U.S. Will Be in Iraq for Years, Powell Says




 
--
Boots
 
December 18th, 2005  
phoenix80
 
 

Topic: U.S. Will Be in Iraq for Years, Powell Says


U.S. Will Be in Iraq for Years, Powell Says

LATimes
17-12-05

Ex-secretary of State predicts a gradual reduction in troops to start in 2006, but says there will be a military presence for a long time.

From Associated Press

LONDON — Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said in an interview to be broadcast today that the United States would have a military presence in Iraq for years, although a gradual withdrawal probably would start in 2006.

In the interview with the British Broadcasting Corp., Powell said a massive, rapid pullout would be a "tragic mistake."

He also said U.S. intelligence services had not revealed their doubts to the Bush administration about the reliability of information on Iraq's supposed weapons of mass destruction.

"What really upset me more than anything else was that there were people in the intelligence community that had doubts about some of this sourcing, but those doubts never surfaced up to us," Powell said in the interview, according to a transcript.

Last week, President Bush said the responsibility for invading Iraq based partly on the faulty intelligence rested solely with him.

In the BBC interview, Powell said he did not believe the U.S. could sustain its current deployment "for an extended period."

"So one way or the other, I think a drawdown will begin in 2006," he said.

"But essentially just to walk away, to say that we're taking all of our troops out as fast as we can, would be a tragic mistake. It's going to be years."



http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ck=1&cset=true

--------------------
Like Japan, Korea and Germany, I believe the US troops will stay in Iraq for years to come!

What do you think?
December 18th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI
 
The major withdrawal of US forces will probably begin in 2008 according to their sources.

But still they indicate maintaining of at least 2 longe-term military bases in IRAQ and 1 such base in Kuwait even after massive withdrawal process. This means that US troops will stay in IRAQ for long term basis and not as a occupier, but will play a checker role (after massive withdrawal process).
December 18th, 2005  
localgrizzly
 
 
And why not?

We've had troops in Korea, Germany, Japan, England etc. since WW2.

And we still have troops in Bosnia and Kosovo!

At least we have a reason for having troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm still trying to fnd a reason for EVER having troops in Bosnia or Kosovo. Those are purely European problems that should have been dealt with by Europe.

And what did we get in repayenmt for helping the Europeans in Bosnia and Kosovo? We got spit in our faces from our so-called friends!

And IMHO, our troops should have been withdrawn from Europe and Japan 40 years ago. The Europeans amd Japanese have been getting a free ride on their national defense at the expense opf the American taxpayer for too many years. Far too many years.
--
Boots
December 18th, 2005  
Chief Bones
 
 
International Military Forums > International News > Other News of Interest
White House never told of pre-Iraq war intelligence doubts
by Team Infidel

Above thread was also started about this very same interview. The only difference is that the discussion was about Intelligence doubts.

The information about how long troops would stay was also mentioned in the initial post thread.
December 18th, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Grizzly, Japan is a key ally in the region and the Europenas arn't bennefiting much of anything from our presencs... we are bennefiting from using bases in their countries.
December 18th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer
 
I think that's probably right. We'll be in there for awhile yet. I wonder though, is there a possibility that we'll see pressured withdrawals? I think it's pretty obvious that at least half of the American public does not see the danger in a premature withdrawl, and that the current administration is incapable of conveying and convincing people of the danger- at least on a large scale. So unless the casualties go down in the future, will there be more vocal anti-war sentiment, and if so, does it have a possibility of actually effecting the withdrawal process?
December 18th, 2005  
Morten
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by localgrizzly
And we still have troops in Bosnia and Kosovo!

At least we have a reason for having troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm still trying to fnd a reason for EVER having troops in Bosnia or Kosovo. Those are purely European problems that should have been dealt with by Europe.

And what did we get in repayenmt for helping the Europeans in Bosnia and Kosovo? We got spit in our faces from our so-called friends!
lmao... so u say that we aren't taking our responsibility? we have soldiers at all the hot spots in europe! if someone should be grateful(sp?) it should be the US! we can withdraw our troops from Iraq and Afghanistan now if u'd like, and leave it all for u guys to handle. EU isn't a country, remember that! we're individuals and so we think differently. flaming EU like that is childish and it just shows how little u know about us!
December 19th, 2005  
phoenix80
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Grizzly, Japan is a key ally in the region and the Europenas arn't bennefiting much of anything from our presencs... we are bennefiting from using bases in their countries.
Europenas arn't bennefiting much of anything from our presencs

The economy of those parts of Germany that US has troops and airbases in completely depend on the US GIs spending their money there

Once Pres. Bush declared massive withdrawal of US troops from Germany, the whole German people were upset.
December 19th, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
Once Pres. Bush declared massive withdrawal of US troops from Germany, the whole German people were upset.
Yeah, but that's small potatos really, the same thing happens in America when we propose to close bases here. There isn't really any effect on germany as a whole, just the localized economies.
December 19th, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET
 
 
Quote:
We've had troops in Korea, Germany, Japan, England etc. since WW2.

And we still have troops in Bosnia and Kosovo!

At least we have a reason for having troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm still trying to fnd a reason for EVER having troops in Bosnia or Kosovo. Those are purely European problems that should have been dealt with by Europe.

And what did we get in repayenmt for helping the Europeans in Bosnia and Kosovo? We got spit in our faces from our so-called friends!
spit in our faces?
Where do you come off saying that? did you seriously read and rethink before you clicked your post button, "so called friend." explain yourself.