UK: Mayor tells regiment rifles "too violent" for day of remembrance - Page 4

--
Boots

November 26th, 2007  
A Can of Man

Yeah, I know you can do that if you're commonwealth. But not if you're a complete foreigner.
I'm not entirely familiar but it seemed (from a lengthy conversation with a South African guy in England) that you have rights similar to citizens except you can't vote.
December 1st, 2007  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Yeah, I know you can do that if you're commonwealth. But not if you're a complete foreigner.
I'm not entirely familiar but it seemed (from a lengthy conversation with a South African guy in England) that you have rights similar to citizens except you can't vote.
That is permenant residency, and on average you are a permenant resident for 2 years before you are offered citizenship. You can't vote unless you are a citizen... but you can serve in the armed forces.

And permenant residency is open to anybody who has something to offer basically. Country of origin doesn't matter. But it helps speed things up a lot if you are from the Commonwealth.
December 1st, 2007  
Del Boy

At least Australia seems to have proper attitudes and agendas. We have become a complete dust-bin for users, without the political will to get a grip of the situation. We do feel betrayed by the labour government of the past 10 years. Blair has now been listed as the worst premier ever, certainly since Lord North, the alleged nincompoop who lost America for us!
--
Boots