U.S. helicopter shot down in Afghanistan

rock45

U.S. helicopter shot down in Afghanistan-update

U.S. helicopter shot down in Afghanistan

Crew survive, extracted from area; separately, bomber kills 2 U.S. soldiers

updated 1 hour, 55 minutes ago

KABUL, Afghanistan - Insurgents shot down a U.S. helicopter after exchanging fire with its crew in central Afghanistan on Monday, while a suicide bomber in the north killed two U.S. soldiers inside a police station, officials said. The helicopter was forced down in Wardak, one province west of Kabul, after insurgents hit it with gunfire Monday, said Lt. Cmdr. Walter Matthew, a U.S. military spokesman. The crew survived and have been extracted from the area, he said.
"The helicopter crew exchanged fire with the enemy before the damage brought the helicopter down," Matthews said. Coalition troops secured the area and "are in the process of recovering" the helicopter, he said.

At least four militants were killed in the exchange, said Fazel Karim Muslim, the chief of Sayed Abad district. Increased insurgent activity
Wardak province has seen an increase in insurgent activity the last two years, and its main highway is now extremely risky to travel on, particularly at night. In mid-October, a U.S. Special Forces raid freed a kidnapped American working for the Army Corps of Engineers who had been held by his captors in Wardak for two months.
The U.S. and other foreign forces rely heavily on helicopters for transportation around Afghanistan, which is covered by rough mountains and long stretches of desert and has few decent roads.
Insurgents rarely bring down military helicopters, though they have hit several in recent years.
Suicide blast inside police station
Separately, a suicide bomber wearing a police uniform blew himself up inside a police station in northern Afghanistan on Monday, killing two American soldiers and wounding five other people, officials said.
The bomber entered a police station in Pul-e-Khumri, the capital of Baghlan province, while Afghan officials were meeting with U.S. troops advising a police training program, provincial police chief Gen. Abdul Rahman Sayed Kheil said.

The blast killed two American soldiers, a U.S. military spokesman said. Four Afghan security officers were also wounded in the blast, Kheil said.
It was not immediately clear if the bomber was a policeman or just wearing the police uniform.
Zabiullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility for the blast in a phone call to an Associated Press reporter. Mujahid said the bomber's name was Abdul Had and that he was from Baghlan province.
Militants in Afghanistan have in the past disguised themselves in police or army uniforms when attacking Afghan and foreign troops. But actual policemen in the Afghan force were responsible for at least two recent attacks in eastern Afghanistan in which two U.S. soldiers died after police opened fire on them in two separate incidents.

Link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27396864

A update I found

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/10/27/afghanistan.crash.death.ap/?iref=hpmostpop

Last edited:
Truth is, Iraq should be the focus, not Afghanistan. Iraq actually has a sense of purpose. Afghanistan lacks that in any shape or form.

purpose

I kind of understand what your saying but getting the leader in Afghanistan if that's where he really is, is important. My personnel thinking is he's in Pakistan being protected and where looking in the wrong place.

Iraq to me could become a huge problem because of their oil resources. We all know who supports the Taliban and who controls the drug trade in Afghanistan. Iraq's oil reserves are worth 200 times more per day then what Afghanistan's drug trade makes in a year and let face facts their after the oil.

A weak Iraq is a bad thing with Iran next to it and how the breakdown on the people go, it's not good. I hate to say it and not quite on the same level as Saudi Arabia but like how we protect the Kingdom from Iran over the years the same needs to be done to Iraq.

Losing Iraq to either the TANGO's or Iran are both choices we can't afford. Look term were be letting a enemy to be on the Saudi's border a very bad thing. Iran would kill to link up by land with Syria can you imagine how that would change the Gulf and the Middle East? Turkey would be threaten long term as well and would change the make up of the region big time and make the old tanker wars look like chump change.

In time I would like to see Iraq's oil come through Turkey but not sure if that's possible?

Back