UK considers not purchasing JSF's

The F-22 has this feature, Israel has added it to their F-15's and F-16I's and as for the Mig-29, that I am not sure of.

This doesn't surprise me. All of Egypt's M1A2's have the same system, if some on in the Petegon doesn't want them using the BFTm POS/NAV, FCS, or any other satillite or radio related systems all they got to do is turn on the crypto.

zander_0633 said:
well, from the looks, those russina planes look superb!

Remember it's not looks that count. The F-22 isn't the best looking bird but thats because of her RAM.

For those of you not in the know

To me it looks like an F-16 and a F-18 mated and grew canards.

su-35_0002.jpg

I thought the J-10 was an independent Chinese design meant that was meant to be as versatile as the F-16.

MoD Sets Out Ultimatum To US Over Joint Strike Fighter

Tuesday, March 14, 2006
file10403.jpg
shim.gif

Defence procurement minister Lord Drayson will tell the powerful US Senate Armed Services Committee next week that the UK must receive critical technical data about the F-35 joint strike fighter if it is to proceed with the project.

Drayson will say that the UK is committed to the $200bn programme - it has made a preliminary order for 150 of the vertical take-off variants of the aircraft - but that it must have the capability to upgrade the aircraft and be allowed 'operational sovereignty'.

The JSF is crucial to the Ministry of Defence's strategy of 'expeditionary warfare', based on air power from two new aircraft carriers currently being designed by a team led by BAE Systems.

The MoD is locked in a struggle with the Pentagon to secure an agreement on technology transfer that would allow UK contractors to carry out upgrades and servicing on the planes. This would mean the US revealing details of software used in the aircraft's design that it has hitherto refused to divulge.

The MoD has submitted a list of requirements to the US Department of Defence and requires an answer before 6 December, when it aims to sign a memorandum of understanding to move from the development phase to the manufacturing phase of the project. Drayson has said the MoD is also developing a 'Plan B' option that would involve prolonging the life of RAF Harriers, eventually replacing them with either Eurofighter Typhoons or French Rafale aircraft.

We want to sell F-22s off like hotcakes but we cant give our closest ally info on a less capable fighter. Sigh.

LeEnfield, could you tell me your info-source please (link...) ? Anyway I can't see how the UK could navalize the Eurofighter, it was not fitted for this kind of missions. :-?

LeEnfield, could you tell me your info-source please (link...) ? Anyway I can't see how the UK could navalize the Eurofighter, it was not fitted for this kind of missions.

You can theoretically navalize any plane, with a big neough catapult and a flight deck.

Back