U.S. to Withdraw 24 Attack Choppers from Korea - Page 2

--

November 18th, 2008  
rock45

13th Redneck
What 2 million troops is he talking about? Does China have forces like that near North Korea's border.

If would be difficult to counter US air power period I get that but isn't South Korea's Air Force more then enough? I am over estimating South Korea's forces?
November 19th, 2008  
mmarsh

Redneck

1. You're assuming the US would be able to hold the line, I don't that's possible, not with the small number of forces currently stationed at the border. I think that US and SK forces would be brushed aside or destroyed if they attempted any type of strong static defense at the border.

2. That's regardless. Any military aggression against the Republic of Korea would bring immediate US Military action, regardless if US forces were stationed there at the time or not. That's been the policy for the past 50 years.

3. Even more of a reason to move them further back. Getting back to #1, Any North Korean/Chinese Invasion would involve a significant penetration. into South Korean lines. Its safer to move the USAF airbases and US. ARMY FOBs because by the time the Alert is given the Enemy Tanks will have made significant territorial gains.

Rock

The North has a standing army of 2 Million. How much of that is actually combat ready is unknown, but in terms of pure manpower they are huge.
November 19th, 2008  
rock45

Thanks mmarsh I get what your saying I didn't know that. That opens another can of worms because like you mention how much is that combat ready.

I follow arms trades a little and North Korea hasn't bought a lot of new equipment in mass in many years. I think the type of fighting that took place during the first Korean war wouldn't work as well in modern combat. It's safe to assume that a lot of that 2 million is holding the country in check and keeping Kim II in control so I cant see them all being combat troops and near the south.

I may be totally wrong but I don't see South Korea as the underdog here not with it's Air Force. North Korea has a squadron or so of early model Fulcrums and a bunch of Mig-23, can't believe that many of those fighters could fly two sorties in a row. Never mind go toe to toe with South Korean F-15's and F-16's not even counting what the US can bring to the table.

No modern SAM's purchases that I can remember I realize China could move those down pretty quickly if need be.
--
November 19th, 2008  
A Can of Man

1) You still don't get it. I'm not going to give you any of the battle plans but American presence on the ground is not what's most important. It's their presence at sea and air. That's the factor. Is the line going to hold? You bet your ass it will. Moving from the border southwards is a nightmare even without someone with air superiority and hilltop positions firing away at you. The roads won't help you much and you'll encounter hill after hill after hill and river after river after river.

2) Any strong military intervention against South Korea by North Korea would bring about American intervention. But for anyone else, the possibility of having hundreds of American servicemen dead from their attack would be an ultimate nightmare scenario. If no such event occurs, it is possible that the United States stays out of the war. Defending Korea's been the policy of the past 50 years but stranger things have happened. Mostly it's South Korea's fault but again, you just don't know.

3) Actually an invading Army's tanks will be their headache because
a. The terrain is not suitable for tanks except for down express ways and roads. Where they go they will be greeted by South Korean K1A1s and K1s which are basically M1s and M1A1s. They're generations better than what at least North Korea fields. The North Korean armored invasion is actually now not the biggest concern anymore since these newer tanks have entered service. Also, North Korean tankers are poorly trained and a great number of their armor doesn't even run and are being canibalized for parts.
The USAF is already pulled back. It's always been that way.

North Korea's military has about 2 million people under arms. Except for their 100,000 man strong Special Operations forces they are in piss poor shape. Without air cover, once the RoK and US air forces take out North Korean SAM, B-52s are going to make them miserable. Not to mention South Korean artillery which fields the latest generation K-9 SPH which is among the best SPH in the world. Means these guys are far more survivable than their northern counterparts.
If anything happens, it's going to be a miserable day for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Redneck

1. You're assuming the US would be able to hold the line, I don't that's possible, not with the small number of forces currently stationed at the border. I think that US and SK forces would be brushed aside or destroyed if they attempted any type of strong static defense at the border.

2. That's regardless. Any military aggression against the Republic of Korea would bring immediate US Military action, regardless if US forces were stationed there at the time or not. That's been the policy for the past 50 years.

3. Even more of a reason to move them further back. Getting back to #1, Any North Korean/Chinese Invasion would involve a significant penetration. into South Korean lines. Its safer to move the USAF airbases and US. ARMY FOBs because by the time the Alert is given the Enemy Tanks will have made significant territorial gains.

Rock

The North has a standing army of 2 Million. How much of that is actually combat ready is unknown, but in terms of pure manpower they are huge.