UK: Mayor tells regiment rifles "too violent" for day of remembrance

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ent/article.do
Your guns are 'too violent' for Remembrance Day, mayor tells rifle regiment

Chepstow's Remembrance Day parade

Heroes: Chepstow's Remembrance Day parade

Napoleon tried, as did many others.

They all discovered that the riflemen of the British Army do not lay down their arms easily - if at all.

Nonetheless, Hilary Beach decided to call for 1Bn The Rifles to leave their weapons behind at tomorrow's Remembrance Day parade because she feels they are too "violent".

Miss Beach, the Labour mayor of Chepstow in Monmouthshire, said: "I would prefer for there not be any guns at the parade - and raised it because it is an issue I personally feel very strongly about.

"I am very much against guns and think they are awful things. Killing in any war is awful and I am against this violence.

"But I want to make it clear that I hold Remembrance Day as extremely important and it is vital that members of the Armed Forces are in attendance.

"I have always thought about Remembrance Day as a time for peace and to remember those who have lost their lives in combat. However, I think this could be done better without any guns.

"Everybody is worried about the rise in gun crime and violence in this country at the moment, and the destruction these weapons cause is terrible."

If only Miss Beach had boned up on her military history. The Rifles might only have come into being in February this year, but the illustrious history of the four regiments which were merged to create it would have indicated the magnitude of what she was asking.

The Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry, the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry, the Light Infantry and the Royal Green Jackets all embraced the concept of the rifleman as laid down by General Sir John Moore, the tragic hero of the retreat to Corunna in the Peninsula War.

Miss Beach's plea to the council fell on deaf ears.

Ned Heywood, a former mayor, made one of the opposing speeches.

Memorial: Baroness Thatcher at a Remembrance service in London yesterday

He said: "Miss Beach is a pacifist and felt unhappy about the Rifles marching with guns through the town. But she received absolutely no support.

"Members of all parties all feel that this is a time to support our armed forces.

"We need them and they do an impossibly difficult job, laying down their lives for the rest of us. I felt this would be undermining them. But it was all very civilised, and Miss Beach accepted the views of the majority."

Phylip Hobson, a fellow councillor, added: "The war veterans have brought guns to the cenotaph since 1918 - guns have always played a part in Remembrance Day.

"We are all very excited about seeing the Rifles in full dress and giving them a warm welcome."

The Rifles - who have only been stationed at Beachley Barracks in Chepstow since August - were not contacted about the discussion and will march with their weapons as planned.

The Royal British Legion said the troops would feel "naked" without their guns.

Remembrance

Banned: Cannons to mark the two minute silence have been banned in Sutton

Tom King, president of its Chepstow branch, said: "What she said is ridiculous. It is nonsense.

"The regiment is called The Rifles, and rifles are an important part of their uniform and their kit. It's like asking a tank regiment to march past on parade without their tanks. She just doesn't understand this."

Tim Merritt, the legion's Gloucestershire manager, added: "Traditionally, our serving soldiers on parade tend to carry arms and I see no good reason why they should not be allowed to."

• A Remembrance Sunday cannon salute at the start and end of the twominute 11am silence has been banned.

The cannon, known as a maroon, used to be fired by the Parks Police service in Sutton, Surrey. But its replacement by a "Safer Parks Team" - a sergeant, two constables and three police community support officers - has led to is being banned because of health and safety fears.

FURY ON THE FELLS

Poppy wreaths have been banned from the 3,000ft summit of Great Gable in the Lake District. For almost 90 years, a mountain-top service has been held there on Remembrance Sunday.

But a dispute broke out this year after the poppy ban by the Lake District Fell and Rock Climbing Club.

Club secretary Paul Exley said: "In the past, members have climbed the mountain and have removed several large rucksacks full of disintegrated, soggy poppy waste.

"This isn't an easy task as the weather is usually awful in late November."

Protesters plan to flout the ban tomorrow - and insist they will clean up after themselves. One of them, Guy Newbold, said: "People laid down their lives in order to protect our freedom from precisely this kind of interference. We intend to lay our wreaths and remember their sacrifices."

(Comments block at the bottom of the page)

You can see our people have to put up with these nonsensical air-head politicians.

The four regiments concerned have been famous fighters all over the world, and have involved 3 generations of my wife's family as senior NCO's etc. They include the Glorious Gloucesters of Korea fame.

As a proud colonial subject of Britain I have to say I'm sorry things have got that way back in old dart. They're nowhere near that silly here. Such a shame, and a terrible insult to the heritage of the regiment.

Aussie Nick - this is why 200,000 good guys are leaving here every year, a lot of them heading your way. Your stance is very appreciated politically. Unfortunately we have at least 500,000 coming IN every year, the majority not good guys I believe! And they ain't coming in because they like us! However, mate, we are still alive and kicking, believe me. We are, however, paying a very big price for being far too tolerant of those who are not our friends.

Maybe you should move too. Australia will be the new Britain.
F it.
Let the Al Qaeda win.

Last edited:
This is a train of thought these days. The Aussie model is admired. But Iam hopeful that the worm will turn and kick this nonsense into touch. That is why i try to make a noise. As for me - well, I guess I'm too old, have a lot of exciting grandchildren around me, their music and sport activities keep me moving; I still want to make my contribution and I have a big mouth. I have travelled widely, and if I had moved earlier, USA would have attracted me, I believe; somewhere like Virginia. I love Charleston but it's too darn hot! Give me history, romance and honour. Give me liberty or give me death ( Patrick Henry)!
OK that's it - getting carried away here!

Every place got its flaws but I think the UK's getting raped big time. Political correctness' first complete casualty perhaps?

NEVER :viking:

First Fatism - now UKism, what happened to myth of liberal tolerance in Kiwi-land. Of course, it was complete BS in the first place, encouraged by being so sheltered from anything likely liable to invite prejudice.

They are no more or less susceptible to prejudice than the rest of us, are they?? He-he!

Now then down to serious business again - Having removed England from official UK forms long ago, the Labour government is now removing all trace of the titles 'Husband', 'Wife' and 'Spouse', and replacing them with 'Partner'.

Where does that leave me - I'm without doubt English and a husband with a wife . I'll tell you where it will leave me - foul of the law!

My ex business Partner would be most offended.

This year Government departments send greeting cards to commemorate Dilwhali and all other religious events, EXCEPT Christian, which they claim would offend others.

If you want some:horsie: come and get it - for crying out loud- Babylon! * My take on this - please see post 38, Favourite Military Poem thread.

Last edited:
First Fatism - now UKism, what happened to myth of liberal tolerance in Kiwi-land. Of course, it was complete BS in the first place, encouraged by being so sheltered from anything likely liable to invite prejudice.

Not at all, the liberal tolerance of Kiwi's still exists and we don't want to ruin it by taking in people too intolerant to sort out their own mess.

So I will support Infern0's and say... Never!... as well.

Just another pair of ol' selective hypocrites after all, then?? Don't want any fat folks, don't want any from any country you have prejudice against ?? Well, well, well what a different story we have here, on the first bend. As for intolerance, Britain is actually the most tolerant country in the world, which explains our difficulties as the highest populated country. We don't turn away folk just for being fat or unwell, we take in and treat folk with Aids etc. So no lectures re. tolerance from any living in glass houses, please.

Oh, and as for NEVER, you might wait until you are asked. The girls might have attracted me once - but I would have stalled at being bored witless. So that places me with Inferno also. NEVER, thank you.

Last edited:
Just another pair of ol' selective hypocrites after all, then?? Don't want any fat folks, don't want any from any country you have prejudice against ?? Well, well, well what a different story we have here, on the first bend. As for intolerance, Britain is actually the most tolerant country in the world, which explains our difficulties as the highest populated country. We don't turn away folk just for being fat or unwell, we take in and treat folk with Aids etc. So no lectures re. tolerance from any living in glass houses, please.

I am happy to have English immigrants hell I am happy to have any immigrants and they can even be fat or skinny but I would prefer that they be people coming here because they want to and have something to offer the country rather than because they have screwed up their own country and are looking for another to start work on.

So I say with all my liberal Kiwi attitude stay at home and fix your own mess.

Oh, and as for NEVER, you might wait until you are asked. The girls might have attracted me once - but I would have stalled at being bored witless. So that places me with Inferno also. NEVER, thank you.

I am not sure why you need to be so angry about this as we have a common ground, you don't want to come and we don't want you its a perfect match not an easy thing to achieve on the political stage.

However to return to the topic, I think this is a somewhat ludicrous request (kind of like banning the cars from F1 because they are noisy and detract from the racing) from the mayor that fortunately was ignored by those concerned.

Last edited:
Such a shame about the immigration issues the UK is suffering. It is slowly denigrating the image of England and the greater UK. As for our immigration policy.... yes it is harsh but damn it, it works. You come here illegally and you will be locked in a detention centre until it can be proven you are a legitimate refugee.... Any fishy business or not a real refugee then you've just got yourself a one way ticket home courtesy of the Australian government.

As for other migrants, you need to have something to offer... a skill, profesion or trade ideally. Or join the Military.

I? I am satifisfied with the idea of staying in the U.S., so I can police the world!:rambo:

Jk....;-)

"I am happy to have English immigrants hell I am happy to have any immigrants and they can even be fat or skinny but I would prefer that they be people coming here because they want to and have something to offer the country rather than because they have screwed up their own country and are looking for another to start work on.

So I say with all my liberal Kiwi attitude stay at home and fix your own mess.

I am not sure why you need to be so angry about this as we have a common ground, you don't want to come and we don't want you its a perfect match not an easy thing to achieve on the political stage.

However to return to the topic, I think this is a somewhat ludicrous request (kind of like banning the cars from F1 because they are noisy and detract from the racing) from the mayor that fortunately was ignored by those concerned.
"

Right. First - why do you accuse those who apply to join New Zealand from Britain of screwing up their own country? Your prejudices showing again! A disgusting and intolerant view of immigrants. Just as I suggested. Welcome to New Zealand - Er,no - not if you are fat - not if you are British - not if you you come from anywhere 'screwed up' - not if you might get ill - not if you are in need- not if you come from a country in need. Nice useful kind of long-term tourists can apply. (No religious preferred.) There you go, the MontyB tolerance show.

I see you have conveniently circumvented my quote on 'Fatism'; but then you would, just as you have declined to comment on my references to tolerance , regarding ailments bringing rejection of applications to New Zealand. Your country, as i suggested, certainly is concerned regarding fatness, which can make applicants rejects; your country and yourself are at odds on this point, it seems.

Furthermore, surely it is obvious that I am indeed staying here to help my countrymen and am therefore in no need whatsoever of your idiotic 'advice'.

What on earth gave you the ludicrous idea that I was angry, in any way, on any aspect of my posts on this thread - do you not recognise the 'happy' icon or does ignoring it suit your case? Try to think of me as, say, The Laughing Cavalier. Yes, that's it.

As far as not wanting me - you have delusions of grandeur, speaking for your country with your royal 'we'. Sorry, I failed to realise that you are now Foreign Secretary - or perhaps you were you referring to you and your cat.
In fact your claim is obviously complete rubbish because I NEVER did apply and therefore the outcome will remain unknown (good fact there) ; I am sure that New Zealand would have been delighted to have me, but never mind, your loss has been England's gain. So you are wrong , in that you and I do not have a match; but you are absolutely right in saying that I NEVER wanted to apply; like Julius Caesar, I came, I saw, I went home.

Well, for you, 1 out of 2 ain't bad, I guess.

(Regarding your 'returning to the topic'; I am trying to get a translation from somewhere; if ever I succeed, I will attempt to respond.)

N.B. I am still smiling. ..........still smiling .....st...

Last edited:
Back