UK Nuclear - gone.

Del Boy

American firms now control the UK's nuclear weapons plant

Last updated at 2:56 PM on 19th December 2008
article-1098567-003D971F00000258-528_235x325.jpg
Opposition Liberal Democrat lawmaker Nick Harvey says the deal raises questions over the independence of Britain's nuclear deterrent

A government-owned nuclear group has sold its stake in the company that manages the U.K.'s atomic weapons research center, bringing the facility under the control of U.S. companies.
British Nuclear Fuels PLC has sold a one-third share in Britain's AWE Management Ltd. to Jacobs Engineering Group Inc, based in Pasadena, California.

AWE Management has a contract to operate the government-owned Atomic Weapons Establishment, which has facilities in Aldermaston and Burghfield until 2025.
The sale means that operations at the center, which makes and maintains warheads for Britain's nuclear missiles, is now under the control of U.S. companies.
Lockheed Martin Corp., the largest defense contractor in the U.S., and Britain's Serco Group PLC also own a third each of the facility.
The state-owned British Nuclear Fuels confirmed in a statement it had sold the stake.
In a separate statement, Jacobs said it would not disclose the terms of the deal.
Opposition lawmakers said the deal raised questions over the independence of Britain's nuclear deterrent.

Britain has one nuclear weapons system, based on Trident submarines. The current warheads are expected to remain in service until 2020, and the government has yet to announce a replacement.
'The whole argument used for Britain having a separate weapons establishment is that this is required by the nonproliferation treaty, as technology sharing is not allowed.
'We must therefore query the rationale of a U.S. company having a majority shareholding in AWE. How does this all square?' opposition Liberal Democrat lawmaker Nick Harvey said.
Opposition Conservative Party lawmaker Gerald Howarth demanded that Prime Minister Gordon Brown's government explain the deal to Parliament since 'the Atomic Weapons Establishment is critical to Britain's nuclear deterrent capability.'
Britain's defense ministry insisted the agreement protects U.K. interests and said it had worked with British Nuclear Fuels and the business ministry on the deal.

Dangerous position to be in, but no different having to rely on European companies to supply British forces with ammunition.

I seem to remember being howled down by a certain person a few months ago when I dared suggest that perhaps not everything that is good for the USA is necessarily good for the rest of the world.

It was suggested that my views were ungrateful to say the least.

I say, "What goes around, comes around"

The point of the article is the fact of the control leaving UK , I understand, not critical of US in any way.

I reckon that 'certain person' is as entrenched as ever in respect towards USA. I reckon he is not an ingrate, if he holds such views. I recall any 'howling' came from an altogether different direction.

Personally, USA is OK by me, I ain't a fair-weather friend, you see.

Last edited:
The point of the article is the fact of the control leaving UK , I understand, not critical of US in any way.

I reckon that 'certain person' is as entrenched as ever in respect towards USA. I reckon he is not an ingrate, if he holds such views. I recall any 'howling' came from an altogether different direction.

Personally, USA is OK by me, I ain't a fair-weather friend, you see.
Ahhh, that being the case, I'm really pleased for you, as your country loses control of it's vital war industries and you find that any new technology now belongs to someone else.

Your heading certainly doesn't sound like you were celebrating the event.

It's just that I've just always had some difficulty in understanding those who gladly watch, and agree with their country and it's independence being sold out from under them.

I'm really happy for you though! The UK is obviously now a better place.:bravo:

Well, looks like Spike was right. In a way we couldn't think of and probably didn't mean, but right nonetheless.

Ahhh, that being the case, I'm really pleased for you, as your country loses control of it's vital war industries and you find that any new technology now belongs to someone else.

Your heading certainly doesn't sound like you were celebrating the event.

It's just that I've just always had some difficulty in understanding those who gladly watch, and agree with their country and it's independence being sold out from under them.

I'm really happy for you though! The UK is obviously now a better place.:bravo:

I dealt with this nonsense in my last post. First you use it for your own purposes as being anti-American, which is just hopeful rubbish as I pointed out.

I have constantly complained on these boards about the selling down the river of my country's independence to all and sundry, so you ain't telling me anything. And I would certainly accept US interest in the nuclear facilities above any others.

My views on this are consistant (pro-American, anti the current British government ) , as is my contempt for your personal agendas. I will allow you no more of my time on this one, the article can stand on its own I am sure. I am sorry that , as you say, you have difficulties with some people I do not recognise; but then, you have difficulties I guess.

Last edited:
Any "agenda" is only between your ears. I just refuse to "brown nose" to any country who is buying up my country in penny lots.

As a person who has proudly fought alongside US troops, I think you'll find it hard to show any anti US agenda on my behalf. However, you may have a better chance of showing a distinct lack of pride, where you seem to place politics before the interests and security of your country.

But like I said, "I'm really happy for you". In fact I'm grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat.

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!...

Last edited:
This brings to mind a new question; are the billions of taxpayer currency spent for maintaining a nuclear arsenal really worth the deterrence factor? I mean, come on, who's going to launch a fully blown war (with nukes) against the UK or France?

If the entire reasoning to keep them while facing bankruptcy is "they have it, so we must too", then, first of all, who are they and how are they threatenning you? And secondly, with such a selfish nuclear policy, how are you going to convince countries like Iran not to develop their own nukes?

Oh, I have a long stick, but I'm not going to allow you to have one. And I'll keep mine just in case you might somehow acquire a long stick of your own, and threaten to attack me with it.

What the hell is that? What makes you so special?

This brings to mind a new question; are the billions of taxpayer currency spent for maintaining a nuclear arsenal really worth the deterrence factor? I mean, come on, who's going to launch a fully blown war (with nukes) against the UK or France?
I'd watch our for those Icelanders, they are very protective of their Cod stocks, and without "Fish and Chips" the UK would have little worth fighting for.

Matter of a fact I'd go all out, for a good feed of fish right now. Mmmmmm , with plenty of salt and malt vinegar.

Well, if the EU wants to be its own major power independent of the US, it would require its own nukes.
If it got rid of it, it would depend on the Americans for the nuclear coverage.
An unfortunate reality I suppose.

it would depend on the Americans for the nuclear coverage
Don't they already? I think a nuclear arsenal without the proper radar coverage & anti-ballistic missile defense capability means very little. Russia has rarely protested European nukes, but they've been highly critical of the US radar in Poland, Czech Rep. and the missile defense network that's being implemented.

If they have their own, then they have an alternative.
Actually their own nuclear fleet means they DON'T need the proper radar coverage and anti-ballistic capability.

Any "agenda" is only between your ears. I just refuse to "brown nose" to any country who is buying up my country in penny lots.

As a person who has proudly fought alongside US troops, I think you'll find it hard to show any anti US agenda on my behalf. However, you may have a better chance of showing a distinct lack of pride, where you seem to place politics before the interests and security of your country.

But like I said, "I'm really happy for you". In fact I'm grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat.

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!...

Cut iout this b/s. You are arguing with yourself and talking c*** all at the same time. As I said, I am not interested in your personal agendas, and who you brown-nose and who you don't ; I am not interested in your prejudices, one way or the other. I don't care whether you love America or not. And your usual bluster is not only nonsense but wasted; you will never understand me in a million years, don't waste your time.

Apart from that - Happy New Year.

When a nations defence, secuity and military equipment procurement is put into the hands of a foreign power, albeit friendlies, thats one hell of a dangerous situation to be in. Exactly like when Belgium refused to supply Britain with certain types of ammunition during the Falklands War.

Cut iout this b/s. You are arguing with yourself and talking c*** all at the same time. As I said, I am not interested in your personal agendas, and who you brown-nose and who you don't ; I am not interested in your prejudices, one way or the other. I don't care whether you love America or not. And your usual bluster is not only nonsense but wasted; you will never understand me in a million years, don't waste your time.

Apart from that - Happy New Year.
Read the post above from an expatriate Brit. DelBoy you are so far up the collective American fundamental orifice that you can't see what is being done to your own country. Sure USA is a great ally, but what happens in a situation when your political agenda disagrees with that of the party in power in the USA similar to the Belgian refusal quoted above.

You do not place the your vital war industries, under the control of a foreign power. It's not "bluster" or "crap", just common sense.

Come the time should you need your nuclear power and expertise you will find that it belongs to someone else.

"A Safe, Happy and Prosperous New Year to You and Yours"

Read the post above from an expatriate Brit. DelBoy you are so far up the collective American fundamental orifice that you can't see what is being done to your own country. Sure USA is a great ally, but what happens in a situation when your political agenda disagrees with that of the party in power in the USA similar to the Belgian refusal quoted above.

The Suez crisis in 1956 also springs to mind when the US demanded that Britain, France and Israel withdraw from the canal zone.

Last edited:
The Suez crisis in 1956 also springs to mind when the US demanded that Britain, France and Israel withdraw from the canal zone.
Some persons conveniently overlook these little indiscretions, but I have a suspicious mind and a long memory. Other more short sighted persons are more willing to overlook the truth so long as it suits their present needs.

Having good Allies is great, but you don't sell out your own country to keep them.

Last edited:

You do not place the your vital war industries, under the control of a foreign power. It's not "bluster" or "crap", just common sense.

Come the time should you need your nuclear power and expertise you will find that it belongs to someone else.

"A Safe, Happy and Prosperous New Year to You and Yours"

Firstly - as far as your off-topic personal ridiculous crap is concerned, I repeat my last post. Please keep your anti-American prejudices to your self, they are off-topic here. The fault lies absolutely with our traiterous Government. They sell us down the road to the EU on a daily basis, we are heading for world status in many ways. I have pointed this out since I have been on these boards.

Secondly - as far as your on-topic pronouncements are concerned - try telling us something we don't know. I do not need you to make my case for me, it is obvious that I am my government's biggest critic here; for selling my country down the river on all points and in every direction. Today they demanded to be allowed to take in the prisoners of Gitmo, regardless of nationality; these guys cannot be charged here and without charge must be released; this is only the latest imposition on our people, from an unelected Prime Minister who will not call an election, and has renaged on an important constitutional referendum, promised in the manifesto of his party to win the last election held.

Last edited:
Firstly - as far as your off-topic personal ridiculous crap is concerned, I repeat my last post. Please keep your anti-American prejudices to your self, they are off-topic here. The fault lies absolutely with our traiterous Government.

Secondly - as far as your on-topic pronouncements are concerned - try telling us something we don't know. I do not need you to make my case for me, it is obvious that I am my government's biggest critic here; for selling my country down the river on all points and in every direction. Today they demanded to be allowed to take in the prisoners of Gitmo, regardless of nationality; these guys cannot be charged here and without charge must be released; this is only the latest imposition on our people, from an unelected Prime Minister who will not call an election, and has renaged on an important constitutional referendum, promised in the manifesto of his party to win the last election held.
You keep dribbling on about being Anti American, whereas the truth is merely that you are too thick to realise constructive criticism when you see it. It's the old name calling , Racist, Homophobe, fear mongering because you know I'm right. Either that or you are blind.

But as I said earlier, Enjoy. It realy doesn't make a fig of difference to me if you become the next US State.

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy.

Back