Ukrainian forces quit besieged town after rebel assault




 
--
Boots
 
February 18th, 2015  
News Manager
 

Topic: Ukrainian forces quit besieged town after rebel assault


By Gleb Garanich and Anton Zverev ARTEMIVSK/BULAVYNE, Ukraine (Reuters) - Government forces were pulling out of an encircled town in eastern Ukraine on Wednesday after a fierce assault by Russian-backed separatists which Kiev and Europe said violated a crumbling ceasefire. President Petro Poroshenko said more than 80 percent of his troops had left the rail hub following a heavy bombardment and street-by-street battles which he said showed "the true face of the bandits and separatists who are supported by Russia". The rebels say the ceasefire, negotiated by Ukraine, Russia, Germany and France at a summit in Belarus last week, does not apply to Debaltseve, which links the two rebel-controlled regions of eastern Ukraine, Donetsk and Luhansk.




More...
 


Similar Topics
Syria rebel chieftain killed; Assad forces bomb besieged town
Syrian forces kill 33 in attack on rebel town: residents (Reuters)
Libyan forces attack western town, rebel push in east (Reuters)
Civilians flee besieged western town where US forces
U.S.-Led Forces Tighten Grip on Iraq Rebel Town