UK considers not purchasing JSF's

memoryex

well looks like the yanks dont want the business. They refuse to transfer the tech required to repair the plane and it looks like they could refuse the codes to allow the use of these planes when the pentagon doesnt want them used. Way to go. Personally if they cant trust us to keep to the terms then they cant trust anyone. Looks like we'll go for the marine rafale.

Does this mean that any country that does buy the aircraft can find their entire JSF fleet grounded because some American bigwig flipped some switch :eek:?

I dont know mohmar but that would be awesome lol.

Especially if we did it with-out them knowing it.

England has remained a steadfast ally of America for many many years and they have one of the most impressive millitaries in the world. There is no reason not to let them have full access to the JSF.

memoryex said:
well looks like the yanks dont want the business. They refuse to transfer the tech required to repair the plane and it looks like they could refuse the codes to allow the use of these planes when the pentagon doesnt want them used. Way to go. Personally if they cant trust us to keep to the terms then they cant trust anyone. Looks like we'll go for the marine rafale.

got an official link to this?

Hmm, the link provided states that most Americans don't know about this problem. Judging by how this was written, most Brits don't know about this problem either.

Well, as part of the new aircraft carrier-centred "big ship" naval upgrade, the JSF is one of Britain's key defense projects (the others being the FRES rapid deployment armored vehicles and the replacement of the strategic nuclear deterrent). All of these have a substantial American component, and for Britain to pull out of one for ITAR reasons, it has to raise questions regarding the other projects.

I think there is real tension between Britain's economic alignment with the European Union countries, vs. its military alignment with the UKUSA countries (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand).

If the Americans unreasonably limit access to weapons systems, the UK will necessarily purchase them from its European allies. I'd suggest that this would have the outcome of strengthening European military capability, while diminishing American influence over British foreign and military policy.

Let's hope the US Congress comes to its senses

(edit:shortened)

Last edited:
We have poured about 5 billion pounds into R & D for this plane, but problem is that America wants to Service all our planes as they feel that we are not trust worthy to do our selfs, they seem to think we might sell a few to Bin Laden

What is the sticking point Enfield? Do we not want the English to know the secrets to the stealth or is it the electronics or what?

I mean, we can't be all up in arms about only letting Americans wipe down the cockpit glass and spitshine the tire rims.

From what I can make out they are worried that we might learn to much from the plane even though we have supplied the engine and the the new lift technology. They are fussing over all sorts of electronic things and it is not as if we can't develop our own if push came to shove. I think it is all rather daft as both countries have been working side by side on the aircraft and we probably know every thing about it any way. Know doubt it is some one trying to make a name for them self's in politics in the States.

But I mean, do we know exactly WHAT technitians they want to remain American? I think it's stupid either way but what I'm saying is I'm sure they arn't saying for the ENTIRE ground crew to be American... so exactly what crew positions is the Pentagon worried about handing over and what equipment do they prize so highly? I'll say again I think it's stupid I just want to hear their side of it.

All major military projects like the JSF are dependant on exports to make a good profit; I think we Americans are going to have to compromise. I understand that we want to keep the secrets of stealth and etc. to ourselves, but if we can't get export orders, it could doom the JSF even for America.

If there is anyone we should be able to give our finest equipment to and trust them not to sell it to the chinese or pakis or someone it has to be the Brits, if we were talking about the taiwanese or something I might understand there demands. However, the sheer fact that Great Britian has stuck with us for so long in Iraq just shows how loyal of an ally they are.

Additional report on this subject. It turns out that the British defence secretary has had discussions on the issue with his French counterpart. This issue was raised with Adam Ingram, the Armed Forces minister in the House of Commons yesterday, who refused to discuss his "plan B".

I have heard rumors that the "Plan B" would involove the purchasing of the Navalized Version of the Eurofighter Typhoon.

This is kinda of interesting, the principal reason the French baled out of the Eurofighter program was because they wanted a carrier born version. This of course led to the Rafale (which is very similar to the Typhhon in most respects).

Now in conjuction with the French, the British are considering building 2 brand new 40,000 ton carriers. To my knowledge there is no SVOTL version of the Eurofighter which means the British would have to go back to conventional carrier aircraft (catapults and arrester hooks). That would be a fundimental change in RN tactics.

Of course (and this is just an opinion) the Naval version of the Rafale is already operational, perhaps the British would choose that?

Just found a really good article very good read...
http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/007838.php

Last edited:
Back