U.S. Will Be in Iraq for Years, Powell Says

phoenix80

Banned
U.S. Will Be in Iraq for Years, Powell Says

LATimes
17-12-05

Ex-secretary of State predicts a gradual reduction in troops to start in 2006, but says there will be a military presence for a long time.

From Associated Press

LONDON — Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said in an interview to be broadcast today that the United States would have a military presence in Iraq for years, although a gradual withdrawal probably would start in 2006.

In the interview with the British Broadcasting Corp., Powell said a massive, rapid pullout would be a "tragic mistake."

He also said U.S. intelligence services had not revealed their doubts to the Bush administration about the reliability of information on Iraq's supposed weapons of mass destruction.

"What really upset me more than anything else was that there were people in the intelligence community that had doubts about some of this sourcing, but those doubts never surfaced up to us," Powell said in the interview, according to a transcript.

Last week, President Bush said the responsibility for invading Iraq based partly on the faulty intelligence rested solely with him.

In the BBC interview, Powell said he did not believe the U.S. could sustain its current deployment "for an extended period."

"So one way or the other, I think a drawdown will begin in 2006," he said.

"But essentially just to walk away, to say that we're taking all of our troops out as fast as we can, would be a tragic mistake. It's going to be years."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-powell18dec18,1,423387.story?coll=la-headlines-world&ctrack=1&cset=true

--------------------
Like Japan, Korea and Germany, I believe the US troops will stay in Iraq for years to come!

What do you think?

The major withdrawal of US forces will probably begin in 2008 according to their sources.

But still they indicate maintaining of at least 2 longe-term military bases in IRAQ and 1 such base in Kuwait even after massive withdrawal process. This means that US troops will stay in IRAQ for long term basis and not as a occupier, but will play a checker role (after massive withdrawal process).

And why not?

We've had troops in Korea, Germany, Japan, England etc. since WW2.

And we still have troops in Bosnia and Kosovo!

At least we have a reason for having troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm still trying to fnd a reason for EVER having troops in Bosnia or Kosovo. Those are purely European problems that should have been dealt with by Europe.

And what did we get in repayenmt for helping the Europeans in Bosnia and Kosovo? We got spit in our faces from our so-called friends!

And IMHO, our troops should have been withdrawn from Europe and Japan 40 years ago. The Europeans amd Japanese have been getting a free ride on their national defense at the expense opf the American taxpayer for too many years. Far too many years.

Grizzly, Japan is a key ally in the region and the Europenas arn't bennefiting much of anything from our presencs... we are bennefiting from using bases in their countries.

I think that's probably right. We'll be in there for awhile yet. I wonder though, is there a possibility that we'll see pressured withdrawals? I think it's pretty obvious that at least half of the American public does not see the danger in a premature withdrawl, and that the current administration is incapable of conveying and convincing people of the danger- at least on a large scale. So unless the casualties go down in the future, will there be more vocal anti-war sentiment, and if so, does it have a possibility of actually effecting the withdrawal process?

localgrizzly said:

At least we have a reason for having troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm still trying to fnd a reason for EVER having troops in Bosnia or Kosovo. Those are purely European problems that should have been dealt with by Europe.

And what did we get in repayenmt for helping the Europeans in Bosnia and Kosovo? We got spit in our faces from our so-called friends!

lmao... so u say that we aren't taking our responsibility? we have soldiers at all the hot spots in europe! if someone should be grateful(sp?) it should be the US! we can withdraw our troops from Iraq and Afghanistan now if u'd like, and leave it all for u guys to handle. EU isn't a country, remember that! we're individuals and so we think differently. flaming EU like that is childish and it just shows how little u know about us!

Whispering Death said:
Grizzly, Japan is a key ally in the region and the Europenas arn't bennefiting much of anything from our presencs... we are bennefiting from using bases in their countries.

Europenas arn't bennefiting much of anything from our presencs

The economy of those parts of Germany that US has troops and airbases in completely depend on the US GIs spending their money there

Once Pres. Bush declared massive withdrawal of US troops from Germany, the whole German people were upset.

phoenix80 said:
Once Pres. Bush declared massive withdrawal of US troops from Germany, the whole German people were upset.

Yeah, but that's small potatos really, the same thing happens in America when we propose to close bases here. There isn't really any effect on germany as a whole, just the localized economies.

We've had troops in Korea, Germany, Japan, England etc. since WW2.

spit in our faces?:confused:
Where do you come off saying that? did you seriously read and rethink before you clicked your post button, "so called friend." :confused: explain yourself.

FULLMETALJACKET said:
spit in our faces?:confused:
Where do you come off saying that? did you seriously read and rethink before you clicked your post button, "so called friend." :confused: explain yourself.

Some of the countries in Europe have proven their friendship, and some, like Spain, have proven their cowardice. But most of the "powers" in Europe, i.e. Germany, France, Belgium etc have condenmed us for our war on terror.

Remember, these so-called "allies" were the first to ask for our help when they wanted "regime change" in Serbia. The Serbs had done us no harm, but because our "allies" asked for our help, we bombed Serbia back to the stone age!

Now these same "allies" condemn us for "regime change" in Iraq.

Why? simple! They were all doing business, a very profitale business, "under the table" with Saddam Hussein.

Back