U.S. to Withdraw 24 Attack Choppers from Korea

rock45

U.S. to Withdraw 24 Attack Choppers from Korea
The U.S. will withdraw one battalion of Apache helicopters to the mainland U.S. but replace them with 12 air-to-ground attack aircraft. The U.S. will also deploy two mine-sweeping MH-53E Sea Dragon helicopters and increase the frequency of operation of U-2 reconnaissance aircraft over North Korea, in addition to the A-10 aircraft known as "tank killers."

Defense Ministry spokesman Won Tae-je told reporters the U.S. Forces Korea will deploy the attack aircraft early next year. Around March, the USFK will withdraw one of the two Apache helicopter battalions, or 24 choppers, stationed in Korea.

The Apache helicopters, which will go to Fort Carson, Colorado, are expected to be redeployed to Iraq or Afghanistan after a period of training.
<br></br>
<br>
The measure is aimed at placating fears of a vacuum in the USFK's war readiness due to the withdrawal of the Apache helicopters. The U.S. apparently wants to show that it can redeploy USFK troops and equipment anytime to anywhere in the world for its “war on terror.”

Military experts believe that there will be no noticeable shortfall in capabilities as a result, but they note that the A-10 aircraft will not be able to fulfill all the functions of the Apaches.

Lt. Gen. Joseph Fil, commander of the Eighth U.S. Army, said nobody knows when A-10 aircraft could in turn be replaced but added the U.S. remains “fully committed” to the defense of Korea and the overall security and stability of the region.

The U.S. will continue to maintain about 28,500 troops in South Korea.

Link
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200811/200811170004.html

Yeah I heard.
I encourage the US to pull out all its troops. Then we'll have a real party. The last part will involve either dying or swimming to Japan.

Troops

Withstanding China getting involved wouldn't South Korea's well trained and equipped Armed Forces handle North Korea? Air power rules and NK air force is outdated and I'm sure gets a lot less training hours as South Korea's does, so South Korea holds a huge edge. Now off setting that artillery pointed south and I assume rockets that's another story. I don't know how to stop artillery without taking out the cannons themselves and their command & control.

An off the wall question I have read a few fiction books about the north attacking the south. Did South Korea (government/military) ever come up with a war-time plans to attack the north? Or would that be crazy because China would assist? Just thought it would be interesting to flip it around for once.
icon5.gif

Rock45, those questions are for those well above my pay grade.
But if you ask me, once America's gone China's going to step right in. Just like old times. There's a variety of ways they can do it but a partial military roll over in the destruction of South Korea's military would provide them with a huge sense of pride and superiority and would rally a whole generation that supremacy in this side of the world is possible.
They'll probably want to capture South Korea's infrastructure intact so probably the heavy duty destruction will happen in North Korea. Once South Korea's military is destroyed, it'll be the return to the vassalage relationship just as things were for hundreds of years before.

South vs North

Hi the_13th_redneck
I can see some US Pentagon plan drawn up if the " South needs to attack" ?
Massive air strikes against air defenses and command and control and of course any and all artillery that can be targeted. I don't see the north having enough modern anti-tank weapons and forces to stop a real all hell bent push. South Korea and US armor racing north with supporting artillery rolling behind them plus tac air seems unstoppable. I know securing the flanks would be difficult and getting important supplies like fuel, ammo, and medical to follow this push also difficult.
:tank:
On the down side those same valleys with thin roads and high mountain sides the north would have to past through to attack the south would have to be pasted through by South Korean and American forces as not an easy feat to do in real life I guess.

I don't know enough about both countries navies but assume South Korea's is better equipped and could play a big part in such a attack? Just thought it was interesting to reverse it for once.:2guns:

13th Redneck

The US has only 37000 troops in South Korea, they don't need to wait for the US to leave. If China or North Korea wanted to step in there wouldn't be a thing we could do about it in the short term. 37000 troops (many of which are non-combat roles) is not going to hold off a 2 Million man offensive thrust for very long.

So its better that they are redeployed. Better to have them as part of a counterattack force based either in the south or in Japan to meet the invader as his attack begins to peter out than face the Tsunami head on when its at its strongest. This was exactly the strategy NATO used when they faced the Soviets during the Cold War, let the Soviets invade Western German/Eastern France and than counter attack from the UK-Western/Central France when they have lost the momentum.

Does China have that many forces on North Korea's border? I can't see North Korea having two million soldiers ready for battle.

US presence does certain things:
1) The ones here mean that re-enforcements can be ready to go and equipped quickly
2) Invasion means the invaders will have to engage Americans which means it will bring America into the war.
3) The MOST important part about American presence is not infantry or heavy armor units but air power and resupply.

The counterattack will involve Marines in Okinawa. So they're already there. But the pullout of Apaches is never a good thing.
Believe me, I pretty much know these sort of things down to the core. Why it is so damned important that American units are stationed here.

13th Redneck

The US has only 37000 troops in South Korea, they don't need to wait for the US to leave. If China or North Korea wanted to step in there wouldn't be a thing we could do about it in the short term. 37000 troops (many of which are non-combat roles) is not going to hold off a 2 Million man offensive thrust for very long.

So its better that they are redeployed. Better to have them as part of a counterattack force based either in the south or in Japan to meet the invader as his attack begins to peter out than face the Tsunami head on when its at its strongest. This was exactly the strategy NATO used when they faced the Soviets during the Cold War, let the Soviets invade Western German/Eastern France and than counter attack from the UK-Western/Central France when they have lost the momentum.

13th Redneck
What 2 million troops is he talking about? Does China have forces like that near North Korea's border.

If would be difficult to counter US air power period I get that but isn't South Korea's Air Force more then enough? I am over estimating South Korea's forces?
icon5.gif

Redneck

1. You're assuming the US would be able to hold the line, I don't that's possible, not with the small number of forces currently stationed at the border. I think that US and SK forces would be brushed aside or destroyed if they attempted any type of strong static defense at the border.

2. That's regardless. Any military aggression against the Republic of Korea would bring immediate US Military action, regardless if US forces were stationed there at the time or not. That's been the policy for the past 50 years.

3. Even more of a reason to move them further back. Getting back to #1, Any North Korean/Chinese Invasion would involve a significant penetration. into South Korean lines. Its safer to move the USAF airbases and US. ARMY FOBs because by the time the Alert is given the Enemy Tanks will have made significant territorial gains.

Rock

The North has a standing army of 2 Million. How much of that is actually combat ready is unknown, but in terms of pure manpower they are huge.

Thanks mmarsh I get what your saying I didn't know that. That opens another can of worms because like you mention how much is that combat ready.

I follow arms trades a little and North Korea hasn't bought a lot of new equipment in mass in many years. I think the type of fighting that took place during the first Korean war wouldn't work as well in modern combat. It's safe to assume that a lot of that 2 million is holding the country in check and keeping Kim II in control so I cant see them all being combat troops and near the south.

I may be totally wrong but I don't see South Korea as the underdog here not with it's Air Force. North Korea has a squadron or so of early model Fulcrums and a bunch of Mig-23, can't believe that many of those fighters could fly two sorties in a row. Never mind go toe to toe with South Korean F-15's and F-16's not even counting what the US can bring to the table.

No modern SAM's purchases that I can remember I realize China could move those down pretty quickly if need be.

Last edited:
1) You still don't get it. I'm not going to give you any of the battle plans but American presence on the ground is not what's most important. It's their presence at sea and air. That's the factor. Is the line going to hold? You bet your ass it will. Moving from the border southwards is a nightmare even without someone with air superiority and hilltop positions firing away at you. The roads won't help you much and you'll encounter hill after hill after hill and river after river after river.

2) Any strong military intervention against South Korea by North Korea would bring about American intervention. But for anyone else, the possibility of having hundreds of American servicemen dead from their attack would be an ultimate nightmare scenario. If no such event occurs, it is possible that the United States stays out of the war. Defending Korea's been the policy of the past 50 years but stranger things have happened. Mostly it's South Korea's fault but again, you just don't know.

3) Actually an invading Army's tanks will be their headache because
a. The terrain is not suitable for tanks except for down express ways and roads. Where they go they will be greeted by South Korean K1A1s and K1s which are basically M1s and M1A1s. They're generations better than what at least North Korea fields. The North Korean armored invasion is actually now not the biggest concern anymore since these newer tanks have entered service. Also, North Korean tankers are poorly trained and a great number of their armor doesn't even run and are being canibalized for parts.
The USAF is already pulled back. It's always been that way.

North Korea's military has about 2 million people under arms. Except for their 100,000 man strong Special Operations forces they are in piss poor shape. Without air cover, once the RoK and US air forces take out North Korean SAM, B-52s are going to make them miserable. Not to mention South Korean artillery which fields the latest generation K-9 SPH which is among the best SPH in the world. Means these guys are far more survivable than their northern counterparts.
If anything happens, it's going to be a miserable day for them.

Redneck

1. You're assuming the US would be able to hold the line, I don't that's possible, not with the small number of forces currently stationed at the border. I think that US and SK forces would be brushed aside or destroyed if they attempted any type of strong static defense at the border.

2. That's regardless. Any military aggression against the Republic of Korea would bring immediate US Military action, regardless if US forces were stationed there at the time or not. That's been the policy for the past 50 years.

3. Even more of a reason to move them further back. Getting back to #1, Any North Korean/Chinese Invasion would involve a significant penetration. into South Korean lines. Its safer to move the USAF airbases and US. ARMY FOBs because by the time the Alert is given the Enemy Tanks will have made significant territorial gains.

Rock

The North has a standing army of 2 Million. How much of that is actually combat ready is unknown, but in terms of pure manpower they are huge.

Back