U.S. Mulling New Generation of Land Mines

If the Vietnamese and North Koreans blow themselves up on our old mines then sucks for them that they decided to take that ground away from American soldiers.

I'd rather spend the cash on better weapons and body armor for my Infantry, personally.

What a ridiculously stupid and pathetic attitude. What are you trying to say? That it is Vietnam's fault it's children die everyday from American land mines? I am not Anti-US in any way but seriously, you can't blame a country for something you left behind. Vietnam was not as simple as losing ground that contained a minefield so it's not your responsibility anymore. Wars over champ.

And as for the Koreans, well guess what mate, the US has brand new mines across the border still, as a major part of the continous defense of South Korea. This, I am led to beleive, is the main reason the US refused to sign the OTTAWA treaty.

It's dumb comments like that that give Americans a bad name.

Craftsman said:
What a ridiculously stupid and pathetic attitude. What are you trying to say? That it is Vietnam's fault it's children die everyday from American land mines? I am not Anti-US in any way but seriously, you can't blame a country for something you left behind. Vietnam was not as simple as losing ground that contained a minefield so it's not your responsibility anymore. Wars over champ.

Yeah, that's why it's not our problem. Wars over. They wanted it so bad they get it... ALL of it.

How about we do it this way. When Vietnam pays 50,000 families compensation for the American sons that they killed then I'll start worrying about their sons. Until then, tough luck you can spend cash to kill Americans but not save your own people. MY tax dollars are going to keep MY people safe, not my enemy's.

How about we do it this way. When Vietnam pays 50,000 families compensation for the American sons that they killed then I'll start worrying about their sons. Until then, tough luck you can spend cash to kill Americans but not save your own people. MY tax dollars are going to keep MY people safe, not my enemy's.

Thats real funny, i don't seem to recall the NVA reaching the shores of North America and killing her sons. I do recall North American sons reaching the shores of Vietnam and leaving land mines there. Don't try and turn this into a big patriotic pro-American/pro-Vietnam war debate because you won't win.

Quote:

Really??? and how many millions of dollars were tipped into Germany and Japan after WWII??? If you where / are old enough it would have been alot of your tax dollars going there.

i suggested that if they used them in any conflict, the issue of replacement/removal would be a pain in the butt

Thats why ours are surveyed in. you should see the paper work required for laying a mine field.

Seems history is being convienantly forgotten in an effort to blame things on the US. The NVA and Viet Cong planted massive amounts of landmines along with the Viet Minh prior to them. The French, the ARVN, and the US also planted land mines.

As far as the claim that the US should have cleared any fields it planted during withdrawal from RVN. Well there was this little program called Vietnamzation of the conflict. As US forces were withdrawn their bases and minefields and some equipment were turned over to their RVN counterparts.

The Republic of South Vietnam lost the war. Hence they lost control of the minefields. The North Vietnamese won the war to the victors go the spoils right? Also to the victors goes the clean up and the EOD nightmare.

Seems history is being convienantly forgotten in an effort to blame things on the US. The NVA and Viet Cong planted massive amounts of landmines along with the Viet Minh prior to them. The French, the ARVN, and the US also planted land mines.

Mate, nobody is "blaming" the US, we were replying to this :

If the Vietnamese and North Koreans blow themselves up on our old mines then sucks for them that they decided to take that ground away from American soldiers.

I was not trying to single the US out. I'm sure there were Australian mine fields as well.

As far as the claim that the US should have cleared any fields it planted during withdrawal from RVN. Well there was this little program called Vietnamzation of the conflict. As US forces were withdrawn their bases and minefields and some equipment were turned over to their RVN counterparts.

So thats it, they wiped their hands clean of the situation by saying "no, the ARVN had it last they should clean it up!" [/quote]

chewie_nz said:
Doody said:
A single Spider system would involve up to 84 "munitions," each a small disc with six miniature, single-shot grenade launchers. When a nearby tripwire is triggered, one or all the grenades will fire, depending on the setting.

The disks can also be loaded with plastic balls as a nonlethal weapon, Chaplin said.

Each mine runs on a battery which has a life of 30 days. Once the battery dies, then the mine is rendered useless. There is nothing on how the minefield is controlled. My guess is that they are connected by wires which run back to the control station.

pesonally i cant see the problem for anti mine campeigners, i mean most of the mines that are causing problems are one that cant be rendered inert, or those lovely air dropped one that look like toys to kids :x

personally, if it can make themselves inert then i dont see anythign wrong with them at all.

as for putting a new battery in them....i'm sure the designers have thought of that

Or those that look like food containers (might be the same one)

Back