U.S. Troops Deleted Images After Attack, Journalists Say

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Arizona Republic (Phoenix)
March 5, 2007
By Associated Press
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan journalists covering the aftermath of a suicide bomb attack and shooting in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday claimed that U.S. troops deleted their photos and video and warned them not to publish or air any images of U.S. troops or a car where three Afghans were shot to death.
Afghan witnesses and gunshot victims said U.S. forces fired on civilians in cars and on foot along at least a six-mile stretch of road in Nangarhar province following a suicide attack against the Marine convoy.
The U.S. military said militants also fired on U.S. forces during the attack.
A freelance photographer working for the Associated Press and a cameraman working for AP Television News said a U.S. soldier deleted their photos and video showing a four-wheel drive vehicle in which three people were shot to death about 100 yards from the suicide bombing.
The photographer, Rahmat Gul, said witnesses at the scene told him the three had been shot to death by U.S. forces fleeing the attack.
The two AP freelancers arrived at the site about a half hour after the suicide bombing, Gul said.
"When I went near the four-wheel drive, I saw the Americans taking pictures of the same car, so I started taking pictures," Gul said. "Two soldiers with a translator came and said, 'Why are you taking pictures? You don't have permission.' "
Gul said the U.S. troops took his camera, deleted his photos and returned it to him.

About damn time they took charge of these journalists and controlled the flow of information.

Back