UK: Fire Extinguishers Deemed Fire Hazard

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Coming soon to a government near you.

Fire extinguishers could be removed from communal areas in flats throughout the country because they are a safety hazard, it has emerged.

Typical of the Brits.

Did all the smart people leave the UK or something? Or is this just a logical extension to the gun ban?

Teaching people that it's better to run and let the government help you, than to grab a fire extinguisher and put out that curtain fire yourself.

If they are worried about people not knowing how to use it, how about TRAINING?

But once again... The UK has shown us what a Government does to it's citizenry when it's citizenry have no rights or any means to defend their rights. The State will just come in and take awa your fire extinguishers. But the Brits already are used to this... the State came in and took their guns, their rights, etc.. Hell, there are over 1,000 reasons for the State to enter British homes.

ExtinguisherBNPS_175x125.jpg

California's is next isn't it?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Everyone has their silly laws, but most of those were passed a few years ago... Not recently! That's ridiculous... There certainly is a difference between helpful government and controlling government.....

It may the the litigation culture creeping in which is to blame here. If a building complies with the regulations there is little incentive to do anything else that could raise a lawsuit. Perhaps a compromise here would be to ensure everyone in the building was given some sort of basic training even if it is just a video. There are some people stupid enough to spray water on burning cooking oil or gasoline, although I suppose the use of powder is more universally effective for a wider range of fires. I have also seen some attempts to put out fires makes matters worse by simply blowing more air into it. From what I recall you have to crouch low in some cases to avoid the flame flashing back.

Unfortunately in the UK, possibly Europe generally the extinguishers are not well labelled, they all are red with a coloured band indicating the type. In a panic I guess someone could easily pick up the wrong one.

http://www.seton.co.uk/images/en_UK/productsgroup/FRE211B.gif

Coming soon to a government near you.

Typical of the Brits.

Did all the smart people leave the UK or something? Or is this just a logical extension to the gun ban?

But once again... The UK has shown us what a Government does to it's citizenry when it's citizenry have no rights or any means to defend their rights. The State will just come in and take awa your fire extinguishers. But the Brits already are used to this... the State came in and took their guns, their rights, etc.. Hell, there are over 1,000 reasons for the State to enter British homes.

I clearly remember a debate in Parliament regarding the ease of converting semi auto firearms to full auto just after the Hungerford shootings. One bright spark stood up and commented, “If anyone has the knowledge and equipment to commit an offence, they should be deemed guilty of that offence.”

Then it was pointed out to the honourable gentleman, “If thats the case, every male in the kingdom shall be prosecuted for rape.”

The honourable gentleman's response, “AH...............OK.”

Classic BritinAfrica... classic.
Making new and confusing laws is basically what these people do for a living. What else do you expect?

Like saying homosexuality is an OK lifestyle... How dare they! ;)

OK, hypothetical here... Buildings on fire... 100 people inside... 10 of those 100 people know/can figure out how to use a fire extinguisher... WITH fire extinguishers, people are saved... Without... All die... Gonna keep the extinguishers, or throw em out?

Yep but if I said the same thing, you'd be going on the defensive talking about what a great hazard fire extinguishers are indeed!

What's with the sarcasm? It's true. You have this one side you "belong to" even if you say you're not one of them because they like their sandwich with cheese whereas you don't like cheese so you leave it out every time.
You stick to it, feverishly, afraid of being ever caught out or called "wrong" and if someone you think is somewhat on your side says one thing you go "Yeah that's about right!" and someone you think is not on your side says the same thing and you go, "hang on a minute..."

Like saying homosexuality is an OK lifestyle... How dare they! ;)

OK, hypothetical here... Buildings on fire... 100 people inside... 10 of those 100 people know/can figure out how to use a fire extinguisher... WITH fire extinguishers, people are saved... Without... All die... Gonna keep the extinguishers, or throw em out?

Thinking about this further (as a novice having never used a fire extinguisher) I wonder how many more people would have been saved by using the small fire extinguishers you see hanging around in corridors rather than if they simply walked away from the fire? Statistics might suggest the best policy is avoidance. Once a fire gets to the point you are trapped by it I guess they are quite useless.

Perhaps the only point of small extinguishers is to prevent a small fire becoming a large one and therefore saving property, but in tacking the blaze you risk injury or death from the fire due to flash and smoke.

Thinking about this further (as a novice having never used a fire extinguisher) I wonder how many more people would have been saved by using the small fire extinguishers you see hanging around in corridors rather than if they simply walked away from the fire? Statistics might suggest the best policy is avoidance. Once a fire gets to the point you are trapped by it I guess they are quite useless.

Perhaps the only point of small extinguishers is to prevent a small fire becoming a large one and therefore saving property, but in tacking the blaze you risk injury or death from the fire due to flash and smoke.

I've used a fire extinguisher three times in my life. Two were for car fires and one was for a large fire in a wooden area.

I have no practical training in the use of a fire extinguisher. I simply use it the same way that I use a machine gun. Small controlled bursts. With that tactic I was able to put out both car fires. The large fire in the wooden area was put out through different means but we I the fire extinguisher as a safety device in case either myself or someone elses clothing caught fire.

Using a fire extinguisher isn't rocket science. It's a frakking fire extinguisher. If you have a small fire extinguisher and a entire apartment complex is on fire. Leave. If you have a small fire in a apartment complex like a trash can or maybe a small electrical fire started and it's only a bed or curtains. Use the bloody fire extinguisher.

Like I said.... it's not rocket science. This isn't about what people can and can't do. This is once again the State dictating to people what they can and can't do. The British Government has become one of the largest Big Brother type governments in the 21st century.

Cameras watching your every move. Over 1000 reasons why the police can search and enter your home without a warrant or court order, a complete disarmament of the populace, a legal system in which you have no rights due to "common law" (if it's not on the books but is morally wrong you can still be charged with a crime).

Sorry but this isn't about fire extinguisher. This is about control and the State forcing the populace to rely on the State's actions and resources.

I do have to agree with Luis... This isn't just about a fire extinguisher... But you're right, once a fire gets to "that point" it's probably no good to have your little kitchen extinguisher, unless you're blazing a path to the emergency exit...

If you've got a problem with me or my arguments, please feel free to PM me. I'd LOVE to enlighten you on my views as an individual, but as it were, I'd back the hell off the personal attacks and keep to the topic.

What are you going to do? Punch me through the screen?

Well the whole purpose of it is to either stop the fire in it's early stages (where it is most effective) or to clear a path so you can get to the nearest exit if it is blocked by fire (not as effective but sure beats running through lots of fire). If you see a garbage can suddenly on fire, you'll want a fire extinguisher. With a little inginuity you can use it as a personal defense weapon as well. Won't win you the fight but it can buy you a precious few seconds.

Last edited:
Back