UK to Replace Trident

K9Dug

Gordon Brown (Chancellor of the Exchequer and favorite to be the next Prime Minister) , has stated in a speech the the UK will replace Trident.

Why? it will not be used without the approval of the US, it is not a deterrent to rogue states or Terrorists (if they do not take a telling from America will they listen to the UK)

After the butchering of the Army in the latest defence review, how can this be portrayed as cost effective?

i dont see any reason for this. UK and US almost always work side by side, and the next missle wont be any more of a deterrent than this one.

therise,,,,are you saying that Britain should not have a nuclear deterrent and should rely on America for it's defence

LeEnfield said:
therise,,,,are you saying that Britain should not have a nuclear deterrent and should rely on America for it's defence

we rely on them for helicopters and close air support so why not nukes?

Why dont you just go ahead and give us your military budget we'll decide how to spend it for you to :)

Rabs said:
Why dont you just go ahead and give us your military budget we'll decide how to spend it for you to :)

Thats the way it feels, besides you lot get 106,000 extra "special forces" troops out of a deal like that!!

K9dug....We use the Harrier for close air support, it's lucky that the Americans decided to sell it to us.

LeEnfield said:
K9dug....We use the Harrier for close air support, it's lucky that the Americans decided to sell it to us.

L E , don't know if i follow is Harrier not British? did we nopt sell it to the USMC?

Only ever saw UK fast air be ready to give UK ground forces CAS once, every other time it was some yank telling you "LOCSTAT??? Ghostrider 51 is not familar with that term!" Or "Please use English on these means" (Americans don't think Jockanese is a form of English!)

So the harrier was an American invention, I always thought it was british.

Rabs said:
So the harrier was an American invention, I always thought it was british.
The Harrier was indeed a British designed aircraft. If memory serves correctly, it was designed by Hawker-Siddely with a vectored thrust engine that was especially built for it by Rolls-Royce, the Pegasus. The first versions appeared for the British forces; one of them was an Air Force Version, and the other was the carrier-borne version, the Sea Harrier. The later Av-8B was the joint effort between the US (Marine Corps, IIRC) and the British government, and it resulted in the plane we see today.

Dean.

LeEnfield said:

no im saying you already have a deterrent. how would this new missile be anymore of a deterrent than the one its replacing?

Will the replacing ICBM be a European-designed one? (Trident is American, right?)

I just dont see any European companys willing to start produceing new ICBMs or the experience to do so.

Rabs said:
I just dont see any European companys willing to start produceing new ICBMs or the experience to do so.
Europe builds rockets that go into space. Surely an ICBM can't be that much harder? I think France has self-designed ICBMs and Italy experimented with them in the 60s.

Back