Ukrainian forces quit besieged town after rebel assault




 
--
Boots
 
February 19th, 2015  
News Manager
 

Topic: Ukrainian forces quit besieged town after rebel assault


By Gleb Garanich and Anton Zverev ARTEMIVSK/BULAVYNE, Ukraine (Reuters) - Ukraine pulled thousands of troops out of an encircled town on Wednesday after a massive assault by pro-Russian rebels, who ignored a new ceasefire to seize the strategic railway junction. The fall of the besieged town of Debaltseve was one of the worst defeats of the war for Ukraine's troops, who proved unable to stop an advance by Moscow-backed rebels fighting for territory the Kremlin calls "New Russia". President Petro Poroshenko told security chiefs on Wednesday night that six Ukrainian soldiers had been killed during the pullout from Debaltseve. Twenty-two Ukrainian soldiers had earlier been killed in the town in the past few days, the Ukrainian military high command said, with more than 150 wounded.




More...
 


Similar Topics
Ukrainian forces quit besieged town after rebel assault
Syria rebel chieftain killed; Assad forces bomb besieged town
Syrian forces kill 33 in attack on rebel town: residents (Reuters)
Libyan forces attack western town, rebel push in east (Reuters)
Civilians flee besieged western town where US forces