U.S. threatens to steal Iraq oil money

"Washington threatened to use any means to seize Iraqi assets if we do not support the security pact..."

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Washington has threatened to seize Iraqi assets and oil money if Baghdad rejects a controversial US-proposed security pact, Iraq says.

Upon arrival in Iraq from Washington, President Jalal Talabani told reporters that he is concerned over Washington threats.

"Washington threatened to use any means to seize Iraqi assets if we do not support the security pact," Marsadiraq quoted Talabani as saying.

Washington currently seeks to sign a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with Baghdad to give legal basis to its military and political presence in oil-rich Iraq after a UN mandate defining its status expires on December 31.

While there have been indications that the proposed pact may conditionally require US troops stationed in Iraq to leave the country by the end of 2011, it does not necessitate a withdrawal unless Baghdad can fully restore stability in the country.

The deal has been severely criticized by prominent Iraqi political and religious figures, who say it would undermine the country's national sovereignty.

In late August, thousands of Iraqis took to the streets to denounce the agreement. The security deal will allow permanent American bases in the country and will grant US personnel immunity from prosecution inside the bases. The Americans, however, would be liable for prosecution outside their bases.

As controversy surrounds the proposed pact, the US may not be able to convince Iraq to sign the agreement. On Monday, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and parliament declared that any deal should take Iraqi interests into consideration.

Maliki warned that US pressure would only create a political discord inside the Middle Eastern country and threaten the democratically-elected government.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=167834
[/FONT]

Well according to the article on Talabani's return to Iraq he stated the this is what U.S. threatened, now if it in fact came from Talabani's mouth their could be some sort of truth to it..... Remember the same way America threatened Musharaf that they will bomb Pakistan to the stoneage in order to get his cooperation? Looking at America's history of strong arming countries in order to get their way, its believable.

Al Jazeera = Iraq's Fox News

Fair and balanced. We insist. :cowb:

If it's true though, it's like modern barbarism. You can't dictate your chit to a democratically elected government. If you need money, don't hand it out free to failed CEOs.

Al Jazeera = Iraq's Fox News

Fair and balanced. We insist. :cowb:

Hehe that reminds me of something I read yesterday:

Teen Mom's for Palin...

Because one mistake deserves another.

Anyway I am not entirely certain I disagree agree with the idea of making Iraq pay for its security given that it is clearly making a reasonable income and shows no desire to want to take over security for itself.

It begins

UnitedSomalia
"Washington threatened to use any means to seize Iraqi assets if we do not support the security pact...
"

Who in Washington said we would use any means? Stop believing stupid junk like this from that "death to the west site" and posting it here. You have a computer Google it then post the name of who made the comment. Some sort of comment might have been made I don't doubt it but not in the form you quoted it. If it were true wouldn't be be doing it already there would be a line of American oil tankers reaching out to the India Ocean.

At this point I think Iraq should pay a little why shouldn't they. Weapons training and security is worth it and were needed to protect their oil. They cant even stop killing each other longer enough to kick us out. Outsiders just walking in from Iran and Syria messing up any chance for peace.

UnitedSomalia they cut off peoples heads on Al Jazeera

Last edited:
Maliki warned that US pressure would only create a political discord inside the Middle Eastern country and threaten the democratically-elected government.
Well, the guy does have a very valid point there. Iraq is very vulnerable at the moment and the last thing the US and the rest of the world need is a fully blown Iraqi civil war.

Back