(UK)Will police now shoot to kill? - Page 2

--
Boots

July 25th, 2005  
Missileer

I have news for you, in the US you can be shot for fleeing police if you were warned to stop.
July 25th, 2005  
Rabs

Yes, but rarely. This would be like 3 days after 9/11 someone spriting past the secruity check point in airport, i beleive the shooting tragic but justified.
August 5th, 2005  
clownfish

I agree. Sad but justified. The police havent had exposure to this sort of situation before (or for a long while anyway- since the IRA days) and mistakes will be made. In other countries, in similar sitauations, it has taken the security forces years to be able to efficiently (or as best as they can) deal with similar situations.
--
Boots
August 5th, 2005  
LeEnfield

The Met Police were always trained to shoot to kill, if some one is threat then they are still a threat when they are wounded, if you kill them then that threat is vastly reduced.
August 5th, 2005  
RnderSafe

It wasn't just the Met Police, the new SRR was also involved.

Quote:
aye thats exactly why he ran his visa was up. Bloody tony blair hasnt a notion
I'm not sure what Tony Blair has to do with the shooting, as he wasn't there. These lads made a judgement call - and having been in similiar situations, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same in their situation.
August 6th, 2005  
Young Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
God knows why he ran? If i had been in a similar circumstance to the police officer than i think i would of shot the guy to, he ran and leapt over trainthe barriers to the tube station and almost ran onto a tube train
You're joking aren't you?

I hope you don't have aspirations to be a policeman.
August 6th, 2005  
Irishone

Oh I completely agree that in the end its not the fault of the poor police man, he has to live with it and feel bad for the guy. He did make the right call at the time, the place was in uproar.
I just think everything could have been handled a lot differently and perhaps better. But this is the Uk's first time experiencing this kind of terrorism first hand, so it is going to a take a while to get up to the standards of other countries who deal with it everyday. So I guess they are doing all they can.
But I personally think its not going to get any better until threats are taken seriously. Which is what they are starting to do now...eventually
August 8th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Winston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
God knows why he ran? If i had been in a similar circumstance to the police officer than i think i would of shot the guy to, he ran and leapt over trainthe barriers to the tube station and almost ran onto a tube train
You're joking aren't you?

I hope you don't have aspirations to be a policeman.

Given the circumstances and the hieghtened security. His running is what got shot, coupled with the failure to stop when commanded to.

In that situation I would have probably engaged.

And I am a Cop.
August 18th, 2005  
LeEnfield

Irshone.......Like you chum we had enough years of this sort of thing from the IRA, and even they tried it out on the underground a couple of times. Also we had a number of truck bombs in the City Of London so I would not say that we are new to it all.
August 19th, 2005  
Irishone

If thats the case...why was it handled so badly?