UK rights envoy to Iraq "shocked" at US

--

April 30th, 2004  
BlackJack

Topic: UK rights envoy to Iraq "shocked" at US

British Prime Minister Tony Blair’s human rights envoy to Iraq said on Friday she was “shocked” at photographs showing US soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners in a Baghdad jail.

“I think they are absolutely terrible. I am shocked,” Ann Clwyd told BBC radio about the photographs shown on US television, some depicting grinning US troops posing with naked Iraqi prisoners in a variety of demeaning, sexual poses.

Ms Clwyd, a lawmaker from Mr Blair’s Labour Party who for many years campaigned over human rights under deposed dictator Saddam Hussein and backed the US-led war to remove him, said she had previously raised concerns with US officials about the treatment of prisoners at the Abu Gharib prison.

“I made the point that there must be answers, because I found it very difficult to get answers, and I was told by a very senior person there: ‘We don’t do this kind of thing’,” she said.

“Clearly the people in charge did not know this was going on.”

On Thursday a senior US military officer in Baghdad said that the general in charge of the US-run prison system in Iraq had been suspended after allegations of abuse meted out to detainees earlier this year.

Brigadier General Janis Karpinski was suspended in late January after six US soldiers were indicted for mistreating prisoners at the Abu Gharib prison, the officer said.

However Ms Clwyd said there was no comparison with how prisoners were treated under Saddam.

“A small number of cases, horrible though they are - you cannot compare that with the tens of thousands of people Saddam Hussein was responsible for executing and torturing,” she said.

Nonetheless, the pictures prompted distinctly negative coverage in some newspapers in Britain, Washington’s principal ally in the war and subsequent occupation of Iraq.

The right-wing Daily Mail splashed a picture of a hooded Iraq prisoner standing on a box with wires attached to his hands across its entire front page.

“We are losing their hearts and minds,” was the unequivocal headline of the paper’s main editorial comment.
April 30th, 2004  
Redneck

Place your topics in the correct forums, BlackJack. Military Discussions is for DISCUSSING topics, not jokes or news articles, unless backed with a position/argument of your own. Thank you.
April 30th, 2004  
RnderSafe

They're idiots for taking photos in the first place. At least the Brits were smart enough not to take photos of their "misgivings" over there.
--
April 30th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: ok

Id say that the emoticon dosent fit here Rndersafe.

Now, Blackjack, you do know that the people who did this were not a representative of the Americans...Trust me, the brits are no more and no less moral then the americans.
April 30th, 2004  
Redneck

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,118613,00.html

The Brits have had a problem with some of their own troops, as well.

Now the thing that should be most obvious to you, BlackJack, is that neither the United States military nor the British military are ignoring these actions, a proper and quick reaction to the situation has been made by both parties, and while I am not proud of the fact that such things happened, I am VERY proud to be part of a military which holds itself to a standard which will not abide behaviour like this. We are both professional militaries, and we require ALL of our service men and women to meet this standard.
April 30th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Id say that the emoticon dosent fit here Rndersafe.
I would say it fits quite well, but thank you, Sherman.
May 1st, 2004  
Jtf2

Topic: Every

every millitary have made mistakes some worst then others all have tortured if you like it or not but this time it was a bad idea...this war is way to covered by the media for such "mistakes"...
May 1st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: ok

Ok,

Quote:
every millitary have made mistakes some worst then others all have tortured if you like it or not but this time it was a bad idea...this war is way to covered by the media for such "mistakes"...

Listen, this is not a mistake by the US military....This is not a mistake at all. This is a crime commited by a few stupid SOBs who should pay.
May 1st, 2004  
Redneck

Exactly, and they WILL face the consequences of their actions.
May 1st, 2004  
Redleg

A new rather interesting event in Iraq has reached the press now..
And it was actually the Brits this time....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3675723.stm

This does again prove my point that if you gather a large enough amount of people, from any country, then there will ALWAYS be a percentage of a-holes there....