It could be to dangerous to use in warfare.

We may be entering a new age.

You assume it could surpass any existing weapon. Remember the last time the US dropped any type of radiation weapons was 63 years ago, and that was a 15 KT (Kilo Ton) bomb, now we have 2 MT (Mega Ton) Missiles.

Any weapon with unstable matter is dangerous, why do you think spliting the atom is such a tedious task? One wrong move and 25 miles of earth have dissapeared, and nothing for the next 60,000 years will grow nor live there.

In my book something that can vaporize me before it detonates because of the mass ammounts of radiation and heat is enough. Man kind seems to have a plesure and desire to find weapons that not only will kill the enemy but everyone else.

I may be wrong and please correct me if I am.

I am of the understanding that it takes more energy to generate antimatter than what can be generated from it's decay. Other than that, to generate it we need huge cyclotrons or linear accelerators and also antimatter can't be stored.

To me it seems highly impractical, we would be better of using the energy in it's primary state.

Seno, you just hit the problem nail(s) on their proverbial head. The technology is just not there yet for production and control of antimatter. While there are more practical means of producing energy at a lower cost, they will be used and antimatter will just be an intriguing concept.

It will take a large amount of effort to develop any type of weapon off of it, but , there are accelerators in the U.S., one large accelerator , which has been proposed for years before it's building, is in Flordia I think.

And, after over 40 years of research, and development, they, have, well , about only 4 ounces of the stuff.

But, it must be constantly watched, the wrong contact of it,with perhaps, some positive "normal" matter.

But, perhaps, if you can harness that, then you can , well, bascilly enter a new age, and maybe have a new source of energy that can power the country, heck, the world!

There is a accelerator in Switzerland, and, well, it has a 27 mile long loop, that the particles run in the exact center of, at the same length apart, and complete the loop,in about 11,000 times per second.

And one small drop,if spilled here on earth, is equal to about 10 kilo tons.

It has a very volitale nature it seems.
But, even then, it must be handled very carfully...

Last edited:
This is still WAYS WAYS away. I don't think it's something we need to worry about for at least another two hundred years.

Yes, maybe, but, there still is no good answer to the eventual demise of Fossil Fuels, and the world's apetite and dependancy on them.

We will need to find a way that offers just as much energy as the Fossil Fuels created.

But, maybe your right, I dont think I would want to fill my car up with stuff that causes massive explosions lightyears away. The roads are dangorous enough.

But, this stuff has massive amounts of potential. It could be of some use.

Like, eventually, some off corse comet , or astroid, may hit earth in our time, if we could obliterate it millions of miles off in space before it reaches Earth, we would be saved.

I mean, if a comet or astroid , is made entirely of matter, then, through in a few lbs. anti matter into a rocket or missle somhow, and let them colide, that would be like a bright eclispe from billions of mile away on Earth , hopefully....

Yes, maybe, but, there still is no good answer to the eventual demise of Fossil Fuels, and the world's apetite and dependancy on them.

We will need to find a way that offers just as much energy as the Fossil Fuels created.

But, maybe your right, I dont think I would want to fill my car up with stuff that causes massive explosions lightyears away. The roads are dangorous enough.

But, this stuff has massive amounts of potential. It could be of some use.

Like, eventually, some off corse comet , or astroid, may hit earth in our time, if we could obliterate it millions of miles off in space before it reaches Earth, we would be saved.

I mean, if a comet or astroid , is made entirely of matter, then, through in a few lbs. anti matter into a rocket or missle somhow, and let them colide, that would be like a bright eclispe from billions of mile away on Earth , hopefully....
Sukio, what on earth (or elsewhere) are you talking about? You've gone from calling N. Korea a world power just because they have small nukes to a claim of a pound of antimatter (as if you could weigh antimatter) in some nebulous location in Florida to developing alternate energy sources for fossil based fuels to destroying asteroids and comets with "a few pounds of the stuff" (ha) and expoundoing upon the possible capabilities of some scifi antimatter weapon.
I really don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you and maybe it's only me but your train of thought seems scattered and confused. Perhaps you could consider focusing on one issue. Just pick one, any one please.
A. antimatter "reactors"
B. antimatter weapons
C. antimatter sources
D. the depletion of fossil based fuel sources
E. what can earth do to avoid collisions with rogue heavenly bodies
F. where in Florida is that antimatter stored
G. Does antimatter have massive potential or could it merely be of some use? (you've stated both)
H. etc.

Anti matter as in, a possiblility for a weapon, or in contrast, the potenital for creation of energy. I mean , this stuff has a lot of potential.

(then I guess I got sidetracked in the process)

And, I did not say North Korea was a world power, coventionaly.

But, along the terms of them holding biological, as well as chemical weapons, and , no matter which way you look at, are still a threat to any advancing or attacking army.

Listen, sorry to disrupt or skirt topic or anything, but, I dont mean to make anyone look bad or make any vile person or group look good. And, really, with the talk of anti matter as energy, I mean, you could power a whole campaign on the stuff. That would make it just as , or more effecient as fossil fuels, which are currently the main source of power today.
But, there is no way to contain it safely, thats the main obsticale.

And one more thing, did I do something wrong? If so please tell me, I dont want to disrupt the site or offend any one or something.:|

Last edited:
There was nothing offensive at all. I was trying to follow this thread and couldn't quite determine the specific subject. If you'd done anything wrong, I or one of the other mods would have been quite clear about that. Carry on folks.

Back