U.S. has 5,113 nuclear warheads in stockpile: Pentagon

longriver

U.S. has 5,113 nuclear warheads in stockpile: Pentagon

WASHINGTON, May 3 (Xinhua) -- The Pentagon unveiled Monday the size of U.S. nuclear arsenal for the first time, saying it has a total of 5,113 nuclear warheads in its stockpile.

The information was released almost in the meanwhile as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton delivered her address to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference that just kicked off at the United Nations headquarters in New York City.

It was the first time the Pentagon disclosed the number of U.S. nuclear weapons, which has long been treated as classified information.

Secretary Clinton said that the move is aimed at promoting transparency in the nuclear disarmament regime and encouraging other nations to comply with it.

"For those who doubt that the United States will do its part on disarmament, this is our record, these are our commitments and they send a clear unmistakable signal," she said.

However, the Pentagon's calculations on its nuclear stockpile contradicted with the estimates of some nonprofit groups.

The United States is estimated to possess some 9,400 nuclear weapons, both deployed and in stock, according to a review published late last year in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

The United States and Russia are the world's two largest nuclear-weapon states, possessing more than 90 percent of the world's nuclear warheads in combination.

U.S. President Barack Obama and his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev last month signed a successor treaty to the expired Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), agreeing to slash both nations' arsenals of strategic nuclear warheads to 1,550 over seven years, about a third less than currently permitted.

I think the Pentagon should have annonuced "they had 5,113 nucs, give or take a few".

Then waited to see the expressions on the faces.:lol:

"The Whitehouse anounces today that it can only blow the world up 2 times over instead of 15 times over." ****ing politics, I do hate it.

Could be worse - can you imagine if the Pentagon has said that they didn't have any, it was all a long running April Fool's. That is one for the Onion!!

Well considering how much the West wants other countries to open up and not develop Weapons of Mass Destruction, announcing how many the US has (therefore giving a little transparency) is not a bad gesture. It doesn't really change anything in terms of nuclear capability and it does reduce the hypocracy factor which can make disabling nukes around the world a little easier.
If they announced exactly what kinds of weapons they were and exactly where they were, I'd be pissed.

Well the nuclear super powers always have a return address, so that alone so far has staved off disaster, however I don't think watching the man with thousands of weapons should be the focus of world security and betterment. I think the real threat would come from the man with one weapon....

"The Whitehouse anounces today that it can only blow the world up 2 times over instead of 15 times over." ****ing politics, I do hate it.
If you were an opponent of the USA or USSR, now Russia, among your first targets would be the nuclear stockpiles, correct? So that huge number would be drastically.

That's a lot of garbage in fact, cause at least half of these stocked warheads can't be deployed on the missiles due to their age.
When one recognizes these will not function as designed, so it is CHEAPER... to remove them from the stockpile than to maintain or revitalize them!

Back