UK considers not purchasing JSF's

--

February 26th, 2006  
memoryex

Topic: UK considers not purchasing JSF's

well looks like the yanks dont want the business. They refuse to transfer the tech required to repair the plane and it looks like they could refuse the codes to allow the use of these planes when the pentagon doesnt want them used. Way to go. Personally if they cant trust us to keep to the terms then they cant trust anyone. Looks like we'll go for the marine rafale.
February 26th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Does this mean that any country that does buy the aircraft can find their entire JSF fleet grounded because some American bigwig flipped some switch ?
February 26th, 2006  
KC72

Got a link for this please?
--
February 26th, 2006  
Rabs

I dont know mohmar but that would be awesome lol.

Especially if we did it with-out them knowing it.
February 27th, 2006  
memoryex

have a look at this site

http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/007838.php
February 27th, 2006  
Whispering Death

England has remained a steadfast ally of America for many many years and they have one of the most impressive millitaries in the world. There is no reason not to let them have full access to the JSF.
February 27th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoryex
well looks like the yanks dont want the business. They refuse to transfer the tech required to repair the plane and it looks like they could refuse the codes to allow the use of these planes when the pentagon doesnt want them used. Way to go. Personally if they cant trust us to keep to the terms then they cant trust anyone. Looks like we'll go for the marine rafale.
got an official link to this?
February 27th, 2006  
Damien435

Hmm, the link provided states that most Americans don't know about this problem. Judging by how this was written, most Brits don't know about this problem either.
February 27th, 2006  
Kirruth

Well, as part of the new aircraft carrier-centred "big ship" naval upgrade, the JSF is one of Britain's key defense projects (the others being the FRES rapid deployment armored vehicles and the replacement of the strategic nuclear deterrent). All of these have a substantial American component, and for Britain to pull out of one for ITAR reasons, it has to raise questions regarding the other projects.

I think there is real tension between Britain's economic alignment with the European Union countries, vs. its military alignment with the UKUSA countries (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand).

If the Americans unreasonably limit access to weapons systems, the UK will necessarily purchase them from its European allies. I'd suggest that this would have the outcome of strengthening European military capability, while diminishing American influence over British foreign and military policy.

Let's hope the US Congress comes to its senses

(edit:shortened)
February 27th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
I dont know mohmar but that would be awesome lol.

Especially if we did it with-out them knowing it.
It would, because it would teach those darn Brits and anyone else not to rely on US equipment so much