Is U.S. Stuck in Internet's Slow Lane?

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Is U.S. Stuck in Internet's Slow Lane?
NEW YORK (AP) - The United States is starting to look like a slowpoke on the Internet. Examples abound of countries that have faster and cheaper broadband connections, and more of their population connected to them. What's less clear is how badly the country that gave birth to the Internet is...

The article is 100% correct. As I write this post I am using a 20 megabit per second ADSL2 connection and paying about 20$ a month.
In the states they don't even have normal ADSL and its like $60 for regular DSL at 8mbs. ADSL3 is in testing as we speak. So yes there is a severe problem in the states, and that problem is due to the USA ancient telephone infrustucture.

If we weren't so busy bombing brown people, we could rewire the country in Fiber Optics and provide fast cheap internet to everybody like they have in Europe and Asia.

We are number 16 in most wired countries, thats PATHETIC.

Wanna try rural Australia? ADSL 128 Kbps A$60 per month (US$55).

And we have the highest computer usage per head of population in the world. Go figure?

Wanna try rural Australia? ADSL 128 Kbps A$60 per month (US$55).

And we have the highest computer usage per head of population in the world. Go figure?

We are not a lot better 4 megabit down and maybe 1 up for $50 a month (US$40) and thats capped at 30gig traffic for the month, I think its about NZ$80 for unlimited traffic.

However we have been promised that the entire country will be ADSL2 within 4 years in fact many of the major exchanges are already done however I am wont be convinced until I see more FOC going in.

As soon as there is a certain amount of demand, the companies will be scrambling to remedy this situation. Verizon is already laying miles of fiberoptic cables in major cities.

As soon as there is a certain amount of demand, the companies will be scrambling to remedy this situation. Verizon is already laying miles of fiberoptic cables in major cities.

I know my connection while in the Phoenix (through COX cable) is tolerable but not great and I have friends in Texas that can still only get Dial Up which really surprises me.

I think this is just one of those cyclic events though, you buy new technology and for a while it is fine but over time you get passed by newer technology until you update and it starts all over again.

I think that it is the case of "the chicken or the Egg" here in Australia. Potential users are waiting for higher speeds and Telstra is waiting for more users before they upgrade the system. In the meantime the opposing political parties play one another off against the consumers and we go nowhere.

I run off fiber optic cable and pay $20 a month. My current speed is 100.0 Mbps.

Are you sure you don't mean your Ethernet speed? Thats the "Connected at 100mbs" pop-up window you see in Windows. That only refers to the speed your NiC is going, for example between the PC and the DSL Modem is clocked at 100mbs, but that does not mean your actual Internet connection speed. All NiCs run at 100mbs. The Windows popup is very misleading, lots of people confuse the NiC LAN speed as their actual internet speed, its a common error.

We are talking about Internet Connection speeds, the speed your DSL/Cable modem sends and receives data on the internet.

I am assuming its a commercial ISP, you should check your invoice to see what speed you have, I will gladly help if you need it. Of course if its a non-commercial system (i.e Governmental system) , in which case its normal that I have never heard of it.

I stand mistaken, in fact its a brand new service. Fiber to premises (FTTP) can reach speeds of 100mbs.

I'd be curious to know which service (Verizon, AT&T, etc) you use.

Last edited:
The same as what happened in the world of aviation from about 1912 onward. American planes fell far behind the French, British, and Germans. We had some good racers in the 20s and 30s, but as we discovered on December 7, 1941 and in the following months, our Wildcats and Warhawks were no match for Zeros and BF-109s and were also pretty much inferior to the Spitfires and Hurricanes...

I use earthlink, and I'm satisfied, but I upgraded from Dial-up, and have never experienced anything else.

Yes but there is a clevet. The Fiber operators don't garentee a 100mbs connection solely for the internet. Usually you buy a Fiber Optic package (TV, Tel, and Internet).

In deals I see in France they are promising only 30mbs which is still better than ADSL2. The rest of the bandwidth is meant for TV and Telephone. So while it is 100mbs connection its not a dedicated 100mbs bandwidth.

The other part I'd like to know is how 5.56 is only paying $20 month. Verizon has theirs for $180 and its only a 50mbs.

I stand mistaken, in fact its a brand new service. Fiber to premises (FTTP) can reach speeds of 100mbs.

I'd be curious to know which service (Verizon, AT&T, etc) you use.

My Internet was at first provided by Bellsouth.Net... they were just bought out by AT&T about a year ago. They just supply my Internet. My phone is still run by Bellsouth. AT&T only bought the internet side of their market. It's been fiber optic since 2003 I think.

Miami Lakes had been wired like that for a while. Nobody in the area uses DSL modems or Dial UP. Just a Fiber Optic line to the house with a CAT5 jack in the wall. I just plug my PC into the wall just like the phone.

We're one of the few areas in Miami that have Fiber Optic. They're slowly changing the entire area to work of it.

The other part I'd like to know is how 5.56 is only paying $20 month. Verizon has theirs for $180 and its only a 50mbs.

I just do... that's the bill. My neighbor pays the same thing. I don't have any special packages. I have basic cable and phone done by Bellsouth. hell, I don't do Caller ID or anything else like that. We used to pay $50 a month but that was dropped to $20 a month after April of 2007.

Last edited:
:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: Stop it!! Stop it!!:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

I think I'll just go and have a good old pity party. You people should be dancing in the streets. meanwhile I'm stuck in fast drying cement here at 256/64 Kb/sec. for US$55 per month.

....WAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Back